Why do I ride so lousy after touring?

Old July 26th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Why do I ride so lousy after touring?

Most years I go on tour for about a week, 60 - 100 miles/day, some
supported, others not. I do fine during the tour -- I'm usually in the
first half of the group, despite stopping often for pictures. Thing
is, for 1 to 2 months following the tour, I feel lethargic and
sluggish on most rides. I keep hearing how a tour -- or stage race --
is supposed to make you so much stronger, "jump start" your fitness,
etc., but I have yet to experience anything like that!! Is there some
kind of trick I don't know about? (I know its not from a calorie
deficiency: I bring my own sports drink, along with the food I buy on
the trip; I use my own recovery drink at the end of each ride; I make
sure I pig out at the dinner buffets; and I normally gain a few pounds
during the tour.) I make sure I include a "recovery week" following
the tour. Any ideas on the cause? Any solutions?
FYI, I'm 38 years old, ride 150 - 200 miles/week in season -- a mix of
intervals, endurance pace, and recovery rides -- or about 5,000 - 7,000
miles/year, and have been doing this kind of mileage for about 15 years.

Old July 26th 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Booker C. Bense

Old July 26th 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
gds

Booker C. Bense wrote:

I agree that it is just taking you some time to recover. It looks like
your mileage for the tour week (I'm assuming a week) is roughly 300% of
your normal weekly mileage. That is bound to have an impact.