Helmet-Cam

Old October 16th 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Helmet-Cam

Hi All,

I was thinking about getting one of these for goofing around, but
after a jerk driver tried to teach me a lesson today out on my ride I
thought such a thing would be nice to have to document each ride:

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/sho...id=107&pid=709

Joseph

Old October 16th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 16, 7:34 pm, (Melinda Shore) wrote:
In article .com,

wrote:
I was thinking about getting one of these for goofing around, but
after a jerk driver tried to teach me a lesson today out on my ride I
thought such a thing would be nice to have to document each ride:

I have one. The video quality is poor and the audio is
worse, but it's kind of fun. I've used it on an ATV and on
a sleddog training rig that's built out of mountain bike
parts. It wasn't *terrible* with the ATV but the video from
the training rig, running over rough ground, was so bad that
it gave me a headache while watching it, plus because it was
mounted on the bars the sound when I braked (disk brakes)
was carried through the frame and picked up by the camera,
and wow, is that loud and obnoxious.

On the other hand, it's cheap and easy to use, and kind of
fun. I'll be curious to see how it deals with snow (lots
and lots and lots of *white*), given its color problems.

BTW, you can get them new for under $90 US on eBay.

eBay is my friend! I see some Tony Hawk/Digital Blue cameras for $32.
I wonder how much worse those are?

And just how bad is the video quality? Feel like sending/posting a
sample?

Joseph

Old October 16th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Joseph.Santaniello writes:

I was thinking about getting one of these for goofing around, but
after a jerk driver tried to teach me a lesson today out on my ride
I thought such a thing would be nice to have to document each ride:

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/ass.../AT18_3_lg.jpg

Looks small enough, but once you put it on, it'll be years before you
meet up with another road jerk. However, if you get a picture, let us
know.

Jobst Brandt
Old October 16th 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
futrino[_2_]

wrote:
Hi All,

I was thinking about getting one of these for goofing around, but
after a jerk driver tried to teach me a lesson today out on my ride I
thought such a thing would be nice to have to document each ride:

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/sho...id=107&pid=709

Joseph

lots of reviews on amazon,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...197513-8603034

I was just looking today, but I want it for documenting my rides on
wooded trails, doesn't sound like it is good for that, but a cheap and
fun toy. looks like it doesn't hold battery in cool weather. one guy
said sound can be improved by removing waterproof seal at mic.

Old October 16th 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Melinda Shore

In article .com,
wrote:
And just how bad is the video quality? Feel like sending/posting a
sample?

I'm leaving town shortly and don't have time to upload the
one that'll make you vomit and then leave you with a migraine,
but here's some pretty low-key handheld video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndWZhyiNoAc
and here's one that was taken with the helmetcam mounted on
an ATV front rack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LViecnHBiSc

There's some Youtubey video artifacts but the color
oversaturation and high contrast are totally the work of the
camera.

Old October 16th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Greg Evans

Melinda Shore wrote:

In article
.com,

wrote:
[...]

I /just/ got one of these myself, but haven't had a chance to check
it out yet. Supposedly, the audio quality can be improved if you're
willing to sacrifice waterproofness (details he
http://utahtrikes.com/ARTICLE-31.html).

I also found this page (in Danish, I think) that has some pretty
cool video samples. http://fixie-king.dk/video/video_test.htm

There are lots of online retailers selling them for under $90 US,
including amazon.com.

From what I've seen the video quality is about what you'd expect
for that price.

Greg

"I don't know, I don't care,
and it doesn't make any difference."

(Jack Kerouac)
My Photos-
http://www.gsevans.com/photography/

My Blog-
http://www.gsevans.com/blog/

Old October 16th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 16, 9:21 pm, wrote:

Looks small enough, but once you put it on, it'll be years before you
meet up with another road jerk.

That's exactly what I thought as the jerk rolled away! Putting
Murphy's Law to work for me is half the point ;-)

Joseph

Old October 16th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 16, 9:35 pm, (Melinda Shore) wrote:
In article .com,

wrote:
And just how bad is the video quality? Feel like sending/posting a
sample?

I'm leaving town shortly and don't have time to upload the
one that'll make you vomit and then leave you with a migraine,
but here's some pretty low-key handheld video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndWZhyiNoAc
and here's one that was taken with the helmetcam mounted on
an ATV front rack:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LViecnHBiSc

There's some Youtubey video artifacts but the color
oversaturation and high contrast are totally the work of the
camera.

A jerky picture from a solid mount on the ATV isn't too surprising,
but the pixelated motion really messes things up. Looking at the cute
dogs it looks fine, but when you move the camera, the deck planks turn
to mosaic. Is that YouTube?

Joseph