Anti theft measures for cycles stored in garages, sheds etc?

Old April 6th 04, 11:02 PM
mt_biker

Default Anti theft measures for cycles stored in garages, sheds etc?

Dc wrote:
Recently, there were some thefts of all a family's cycles from their
garage which got me thinking about overnight security as quality
bicycles are not exactly cheap these days.
Would anyone like to tell me about their security arrangements of their
cycles when garaged overnight to prevent theft? Would an alarm be the
best or some arrangement to anchor cycles to concrete walls or floors
etc via locks.
Not the most the pleasant of subjects but it better than your pride and
joy going missing to be never seen again
Thanks for your comments
DC.

Two words: Homeowners Insurance

-

Old April 6th 04, 11:11 PM
David Reuteler

mt_biker wrote:
Two words: Homeowners Insurance.

one question: how many bikes 'til they drop ya?
--
david reuteler

Old April 7th 04, 04:49 AM
Werehatrack

On 06 Apr 2004 22:11:24 GMT, David Reuteler may
have said:

mt_biker wrote:
Two words: Homeowners Insurance.

one question: how many bikes 'til they drop ya?

Better question: How many deductibles and rate increases can someone
swallow before they do something to keep the bikes from getting
swiped?

Old April 9th 04, 02:24 AM
Rick Onanian

have said:
mt_biker wrote:
Two words: Homeowners Insurance.

one question: how many bikes 'til they drop ya?

Better question: How many deductibles and rate increases can someone
swallow before they do something to keep the bikes from getting
swiped?

Better question yet: Why would somebody continue to live in such a
terrible place that this is a recurring issue?
--
Rick Onanian
Old April 9th 04, 04:10 AM
Jim Flom

DC wrote ...

Would anyone like to tell me about their security arrangements of
their cycles when garaged overnight to prevent theft?

I would bring it in the house/apt with me.

JF

Old April 9th 04, 05:22 AM
Werehatrack

have said:
mt_biker wrote:
Two words: Homeowners Insurance.
one question: how many bikes 'til they drop ya?

Better question: How many deductibles and rate increases can someone
swallow before they do something to keep the bikes from getting
swiped?

Better question yet: Why would somebody continue to live in such a
terrible place that this is a recurring issue?

Unless I knew what the situation was, I couldn't say, and given the
fultility of doing so, I wouldn't speculate...but I have seen
analogous dilemmas up close and personal more than once.

Old September 13th 04, 07:53 AM
occupant

DC wrote:

Recently, there were some thefts of all a family's cycles from their
garage which got me thinking about overnight security as quality
bicycles are not exactly cheap these days.

Would anyone like to tell me about their security arrangements of
their cycles when garaged overnight to prevent theft? Would an alarm
be the best or some arrangement to anchor cycles to concrete walls or
floors etc via locks.

Not the most the pleasant of subjects but it better than your pride
and joy going missing to be never seen again

Thanks for your comments

DC.

A guy I know living in a high crime area, right downtown in the drug
infested area, was the only one in the house that didn't have his bike
stolen. His was locked to the radiator.

While you can't make a house or garage break-in proof, you can decrease
your odds by boarded windows (garage) or having no windows (garage),
heavy duty doors with at least two locks in a very, very sturdy door
frame. Good outside lighting.

In our drug crazy city criminals just drive their vehicle into the
garage door and forcing it off its mounting and gain entry that way.

A millionaire I knew when I was a kid lived amongst the thieves. I
remember asking him about a fear of being broken into and he said make
sure the outside is essentially unattractive. When I tell people I am
worried about being broken into, people tell me all the time who would
want to break into your place? So I think it does help. There is
nothing pretty or attractive about my yard or place but it is well lit.

I have had blue tarps stolen and some bricks, both by different
neighbours - I couldn't prove it (but we know our possessions by their
peculiar markings) and the loss was small. So it doesn't matter how
good your neighbourhood is. I also saw a neighbour creep into my yard
30 years ago when I was building my garage and steal scrap wood ends
under the cover of darkness.

I have a secure garage and shed but I would never leave my bike there.
It is my vehicle, inexpensive Norco, but I need it in the morning as it
is my transportation.

Other have commented on insurance. And I agree, hopefully you never
have to make a claim, especially these days when any excuse seems to be
the norm for annual insurance increases.

Alarm systems guarantee the thief at least 15 minutes to take whatever
they can see without interruption unless, of course, they have walked
around the house and cut the phone line that carries your alarm signal.

A garage should never be less secure than the house. The house should
never be less secure than Fort Knox.
Old September 13th 04, 08:59 AM
PK

DC wrote:

Recently, there were some thefts of all a family's cycles from
their garage which got me thinking about overnight security as
quality bicycles are not exactly cheap these days.

Would anyone like to tell me about their security arrangements
of their cycles when garaged overnight to prevent theft? 7

A heavy duty ground anchor [
http://www.accessinsurance.co.uk/hardiesecure.htm ] and heavy duty
motorcycle chain!

pk

Old September 13th 04, 03:28 PM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 06:53:01 +0000, occupant wrote:

DC wrote:

Recently, there were some thefts of all a family's cycles from their
garage which got me thinking about overnight security as quality
bicycles are not exactly cheap these days.

Would anyone like to tell me about their security arrangements of their
cycles when garaged overnight to prevent theft? Would an alarm be the
best or some arrangement to anchor cycles to concrete walls or floors
etc via locks.

Don't bother with anything to secure the bikes inside the garage. Once a
thief gets inside, he has a nice cozy place to work on your security
device unobserved. Make it harder for him to get inside, instead.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
_`\(,_ | certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to
(_)/ (_) | reality. -- Albert Einstein

Old September 13th 04, 04:13 PM
lungdoc

I had a (very modest) mountain bike stolen out of my backyard she
several years ago. Since then I had an alarm system that includes th
shed installed, installed better shed doors and since my pool wa
installed the heater has a nice strong steel gas line that I Ulock th
bike onto. I don't leave my good bike in the front garage since I to
often have it open. YMMV

--
lungdoc