STOP THE FEAR MONGERING

Old March 5th 09, 09:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

Default STOP THE FEAR MONGERING

In article
,
"Paul G." wrote:

On Mar 5, 12:06*pm, SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:
On Mar 5, 11:13*am, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Don't let the economists near the plumbing, though,

Don't let them near anything. *They aren't even safe when placed in
university playpens.

We need bigger zoos where people can observe the strange creatures.

My Econ teacher at SRJC was one of the best teachers I ever had. He
and my auto shop teacher taught me things that made me rich.
-Paul

Fine, whatever, we'll let your auto shop teacher run the Fed.

Old March 5th 09, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Bill C" wrote in message

For one I'm proud of the fact that JT can hate the capitalist system
here, hate Bush, and say it as loud as he wants to.
That's one of those principles that we need to protect.

Having the right to do so is a fine thing. Having the poor taste to not just
believe it but scream it out is pretty stupid.

I can only assume that JT has had some sort of really bad setback. I hope he
recovers from it and becomes the old JT.

Old March 5th 09, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Scott" wrote in message

Paul, How is it that YOU came to be such an enlightened thinker?
How'd you avoid the hardwiring you describe? Lastly, how is it
that you haven't published your thoughts and why the hell aren't the
major universities of the world including you in their curriculum?

Come on Scott. You know that missed him by a country mile. Paul only sees
what Paul wants to see.

Old March 5th 09, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 07:05:48 -0800 (PST), Bill C
wrote:

It's still up in the air. I expect it to happen in a big way, and
already has started in Congress with people being moved out of
leadership positions, polarization and partisanship that's as bad as
Bush's, etc... His appointments for the most part are hard core, long
time, insider partisans, none of it leads to him living up to
bipartisanship in the long run.

That's not all the "revenge" you talked about -- you were talking
about gun control, speech control and other policy changes. I thought
the revenge was about government policies that affect Americans
directly.

Has that started yet?

JT

PS -- the change in the people in government is not as much as Bush.
He has more people from the other party in his cabinet than Bush, he
has had less US attorney general change than Bush. And most
importantly, for career (as opposed to political) positions, there is
no evidence of political litmus tests such as there were in the
Justice Department under Bush.

But I don't think the rightwing media you follow emphasize that much,
do they?
Old March 5th 09, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 07:08:20 -0800 (PST), Bill C
wrote:

Bull**** if you are telling people this is a ****ty place then how can
you expect them to work for it or make hard choices to better it, or
even give a **** about it?
If you have don't like and appreciate it then you have no reason to
work for it.
The picture is becoming clearer by the day.

Yeah: you care about appearances and I care about actions.
Old March 5th 09, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 11:07:09 -0800 (PST), Bill C
wrote:

How many people do you know that work for the good of something they
don't care about, or despise in principle?

I do all the time, at least for stuff I don't care *a lot* about, or
think is super important.
Old March 5th 09, 10:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 12:33:32 -0800 (PST), "Paul G."
wrote:

I have relatives who live in Norway. They are proud to be Norwegian,
love their country, etc. They like to come and visit, but they're
always glad to get home without being shot. They kind of look down on
us. Their houses are better built, they have very little crime,
especially violent crime. They look at us and think "Americans are a
bunch of violent fat slobs." If you'd been born and raised there,
you'd feel the same way. That's my point.

Love it or leave it, my boy! Love it or leave it!
Old March 5th 09, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

wrote:
It's still up in the air. I expect it to happen in a big way, and
already has started in Congress with people being moved out of
leadership positions, polarization and partisanship that's as bad as
Bush's, etc... His appointments for the most part are hard core, long
time, insider partisans, none of it leads to him living up to
bipartisanship in the long run.

That's not all the "revenge" you talked about -- you were talking
about gun control, speech control and other policy changes. *I thought
the revenge was about government policies that affect Americans

I could give you the links to statements from Congresscritters, and
bills that have been introduced to enact a bunch of that stuff. Right
now Obama wants no part of those fights and slapped down his AG the
other day for saying he was going to re-implement and greatly expand
upon the Clinton "assault weapons" ban, there's legislation been
introduced in Congress to extend that to include pump shotguns, which
have been used since they were invented in many States for deer
hunting, and bird hunting.
So if those are what you were asking about it sure as hell started,
and Obama doesn't want those fights right now so they are going
nowhere for now.

directly.

Has that started yet?

JT

PS -- the change in the people in government is not as much as Bush.
He has more people from the other party in his cabinet than Bush, he
has had less US attorney general change than Bush. And most
importantly, for career (as opposed to political) positions, there is
no evidence of political litmus tests such as there were in the
Justice Department under Bush.

But I don't think the rightwing media you follow emphasize that much,
do they?

What isn't right wing media in your world, Pravda?
Bill C
Old March 5th 09, 11:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

wrote:

I have relatives who live in Norway. They are proud to be Norwegian,
love their country, etc. They like to come and visit, but they're
always glad to get home without being shot. They kind of look down on
us. Their houses are better built, they have very little crime,
especially violent crime. They look at us and think "Americans are a
bunch of violent fat slobs." * If you'd been born and raised there,
you'd feel the same way. *That's my point.

Love it or leave it, my boy! Love it or leave it!

That's not what I said at all, again RIF! Damn for someone so...I'm
happy as hell to have the diversity of viewpoints and people we have
here, it's you, and Paul who are intolerant. Diversity in your world,
in particular, means looks different thinks the same, must be
marginalized and "mocked" if they don't, or otherwise abused and
silenced.
I've lived all over the US and have had wide experience to most of
Europe and really enjoyed all of it. That's another great thing about
the US is the physical size and diverse cultures that are all part of
our national culture. Too bad you and Paul find that offensive.
Every place and culture has good and bad points, in one way Paul is
perfectly correct, if I'd been born into some of those other cultures
I'd value different facets differently. I love Germany but it's way
too regimented, structured, and controlled for me to rate it as being
that close. Lots of German's and other Euro's have real issues witrh
the freedom and lack of government control and regulations we have
here, and those folks aren't any more wrong than I am, just different
and that's a great thing too.
Western Euro, and American values and life are kissing cousins for
the most part which is no surprise given the huge cultural interchange
and short time period since we were a Euro colony.
I'd rate Canada as closest to the US in values though the strenuously
object to that.
Bill C
Old March 5th 09, 11:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

On Mar 5, 3:39*pm, "Paul G." wrote:
On Mar 5, 11:56*am, Bill C wrote:

*America isn't a piece of ground, it's a concept, ideals, and people,
if you don't believe in those that's one of the great things about
America is that our principles not only allow that, but defend that.

Bill C

Interesting. We simultaneously typed almost the same words. Actually,
I guess I'm a Californian. *If the USA was like the southern ********s
I was stationed in, I would have emigrated.
-Paul

Like I said tolerance isn't your gig. I've lived in Miami, Orlando,
Biloxi, Augusta, and San Antonio for varying lengths of time. San
Antonio is the one I don't know pretty well, but I really enjoyed all
of them, probably because I'm not handicapped by the delusion I'm a
superior breed of human.
Lots of American's over in Europe who think that way too, that's
where the term "ugly American" came from and why lots of folks in
military towns there hate Americans.
Bill C