Thule Bike Box: Anybody Cramming An MTB Into One?

Old December 7th 05, 05:13 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default Thule Bike Box: Anybody Cramming An MTB Into One?

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
I tried my MTB in one of Performance's cases and it fit pretty well.

Foolishly assuming it would be the same size, I ordered the Thule case based on
reports of the Performance's latches failing in use.

Surprise!..... not even close.

I can get my FS into it by removing the fork and deflating the tires, but it's
not a pretty sight.

Anybody doing this in a more elegant fashion?

How paranoid should I be about bending a rotor?

We told you to get the Trico Iron Case. I can fit my SUV in that thing.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old December 7th 05, 05:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
I tried my MTB in one of Performance's cases and it fit pretty well.

Foolishly assuming it would be the same size, I ordered the Thule case based on
reports of the Performance's latches failing in use.

Surprise!..... not even close.

I can get my FS into it by removing the fork and deflating the tires, but it's
not a pretty sight.

Anybody doing this in a more elegant fashion?

How paranoid should I be about bending a rotor?

Now I realized your a big guy. My frames are 15" and fit perfectly in
the Iron Case, although the 29" wheels pose a big problem. I could see
how an XL frame might be a bit of a problem.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Old December 7th 05, 07:03 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Ride-A-Lot:
I can fit my SUV in that thing.

Do your remove the rotors?

The only items removed from the bike are seatpost, pedals, riser bar,
and wheels. I never had a problem with bent rotors. For extra added
security, you can remove the derailleur. Sometimes it gets a bit too
much pressure and sometimes not.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old December 7th 05, 09:59 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Per Ride-A-Lot:
We told you to get the Trico Iron Case.

That must've slipped past me...
--
PeteCresswell
Old December 7th 05, 10:00 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Per Ride-A-Lot:
I can fit my SUV in that thing.

Do your remove the rotors?
--
PeteCresswell
Old December 8th 05, 03:39 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Per Ride-A-Lot:
For extra added
security, you can remove the derailleur.

Derailleur? What's that?

Oh yeah... those things that get jammed up with weeds and vines and bent out of
shape every time they hit up against something.

You mean people still use them? -)
--
PeteCresswell
Old December 8th 05, 01:49 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
I tried my MTB in one of Performance's cases and it fit pretty well.

Foolishly assuming it would be the same size, I ordered the Thule
case based on reports of the Performance's latches failing in use.

Surprise!..... not even close.

I can get my FS into it by removing the fork and deflating the
tires, but it's not a pretty sight.

Anybody doing this in a more elegant fashion?

How paranoid should I be about bending a rotor?

Now I realized your a big guy. My frames are 15" and fit perfectly in
the Iron Case, although the 29" wheels pose a big problem. I could
see how an XL frame might be a bit of a problem.

Then just cut the frame, duh!
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Evaulating a bike Paul Cassel Techniques 96 August 22nd 05 11:45 PM
My New Bike brucianna General 6 June 8th 05 08:45 AM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 08:44 PM
Who is going to Interbike? Bruce Gilbert Techniques 2 October 10th 03 09:26 PM