Alpine classic - who's in?

Old December 9th 07, 08:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle
monsterman[_61_]

Default Alpine classic - who's in?

Are any of the aus.bicycle crowd doing the Alpine Audax in January?

I'm coming down from Brisbane for it, and it would be great to put some
usernames to faces

I'm starting to slightly sh t myself about the general lack of
training going on in my life, but there still some time and fear is a
great motivator!

--
monsterman

Old December 9th 07, 10:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle
MikeyOz[_262_]

monsterman Wrote:
Are any of the aus.bicycle crowd doing the Alpine Audax in January?

I'm coming down from Brisbane for it, and it would be great to put some
usernames to faces

I'm starting to slightly sh t myself about the general lack of
training going on in my life, but there still some time and fear is a
great motivator!

I am signed up for the 6.40 start, sure there are quite a few on here
doing the ride, have you booked accomodation ?

I assume coming from Brisbane you are pretty organised about it, I will
probably be staying out of town, like last year.

Only my 2nd Alpine Classic, but it is just an awesome event, the
biggest problem for you will be deciding how much time to spend at the
rest points and how much you gorge on the awesome food they put on

--
MikeyOz

Old December 9th 07, 10:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Nick Payne

Riding down from Brisbane would be good trainingg...

My wife and I are riding it. Number 14 or so for her and number 17 or 18 for
me. It doesn't get any easier with the passing years...

"monsterman" wrote in
message ...

Old December 9th 07, 09:51 PM posted to aus.bicycle
monsterman[_62_]

MikeyOz Wrote:
I am signed up for the 6.40 start, sure there are quite a few on here
doing the ride, have you booked accomodation ?

I assume coming from Brisbane you are pretty organised about it, I will
probably be staying out of town, like last year.

Only my 2nd Alpine Classic, but it is just an awesome event, the
biggest problem for you will be deciding how much time to spend at the
rest points and how much you gorge on the awesome food they put on

Yep, flights, car hire, accom etc all booked up. I think I've betrayed
a lack of confidence by booking for the 6.20am start.

This is my first alpine classic, so it will be a case of dialling in an
all day pace and just making sure we (a mate is coming down with me)
finish it and enjoy the ride. Climbing training is the issue up here
with nothing much at all to replicate very long steady climbs. The
brisbane foothills (and even the mountains in the gold coast hinterland)
are nothing at all like Alps in profile - something we confirmed when
cycling the French alps in June ... .... ouchies !!

Hopefully the weather is hot (we love that up this way) but not so hot
that they can the 200km ride - that would be dissappointing.

--
monsterman

Old December 9th 07, 09:55 PM posted to aus.bicycle
monsterman[_63_]

Nick Payne Wrote:
Riding down from Brisbane would be good trainingg...

My wife and I are riding it. Number 14 or so for her and number 17 or
18 for
me. It doesn't get any easier with the passing years...

Gees, I hope you pair get some kind of loyalty discount .. .. .. ...

--
monsterman

Old December 9th 07, 11:41 PM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-12-09, monsterman (aka Bruce)

Nick Payne Wrote:
Riding down from Brisbane would be good trainingg...

My wife and I are riding it. Number 14 or so for her and number 17 or
18 for
me. It doesn't get any easier with the passing years...

Gees, I hope you pair get some kind of loyalty discount .. .. .. ...

Nah, they get a free ticket to ride further

--
TimC
Save the whales. Feed the hungry. Free the software. --TimC
Old December 10th 07, 10:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Nick Payne

100% this year...

"monsterman" wrote in
message ...

Old December 10th 07, 11:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Nick Payne

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 08:55:30 +1100, monsterman wrote:

Gees, I hope you pair get some kind of loyalty discount .. .. .. ...

We do...
Old December 10th 07, 01:17 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Dec 10, 6:51 am, monsterman monsterman.31c...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
MikeyOz Wrote: I am signed up for the 6.40 start, sure there are quite a few on here
[...]

Hey MM, Hughie and I are talking about coming down from Brissie. We
will probably drive. I bought a CT crankset the other day. I challenge
you for the Lantern Rouge!

Donga
Old December 10th 07, 06:08 PM posted to aus.bicycle
MikeyOz[_263_]

monsterman Wrote:
Yep, flights, car hire, accom etc all booked up. I think I've betrayed
a lack of confidence by booking for the 6.20am start.

This is my first alpine classic, so it will be a case of dialling in an
all day pace and just making sure we (a mate is coming down with me)
finish it and enjoy the ride. Climbing training is the issue up here
with nothing much at all to replicate very long steady climbs. The
brisbane foothills (and even the mountains in the gold coast hinterland)
are nothing at all like Alps in profile - something we confirmed when
cycling the French alps in June ... .... ouchies !!

Hopefully the weather is hot (we love that up this way) but not so hot
that they can the 200km ride - that would be dissappointing.

I think you will find you will be ok, I had never done an audax ride
until this one last year, the organization is fantastic and the food
stops! amazzzzing, it is a great day/event.

The Mt Nebo climb would be good practice, especially for Mt Buffalo,
Cootha is good enough for the other climbs, by getting the 6.20 I think
just means you booked early enough, I left it too late again, it fills
up so quick!

But at least I got accomodation in Porepunkah this time instead of
Myrtleford.

--
MikeyOz