Direct drive bicycle

Old July 25th 05, 07:39 PM
cyberpunk

Default Direct drive bicycle

I was just recently thinking of diffrent ways to help teach people to
unicycle, and I came up with the direct drive bicycle, and was just
wondering if anyone had tried this, and if it worked well?

--
cyberpunk - Become one with the Debian

The following is the fault of a random google search and catboy.

"Baby Laughs : The Naked Truth About the First Year of Mommyhood"

cyberpunk's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8923

Old July 25th 05, 07:51 PM
rob.northcott

A "super trick cycle" is a direct drive bicycle (pedals attached to rear
axle). Not sure if it would be useful for learning unicycling though...
the few times I've had a go on one I've found it pretty weird to ride,
more like a freaky bike than a unicycle.

--
rob.northcott - Need to practise uphill mounts

Old July 25th 05, 07:59 PM
Mikefule

The first bicycles (excluding the hobby horse and the MacMillan treadle
driven bicycle) were direct driven - usually but not always via the
front wheel.

The need for speed led to the development of ever larger driven wheels,
and as the rider had to sit above the pedals, for the most efficient
position, the trailing wheel became smaller and smaller - hence the name
"penny farthing" , properly called the "ordinary bicycle".

(In the USA, there was something similar, with the "penny" at the back,
and the "farthing" at the front, steered with handlebars.)

I have ridden penny farthings. At speed, the tiny back wheel almost
hovers. It is only really useful at low speeds, or when riding up
hill.

This is why the more sporting type of late Victorian gentlemen developed
unicycles - using the front wheel of a penny farthing, and keeping the
pedals, forks and handlebars - but no back wheel or seat.

Photographs of such machines were recently posted in this forum on a
thread about Victorian unicycles.

So, in a way, your idea is a good one, because it is the story of the
development of the unicycle from two wheeled machine, to a unicycle with
(almost literally) a "training wheel", to a unicycle with handlebars,
and ultimately to the unicycle as we know it, with a seat and no
handlebars.

On a more modern note, you will find unicycles with handlebars and no
seats for sale on ebay from time to time, sold as novelty items. Also,
at unicycle.com, I think you will find a "circus bicycle" which is
almost like two unicycles, connected by a cross bar. One has handlebars
and no pedals, the other has a seat and pedals. They are a novelty
item, and quite fun to play on.

Also, there is some dreadful thing called something like a "skate cycle"
which is a unicycle with one or more skateboard trucks on outriggers.

As it only takes a keen rider a few days to learn to unicycle, and those
who aren't keen will almost certainly never learn, maybe we should stick
to what we have: the 20 or 24 with about a 50% crank:wheel radius ratio,
a wall, and determination.

--
Mikefule - The first cuckoo of unicycling

Sumer is icomen in, loud sing Mikefule!

Old July 26th 05, 08:28 AM
DK

The only modern direct drive bikes are track bikes (for velodrome
racing, and a fair amount of messangers use them). I've ridden a
friends, and its kinda natural after unicycling. the on;y downside to
your idea is that clipless pedals (ones that your foot clips in-- don't
ask) is a must, and they can be expensive and they take time to learn to
use.

--
DK - a bit of the ol' ultraviolence

*Knife in hand, love in heart*

I never took such pleasure in a death
A hatred born of freedom’s dying breath

\"I don't like to use the word 'US interests.' Thats why I wish some
critics, friends of ours would stop saying we go into this country, we
go into that country, we do this and we do that. I say 'shhhh shhhh.' We
dont do anything, they do it to us. We are part the victims, we are not
part of the victimizers.\"
DK's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8054

Old July 26th 05, 10:21 AM
onewheeldave

DK wrote:
*The only modern direct drive bikes are track bikes (for velodrome
racing, and a fair amount of messangers use them). I've ridden a
friends, and its kinda natural after unicycling. the on;y downside to
your idea is that clipless pedals (ones that your foot clips in--
don't ask) is a must, and they can be expensive and they take time to
learn to use. *

Why are clipless pedals a must? I know those who traditionally use
direct drive, single geared bikes tend to use them in high-performance
scenarios (track racing or courier work), but there's no reason the same
machines couldn't be used with normal pedals for less extreme riding.

--
onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the ******* work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32
onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

Old July 26th 05, 05:35 PM
Mikefule

Terminology alert!

Direct drive is like a conventional unicycle, or penny farthing, where
the cranks are attached directly to ends of the hub spindle/axle.

Track race bikes are "fixed wheel" which is where there is no freewheel
mechanism, and the rider has to pedal all the time, but can use back
pressure to slow down.

"Direct gearing" might be used to describe a machine where the gear
ratio is 1:1 - i.e. front and back cogs are the smae size.

So, a unicycle, penny farthing or circus bike 9as sold by unicycle.com
is direct drive.

A giraffe unicycle or a track bike is usually fixed wheel.

Some giraffe unicycles and some rare bicycles are "direct geared".

Old July 26th 05, 05:48 PM
DK

onewheeldave wrote:
*Why are clipless pedals a must? I know those who traditionally use
direct drive, single geared bikes tend to use them in high-performance
scenarios (track racing or courier work), but there's no reason the
same machines couldn't be used with normal pedals for less extreme
riding. *

I guess you wouldn't need them if you were just riding in a flat place,
but to go down any hill or have some speed, its just for safety.

Old July 26th 05, 07:21 PM
yoopers

We have a direct drive bicycle hanging in the garage. It was built
simply by welding the rear sprocket to the hub. We built it after
watching Guy Hanson ride one in the Seattle Torchlight parade at UNICON
in 2002.

Problem is we kept the original drive ring and sprocket so the ratio is
way off and it's nearly impossible to ride. The drive ring and rear
sprocket probably need to be both larger and the same size as each other
for better control. We just haven't gone back to play with adjustments,
so it collects dust.

--
yoopers - Bruce & Mary Edwards

`_______
/L ,[____],
L---L –0LLLLLLL0-
()_) ()_)----)_)

Munipsycho on the art of raising children: "My job is not to keep them
from falling. It's to teach them to always get back up."

Always give lots of credit and take very little. Seems to make everyone
happier. Conversely, take as much responsibility for mistakes as one can
assume! - Dr. Bobo

unicycledude93: Steve Dekeokeok
unicycledude93: Yoopers
Byrnetown: haha, those are old guys

yoopers's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/31

Top Gear Driving Song David Martin UK 38 June 1st 05 05:05 PM
Children should wear bicycle helmets. John Doe UK 516 December 16th 04 01:04 AM
published helmet research - not troll Frank Krygowski Social Issues 1716 October 24th 04 06:39 AM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM