300k+ a year

Old January 1st 10, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ronaldo_jeremiah

Default 300k+ a year

On Dec 31 2009, 8:10*pm, "GoneBeforeMyTime" wrote:
"Kurgan. presented by Gringioni." wrote in ...
On Dec 31, 1:10 pm, "GoneBeforeMyTime" wrote:

Bull****, you don't know what the **** you are talking about.

Brought to you by Projection(TM), the official defense mechanism of
r.b.r.

-rj
Old January 1st 10, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ronaldo_jeremiah

On Dec 31 2009, 10:56*pm, "Kurgan. presented by Gringioni."
wrote:
On Dec 31, 6:57*pm, "GoneBeforeMyTime" wrote:

"Tom Kunich" wrote in message

om...

"GoneBeforeMyTime" wrote in message
news

"Kurgan. presented by Gringioni." wrote in
message
On Dec 31, 1:10 pm, "GoneBeforeMyTime" wrote:

Bull****, you don't know what the **** you are talking about.

That's sort of like saying - "Sheets are white".

He's not current on what women make today, and I don't post salaries and the
names of people earning those salaries, never have unless it was already
public information. I stated general numbers across the board from over the
years, which are based on factual information from reliable sources.
Whatever he knew then is old news, and I doubt he has any contacts in Europe
for what the UCI women are actually making there either. However, upwards of
300k a year is probably the most any women has made in cycling here.

snip

Dumbass -

There might be a vew women that can make good money. Those are the
ones that get a lot of publicity.

The rest of them barely scrape by.

I wish I was wrong about this.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Dumbass -

Add to this the claim that MG 'allegedly' made that for a year, and in
a sport that few of us would actually consider to be bike racing.

I'd bet that there isn't a single female cyclist in the world who made
six figures US in 2009. Like you said, I'd like to be wrong, but I
doubt I am.

-rj
Old January 1st 10, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,

"Tom Kunich" wrote in message

[...]

Hard to say for sure, but Missy Giove was not only active in women's DH
during the only year or two when the sport mattered (the peak of MTB
racing popularity), she was also the best in the world, working with
top-tier non-cycling sponsors (Reebok), and she had a highly marketable
image.

Let's put it this way: the three active-in-the-90s pro women I've heard
of are Giove, Alison Dunlap, and Alison Sydor. And I've met Sydor. Sort
of: she fondled my shark hat while passing me in a cyclocross race. Or
was that Wendy Simms? Whatever.

Here's a 1996 article that has probably already been posted into this
thread:

http://www.seattlepi.com/getaways/09...ike26_top.html

It suggests "high six figures" for Giove's peak year of earnings.

Old January 1st 10, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Fredburger[_8_]

ronaldo_jeremiah wrote:
On Dec 31 2009, 8:10 pm, "GoneBeforeMyTime" wrote:
"Kurgan. presented by Gringioni." wrote in ...
On Dec 31, 1:10 pm, "GoneBeforeMyTime" wrote:

Bull****, you don't know what the **** you are talking about.

Brought to you by Projection(TM), the official defense mechanism of
r.b.r.

Obfuscation(TM) lost the bidding war?
Old January 1st 10, 06:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
WTF

On 1/1/10 8:26 AM, in article
,

"Tom Kunich" wrote in message

[...]

How many sponsor ads did you se MG in during that period?

Old January 1st 10, 06:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
GoneBeforeMyTime[_2_]

"Ryan Cousineau" wrote in message
]...
In article
,

--
Ryan Cousineau

So where did all that cash go?

Old January 1st 10, 07:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
GoneBeforeMyTime[_2_]

"Kurgan. presented by Gringioni." wrote in message

There might be a vew women that can make good money. Those are the
ones that get a lot of publicity.

I know several that make really good money from road racing, and they get
zero press or publicity. But what is good money? Anything under 75k is
average middle class hard working stiff yearly wages. Over 100k, not bad,
that's pretty decent for women's cycling. It's true that most aren't making
anywhere near that amount, but the opposite is also true. There are girls
who seem to be getting a fair amount of press, but they still aren't making
jack, at least not yet that I know of.
..
The rest of them barely scrape by.

I wish I was wrong about this.

Scraping by? What the hell is scraping by? Most domestic women work full or
part time jobs and a number of them make good money cause most are college
or university educated with degrees in all sorts of fields. Add to that,
many come from families who have money, like Marin, Palo Alto, and even
Santa Barbara. You don't see any girls bike racing who come from the slums,
cause they never would of been able to afford a bike in the first place.
They would hardly be scraping by, at least not the ones on main domestic
teams. For them, the smaller salaries are extra income to their regular
jobs, and remember the teams usually pay for everything, travel, hotels,
meals, bikes, etc. The ones scraping by are the ones at the bottom who have
to pay out of pocket to travel and race, providing their own bikes, cars,
hotels, meals, almost everything out of pocket, and perhaps some of them
might be working at Starbucks. Now for those, you could say they are
scraping by, but then again there are many men racing in this same position
as you say, scraping by.

Old January 1st 10, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
GoneBeforeMyTime[_2_]

"GoneBeforeMyTime" wrote in message

Oh! It went to Medical bills!

"She's broken 33 bones and numerous teeth in her short career, including
four compound fractures of her pelvis, a broken hip and a smashed
collarbone."

Old January 1st 10, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Brad Anders

On Dec 31 2009, 6:01*pm, "Kurgan. presented by Gringioni."
wrote:
On Dec 31, 1:10*pm, "GoneBeforeMyTime" wrote:

That's pretty good money for women's bike racing.http://community.active.com/blogs/Br.../12/27/drugs-a...

Dumbass -

That was mountain biking and she was a media star.

I do not have anything against women making a lot of money in cycling.
However, some of the numbers that you've posted in the past simply are
not close to reality.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

I think this was cited previously:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/16/sp...16cycling.html

Quote from Bob Stapleton:

"He estimated that the salaries for members of the women’s team ranged
from “a jersey and a bike” to about $100,000 a year. Men’s salaries
are from $45,000 to more than $2.5 million."

Brooke Miller:

"She said the salary she draws from cycling was so low it was
basically, “You eat what you kill.”"

Interview with Pat McQuaid:

http://www.womenscycling.net/2006/In...PatMcQuaid.htm

"There are riders in professional teams who are not paid, they are
simply given kit and loaned a bike, in other teams, the situation is a
little better and in others, riders are paid a salary which they can
live on. None of the riders though, earn anything like the salaries
earned by those in a similar position in the men’s peleton."

"The best we can strive and hope for in both the men’s and the women’s
sport, is that there is, at least a small salary or at minimum, good
contracts and conditions of employment."

There are many more references out there. As you say, Giove's salary
was so high because of her wide range of sponsorships, the popularity
of her event, and her personality and performances. For your typical
working rider on a small women's pro team, the situation is radically
different. Even among decent riders pay levels are typically quite low
and vary widely across teams.

Brad Anders

Magilla, Why does Armstrong get a pass every year? Why does thepeloton get a pass this year? Lanterne Rouge Racing 5 July 27th 09 03:30 PM
One Year Jeff Grippe Recumbent Biking 1 November 3rd 06 02:32 AM
Mildenhall 300k Simon Proven UK 10 August 29th 06 12:18 PM
10 YEAR OLD TRUCK, 2 YEAR OLD BICYCLE TomCAt General 33 September 7th 05 05:02 AM
Let's get ToB on Sky next year ! The Nottingham Duck UK 2 September 3rd 05 09:38 AM