Helmets worn

Old April 27th 07, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ziggy

Default Helmets worn

I went out a little later than usual this morning and hit the school influx. I
gave up counting the children after about a dozen but there were five cycle
mounted posties.

Number of helmets being worn *None*.

A pleasant start to the day.

Old April 27th 07, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
iarocu

On 27 Apr, 01:38, (Ziggy) wrote:

Number of helmets being worn *None*.

A pleasant start to the day.

After a recent thread on helmets. I counted cyclists around home
(north side of Glasgow). About 18 out of 20 were helmeted. I think
that is getting fairly typical here, certainly at least 3/4 of
cyclists I see are helmeted. Then I was up in Inverness for 3 days
this week. What a contrast. I would say 1/4 or less helmeted. Many
cyclists using normal clothing and the bike as the natural means of
transport for a town like Inverness.
Anybody else seeing big variations in helmet wearing rates in
different areas?

Iain

Old April 27th 07, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Ziggy wrote:

I went out a little later than usual this morning and hit the school influx. I
gave up counting the children after about a dozen but there were five cycle
mounted posties.

Number of helmets being worn *None*.

Posties in danger of heavy handed discipline cases under the conduct
code for not wearing uniform, unfortunately five.

Instead of training and safe methods of working Royal Mail throw
plastic hats and hi-vis vests at the problem.
Old April 27th 07, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Rudin

Phil Cook writes:

Ziggy wrote:

I went out a little later than usual this morning and hit the school influx. I
gave up counting the children after about a dozen but there were five cycle
mounted posties.

Number of helmets being worn *None*.

Posties in danger of heavy handed discipline cases under the conduct
code for not wearing uniform, unfortunately five.

Posties illegally riding on the pavement: 100% :/

Old April 27th 07, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
chris French

In message .com,
iarocu writes
On 27 Apr, 01:38, (Ziggy) wrote:

Number of helmets being worn *None*.

A pleasant start to the day.

After a recent thread on helmets. I counted cyclists around home
(north side of Glasgow). About 18 out of 20 were helmeted. I think
that is getting fairly typical here, certainly at least 3/4 of
cyclists I see are helmeted. Then I was up in Inverness for 3 days
this week. What a contrast. I would say 1/4 or less helmeted. Many
cyclists using normal clothing and the bike as the natural means of
transport for a town like Inverness.

Anybody else seeing big variations in helmet wearing rates in
different areas?

Not noticed the proportion, but I live in Cambridgeshire, there quite a
lot of 'utility' cyclists about in the local towns, and I'd say helmet
usage is on the lower side.

There is lots of pavement cycling though. I think it's been encouraged
because lots of places have pavement cycle lanes, and cycling on the
rest of the pavements seems to ignored/expected.
--
Chris French

Old April 28th 07, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
FabianG

I have noticed that specialy experienced riders wear helmets.
Unfortunately young riders are ashamed of helmets (why cos they don't
look cool than ?). I really don't understand those people.

If you look objectivly they are thinking something like: It is better
to get killed in accident than wear helmet.
BTW here is just a small poll we made at cyclingboard:
http://www.cyclingboard.com/ftopic23.html
6:6 currently :S

Old April 28th 07, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_2_]

FabianG wrote on 28/04/2007 10:43 +0100:
I have noticed that specialy experienced riders wear helmets.
Unfortunately young riders are ashamed of helmets (why cos they don't
look cool than ?). I really don't understand those people.

Perhaps they are just better informed than you are.
http://www.cyclehelmets.org

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell
Old April 28th 07, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Danny Colyer

iarocu wrote:
Anybody else seeing big variations in helmet wearing rates in
different areas?

I seem to be seeing more helmets recently, but I keep forgetting to count.

One thing I've noticed on recent rides is that helmets seem to be more
common on a flat cyclepath than on hilly roads.

--
Danny Colyer URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/
"Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down.
Old April 28th 07, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On 28 Apr 2007 02:43:02 -0700 someone who may be FabianG
wrote this:-

I have noticed that specialy experienced riders wear helmets.

I haven't. Indeed it is those who have looked into the subject in
detail who tend not to wear the things.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old April 28th 07, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
_[_2_]

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 11:22:30 +0100, Danny Colyer wrote:

iarocu wrote:
Anybody else seeing big variations in helmet wearing rates in
different areas?

I seem to be seeing more helmets recently, but I keep forgetting to count.

One thing I've noticed on recent rides is that helmets seem to be more
common on a flat cyclepath than on hilly roads.

This may be very worrying.

"Flat cyclepath" to me implies a large percentage of recreational riders -
i.e. mumsie and daddie out for a saturday pootle with the kiddies. These
are, bless them, the voters of today and tomorrow; if they have already
been convinced that MFH's will save their lives, the law will not be far
behind.

Worn Cassette cyclingguy Techniques 33 September 15th 06 01:51 PM
He should have worn a helmet David Hansen UK 9 September 29th 05 03:44 PM
How can you tell when a chainring is worn? Charles Smith Techniques 40 January 12th 05 07:56 PM
Helmets helmets helmets and weird heads Tamyka Bell Australia 3 November 30th 04 12:25 PM
More Drivel on "Look" Cleats - How Worn is Too Worn? Suzy Jackson Australia 5 August 22nd 03 07:42 AM