Flat tire repair.

Old July 25th 04, 12:29 PM
Arne

Default Flat tire repair.

I do not ride a ton of miles, but I do go out fairly often for short spins
(5-20 miles). I have a currie uspd drive on one of my recumbents (GRR). One
of my lurking fears is getting a flat tire, especially on the rear of the
GRR fold rush.

I stopped in and got some new tube patches from a local bike repair shop. My
old kit had glue, patches, tire irons (really 'plastics'), etc..... I'm
still not comfortable with the idea of fixing a tire on the road. On my old
up-right, I could stand the bicycle upside down, so it wasn't too big a
deal, but even that was long ago. Having the tire in my face did make it
easier to spot the problem, though.

Now, with a windshield, etc., I can see myself lying on the grass with the
bent on its side while I try to figure out what the problem is. And the
patches now come with no abrasive or glue. Are the new ones that good that
you can just stick them on the tube?

I carry a pump, patches, irons and that's about it..... and i guess the
drill will be to lay the bent on a lawn and find the hole, then attempt to
repair it without removing the tire.... is this the way I should approach
it?
..
Arne, USA
..
..

Old July 25th 04, 03:26 PM
Tom Sherman

Arne wrote:

[...]

The easy solution [1] is to get an EGSE two-legged kickstand. This
normally holds the TE/GRR upright with the rear wheel a few inches off
the ground. If the flat is on the front, the bike is easily rocked back
onto the rear wheel, and then the front can be carefully set down on the
fork ends on the front wheel is removed.

There has been much discussion of "glueless" patches on
rec.bicycles.tech, with the general consensus that they are only a
temporary fix compared to glue patches, and work best on lower pressure
tires.

[1] Pun intended.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Old July 25th 04, 04:07 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 09:26:16 -0500, Tom Sherman
wrote in message
:

The easy solution [1] is to get an EGSE two-legged kickstand.

Always assuming they can still be had - Pletscher apparently went
tits-up recently. Buy now before it's too late!

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old July 26th 04, 12:30 PM
Mike Schwab

When did you get yours? I ordered some in Febuary and have been unable
to get any useful information on my shipment since.

Lewis Campbell wrote:

When I used to use pneumatic tires (I use Airfree Tires mostly now) I
carried a 20 foot piece of nylon rope, so that, if I got a flat, I
could hoist the wheel up in the air by roping it to a tree branch,
street sign, etc.

Try it, you'll like it.

Lewis.

*********************

"Arne" wrote in message news:vQMMc.40224$Sh.11816@lakeread06...
[...]

.
Arne, USA
.
.

Old July 26th 04, 07:48 PM
Jay Adair

I took a quick 15 mile spin yesterday, hit an uneven patch of concrete, in a
turn, at about 25 mph and flatted both tires in about 1/10th of a second,
wiping out hard and dragging my behind over some rough concrete before
stopping.

After wiping the blood off my hands and legs, I pulled out my spare tubes
and spent 30 minutes repairing the flats. Thankfully, the tires were still
OK (just some small surface cuts) so I was back on my way RIDING instead of
PUSHING my bike all the way back home (pushed before, took too long).

To fix the flats I just leaned the bike against a wall and removed the
wheels one at a time, not too difficult. But I've decided to start carrying
a set of folding tires, too, just in case. I really think I need a 'bent
with mountain bike wheels & tires on it.

For me, I'd rather slap a new tube inside the tire than to pull out the tube
and try and find the leak and patch it and hope the patch holds, etc.

Jay
Vision V45

Old July 28th 04, 03:53 AM
Tom Sherman

David Bogie wrote:

The dualie stand on my TE is more torward the rear. It pops the front
wheel of the ground about 2 inches. it makes rear wheel changes
difficult and one cannot grip ER's carbon fender for stability. The
edges of the fender are knife sharp and will cut depply.

Now that you mention it, I have seen several Easy Racers with EGSE two
legged kickstands, and all the Tour Easys sit with the front wheel up
and all the GRR/TiGRR's sit with the rear wheel up. Coincidence?

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Old July 28th 04, 03:56 AM
Tom Sherman

Lewis Campbell wrote:

When I used to use pneumatic tires (I use Airfree Tires mostly now) I
carried a 20 foot piece of nylon rope, so that, if I got a flat, I
could hoist the wheel up in the air by roping it to a tree branch,
street sign, etc....

Look, there's an eccentric Englishman [1] lynching a bicycle!

[1] Expatriate.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Old July 31st 04, 03:45 AM
Tom Sherman

Torben Scheel wrote:

My tubes usually have more than 10 patches when discarded - no reason to
trash them before the valve leaks or the butyl is finished. (Beers comes in
glass bottles around here :-( )

The State of Denmark may have broken glass, but at least you can get a
decent beer from a vending machine as compensation [1].

[1] Or at least this was true in the past.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Old July 31st 04, 06:11 PM
Edd Brady

Torben Scheel wrote:

My tubes usually have more than 10 patches when discarded - no reason to
trash them before the valve leaks or the butyl is finished. (Beers comes in
glass bottles around here :-( )

The State of Denmark may have broken glass, but at least you can get a
decent beer from a vending machine as compensation [1].

[1] Or at least this was true in the past.

I don't know how well it will work, but Honeywell has announced a
plastic that improves preservation of freshness and "is intended to
replace glass bottles in the next few years." I'll believe it when I
see it, but it sure would be nice.

Edd
Old August 3rd 04, 11:39 AM
Torben Scheel

Tom Sherman wrote:

The State of Denmark may have broken glass, but at least you can get a
decent beer from a vending machine as compensation [1].

[1] Or at least this was true in the past.

Still very much true, it's even getting better - there's a lot of small
breweries (again) now, forcing The Big One to produce a decent variety.
Mmmmm - Refsvindinge Ale #16 - mmmm.

--
Regards,
Torben

When to change the tire Jose Capco Techniques 10 July 1st 04 08:15 PM
DIY Tire Removal 2 g.daniels Techniques 4 May 21st 04 05:25 PM
DIY Tire Remval 2 g.daniels Techniques 1 May 17th 04 10:26 PM
Flat Tire Repair Question from MB Newbie Sorni Mountain Biking 43 August 29th 03 01:14 PM
flat tire question The Causey Way Techniques 2 July 19th 03 05:41 PM