Compact crank arm length

Old October 11th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
cycledogg

Default Compact crank arm length

Hello,
I am considering switching to a compact crank. I am now using a 172.5
crank arm length. If I go to the compact crank would a longer arm (175)
be the thing to do or just keep the same length that I am used to?
Cheers
Rick in Tennessee

Old October 11th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David L. Johnson

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 09:10:53 -0700, cycledogg wrote:

Hello,
I am considering switching to a compact crank. I am now using a 172.5
crank arm length. If I go to the compact crank would a longer arm (175)
be the thing to do or just keep the same length that I am used to?

No reason to get a different crank arm length unless you want to, and
certainly I don't see a reason for a longer arm length, since you have the
option of somewhat lower gears with the compact crank.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You
_`\(,_ | soon find out the pig likes it!
(_)/ (_) |
Old October 11th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
sally

"cycledogg" wrote in news:1160583053.351840.109890
@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
I am considering switching to a compact crank. I am now using a 172.5
crank arm length. If I go to the compact crank would a longer arm (175)
be the thing to do or just keep the same length that I am used to?

If anything, I would think about getting shorter crankarms since a compact
crank has smaller gears and you can spin more. Of course, your leg length
(which you did not mention) should be the primary factor in chosing crank arm
length.
Old October 11th 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Thompson

On 2006-10-11, sally wrote:

If anything, I would think about getting shorter crankarms since a compact
crank has smaller gears and you can spin more. Of course, your leg length
(which you did not mention) should be the primary factor in chosing crank arm
length.

And ground clearance, particularly if you are considering a fixed-gear.

--

John )
Old October 11th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Elliott

On 10/11/2006 9:10 AM cycledogg wrote:

Hello,
I am considering switching to a compact crank. I am now using a 172.5
crank arm length. If I go to the compact crank would a longer arm (175)
be the thing to do or just keep the same length that I am used to?
Cheers
Rick in Tennessee

I'm fairly short and can be pretty cranky. I'll check with my tailor for
arm length.

-- mike elliott

Old October 12th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
ups.com...

cycledogg wrote:
Hello,
I am considering switching to a compact crank. I am now using a

172.5
crank arm length. If I go to the compact crank would a longer arm

(175)
be the thing to do or just keep the same length that I am used to?
Cheers
Rick in Tennessee

Same length..

cycledogg,

Consider this, changing to shoes with thicker or thinner soles or cleats
can introduce more of a change than 2.5mm (.100 - less than 1/8") crank
length difference.

In my experience, 160mm or 180mm can make a noticeable change over
170mm - 10mm (0.394mm or more than 3/8").

I used to ride 180mm cranks on my climbing and mountain bikes. It seemed
like 180mm gave me a little more leverage when climbing.

I'm now riding bikes with 170mm, 172.5mm and 175mm cranks because that's
what on them. I can't tell any difference.

Chas.