trikes?

Old April 19th 11, 05:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

Default trikes?

Hi all,
Am in the market for a trike, for balance reasons. All I see are recumbents,
but don't know what the (dis)advantages are of tadpoles and deltas are. Or,
for that matter, if there are brands that are well regarded.
Thanks,
Kerry

Old April 19th 11, 10:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Harry Brogan[_7_]

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 21:37:41 -0700, "Kerry Montgomery"
wrote:

Hi all,
Am in the market for a trike, for balance reasons. All I see are recumbents,
but don't know what the (dis)advantages are of tadpoles and deltas are. Or,
for that matter, if there are brands that are well regarded.
Thanks,
Kerry

I had a Sun Tadpole for quite a while. The Tadpole type DOES take
some getting used to. Steers completely different than anything you
are used to. But, after you have been on it for a while....IT'S A
FRIGGIN' BLAST!!!!

The sun is probably the heaviest trike out there. Greenspeed makes
some fantastic rides as well.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...riplephoto.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...-04-09-003.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...2262007-07.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...2262007-02.jpg
Old April 19th 11, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Apr 19, 5:37*am, "Kerry Montgomery" wrote:
Hi all,
Am in the market for a trike, for balance reasons. All I see are recumbents,
but don't know what the (dis)advantages are of tadpoles and deltas are. Or,
for that matter, if there are brands that are well regarded.
Thanks,
Kerry

I went into this trikes thoroughly a few years ago. I dismissed 1F2R
wheel designs at the outset as basically unstable, good only for
shopping at very moderate pace, which I don't think is what you have
in mind.

IIRC correctly, I settled on the Anthrotech as the best buy, being
well-made, easy to get into and out of, safe and reasonable fast:
http://anthrotech.de/Pages-e/index-e.html

Stateside there was this, which may or may not be more of a novelty
than a bike, but which I eventually dismissed as too low to be
practical either for sitting/rising or visibility on the road.
http://www.pedalcoupe.com/

Among the low speedsters, not useful on my roads:

I looked at a well-reputed, well-priced folding, very low recumbent
tricycle from HP Velotech, but can't find the file now; they're in a
big way of business, so you can find them on the net

This one I liked for its technical interest -- my own specialty in
automobiles is suspension, so my fascination with such a beautiful set
of A-frames follows naturally:
http://www.tripendo.com/EDEFAULT.htm

And this is what I would have bought if I were in the market for such
a low device:
http://www.tripod-bikes.com/
The Tripod is in about the same price group as my Utopia Kranich,
which for a tricycle with many more components, competently made by a
Dutch firm, is not outrageous. Note though that essentials like
mudguards and lights are extra. Probably, fully fitted up right out to
the panniers, ready to tour, a Rohloff version mght leave a bit of
change out of six grand American, standing on your driveway.

As an only or everyday bike, the Anthrotech seemed the most practical.

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/Andre%20Jute's%20Utopia%20Kranich.pdf

Old April 20th 11, 02:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 4/19/2011 12:35 AM, A. Muzi wrote:
[...]
Be advised that tricycles at speed are likely dangerous. They take some
real skill to get around a corner fast.

The above only applies to trikes with a high combined rider/trike center
of gravity, such as upright trikes, many delta recumbent trikes, and a
few recumbent tadpole trikes.

However, on a tadpole recumbent trike with a low seat, one can achieve
automotive levels of lateral acceleration, simply by leaning one's upper
body into a corner.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old April 20th 11, 02:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 4/18/2011 11:37 PM, Kerry Montgomery wrote:
Hi all,
Am in the market for a trike, for balance reasons. All I see are recumbents,
but don't know what the (dis)advantages are of tadpoles and deltas are.

Tadpoles are better for long rides and fast cornering. Deltas are
better for shorter trips around town. (As a general rule)

Velomobiles are heavy and expensive, but very fast under the right
conditions and offer good to excellent weather protection.

Or,
for that matter, if there are brands that are well regarded.

ICE (Inspired Cycle Engineering), Greenspeed, Trisled, AVD
(Windcheetah), Big Cat HPV (Catrike), HP Velotechnik, Optima, Wizwheelz,
Organic Engines come to mind off the top of my head as brands I would
feel confident in buying.

Sun also makes trikes at a lower price range, and as a division of J&B,
they can be ordered by any LBS that has a J&B account.

Tell us where you are at (general vicinity) and we may be able to
suggest a dealer near you.

Also your price range and expected use would be helpful. Unfortunately,
due to greater complexity and economies of scale, a $2,000 trike will
have a frame quality and component level of a $800 road bike.

Old April 20th 11, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Tºm Shermªn™ °_° wrote:
On 4/19/2011 12:35 AM, A. Muzi wrote:
[...]
Be advised that tricycles at speed are likely dangerous. They take some
real skill to get around a corner fast.

The above only applies to trikes with a high combined rider/trike center
of gravity, such as upright trikes, many delta recumbent trikes, and a
few recumbent tadpole trikes.

However, on a tadpole recumbent trike with a low seat, one can achieve
automotive levels of lateral acceleration, simply by leaning one's upper
body into a corner.

I understood OP desired 'not a recumbent'.
In recumbents, I defer to your superior knowledge.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old April 20th 11, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 4/19/2011 9:01 PM, A. Muzi wrote:
Tºm Shermªn™ °_° wrote:
On 4/19/2011 12:35 AM, A. Muzi wrote:
[...]
Be advised that tricycles at speed are likely dangerous. They take some
real skill to get around a corner fast.

The above only applies to trikes with a high combined rider/trike
center of gravity, such as upright trikes, many delta recumbent
trikes, and a few recumbent tadpole trikes.

However, on a tadpole recumbent trike with a low seat, one can achieve
automotive levels of lateral acceleration, simply by leaning one's
upper body into a corner.

I understood OP desired 'not a recumbent'.

My reading was the OP did not know very much about recumbent trikes, and
was inquiring for more information.

In recumbents, I defer to your superior knowledge.

Well, I do have the physical assets of a former recumbent trike
manufacturer taking up space in my garage. Not to mention a new trike
frame in my living room.

Old April 20th 11, 05:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

"Tºm ShermªnT °_°" " wrote in
message ...
[...]

Thanks for the many thoughts. As Tºm surmised, I am recumbent ignorant, but
know that I don't want a Worksman, or equivalent, trike. I don't think my
cornering skill level ever was good enough for an upright racing trike -
have seen videos of them going around turns at high rates of speed with the
rider WAY over on the inside.
A tadpole may be the right kind of thing for me - did a little shopping at
Coventry Cycles today (very nice folks here in Portland, OR). One of my
problems is with changing from a sitting to a standing position, so a
relatively high seat may be valuable. The AnthroTech that Andre mentioned
might be good in that regard, haven't yet done much research into
availability, weight, cost, etc.
Desired price range would be about $2,000, but may have to re-evaluate that
upward based on what I've seen so far.
In an ideal world, it would fit in the back of a Subaru Impreza wagon that
has the back seats folded down. Otherwise, am looking for some sort of rack
(other than a roof rack).
Use will mostly be exercise on bike trails and paths. It'd be good if it had
low enough gears to get me up at least railroad grades on rails-to-trails,
and some sort of tire compromise that would let me try some gravel road in
the woods stuff.
Thanks again,
Kerry

Old April 20th 11, 06:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 4/19/2011 11:45 PM, Kerry Montgomery wrote:
"T�m Sherm�nT " wrote in
message ...
[...]

T�m Sherm�n - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Hi all,
Thanks for the many thoughts. As T�m surmised, I am recumbent ignorant, but
know that I don't want a Worksman, or equivalent, trike. I don't think my
cornering skill level ever was good enough for an upright racing trike -
have seen videos of them going around turns at high rates of speed with the
rider WAY over on the inside.

If you can drive a go-cart, you can ride a tadpole trike at speed.

A tadpole may be the right kind of thing for me - did a little shopping at
Coventry Cycles today (very nice folks here in Portland, OR). One of my
problems is with changing from a sitting to a standing position, so a
relatively high seat may be valuable. The AnthroTech that Andre mentioned
might be good in that regard, haven't yet done much research into
availability, weight, cost, etc.

Yes, low tadpoles are not the easiest to sit down on and get up from.

Have not been there, but Coventry has a good reputation.

Desired price range would be about $2,000, but may have to re-evaluate that
upward based on what I've seen so far.

Yes, all to easy to spend $4, $5 or $6K.

In an ideal world, it would fit in the back of a Subaru Impreza wagon that
has the back seats folded down. Otherwise, am looking for some sort of rack
(other than a roof rack).

The Greenspeed folding trikes should fit. Otherwise, something like a
Draftsmaster should work: http://www.atoc.com/draftmastertrike.php.

Use will mostly be exercise on bike trails and paths. It'd be good if it had
low enough gears to get me up at least railroad grades on rails-to-trails,

You *should* have lower gears on a trike that you have used on an
upright. If your lowest gear on an upright was 30 gear-inches, I would
consider a low gear of 15-18 gear inches on a trike, or even lower if
you will be doing loaded touring. Since balance is not an issue, you
will never need to get off and walk as long as your gears are low
enough. Sacrifice top end gears, if you do not want to go to the
expense of a Rohloff hub or Schlumpf BB.

You may also want to consider cranks that are 20 to 30-mm shorter than
what you have used on an upright. Short cranks and low gears will help
you get up hills, until your muscles accommodate to the different riding
position.

and some sort of tire compromise that would let me try some gravel road in
the woods stuff.

I have Maxxis Hookworms on my trike, which work well both on pavement
and moderate gravel and non-muddy trails. A robust tire on the rear is
good, since you will find that you will straddle potholes with the front
wheels, and then hit them with the back.

If you can afford it, rear suspension makes for a very nice and relaxing
ride. Combine it with heavy duty tires (e.g. Hookworms or other BMX
tires), and you can pay much less attention to the road than you would
on a bicycle, and much more to what is around you (the riding position
also helps here).

If I were ever to do any touring, a trike would be my first choice for
the above (and other) reasons.

Old April 20th 11, 12:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Apr 20, 5:45*am, "Kerry Montgomery" wrote:
One of my
problems is with changing from a sitting to a standing position, so a
relatively high seat may be valuable. The AnthroTech that Andre mentioned
might be good in that regard, haven't yet done much research into
availability, weight, cost, etc.

By European quality standards, the Anthrotech is not expensive. Won't
fit a two grand budget though.

Here's one with a higher seat, American made, but sold out; perhaps
you can find one pre-loved:

http://www.cyclegenius.com/trx.html

No idea about the quality.

Desired price range would be about $2,000, but may have to re-evaluate that
upward based on what I've seen so far.
In an ideal world, it would fit in the back of a Subaru Impreza wagon that
has the back seats folded down. Otherwise, am looking for some sort of rack
(other than a roof rack).

I didn't look particularly at folders but noted the best of them in
passing. Too low though.

http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/produkt...s/index_e.html

Pricelist.

http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/shoppin...rpionfs_e.html

Use will mostly be exercise on bike trails and paths. It'd be good if it had
low enough gears to get me up at least railroad grades on rails-to-trails,

See the price list for the Rohloff upgrade. I have a Rohloff box on my
everyday bike and won't get up my home hill without it -- but I'm the
only one pedaling up the hill, albeit slowly, while people a lot
younger than me push their bikes.

and some sort of tire compromise that would let me try some gravel road in
the woods stuff.

I'd actually go with the 29 buck upgrade to Big Apples. I have Big
Apples on my bike and have never even considered removing them and
putting the Marathon Plus back on. Nevernevernevernevernever! The Big
Apples are a big part of my bike's suspension package though, so on a
trike with suspension you might not feel too much pain if at the rear,
as Tom suggests, you have a tyre with bite.

I still think the Dutch Tripod in my earlier post might be a better
deal if you decide to or must go that low because you have no other
choices. Check the measurements. Those things fit in the back of a
Volvo estate, so they might fit in the back of a Subaru. I went into
it thoroughly at the time, and reports were that it is superb in all
respects and it worked out cheaper by over a grand in Euro, say 1400
or 1500 dollars, than the pricey HP when similarly specced.

Andre Jute
Visit Andre's recipes:
http://coolmainpress.com/andrejutefoodindex.html

Trikes Mike Fox Recumbent Biking 4 June 28th 07 01:17 AM
Are trikes OT here? Rich Grise Recumbent Biking 5 July 31st 06 12:28 PM
KMX Trikes? Trailgalore Recumbent Biking 1 April 2nd 05 07:59 PM
Two new trikes Sticker Jim Recumbent Biking 3 June 5th 04 11:40 AM
Legal Requirements for Braking systems on Trikes/Recumbent Trikes Russ UK 4 March 9th 04 10:01 AM