Adjustable rubber rack straps, where to buy?

Old September 14th 18, 07:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default Adjustable rubber rack straps, where to buy?

On 14/09/18 14:27, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/13/2018 9:06 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, September 13, 2018 at 4:21:10 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:

I am not using it for heavy loads, just for sensitive ones. For heavy
loads I have cinch straps and heavy duty bungees.

You should put your delicate cargo in a pannier.

Grant Peterson recently publicized an interesting trick. In his example,
the delicate cargo was an expensive camera of some kind.

He was using a bike with a metal front basket. He used two cargo nets.
One he stretched across the top of the basket to form a sort of
trampoline. The camera sat on top of that net, suspended above the baset
floor. The other net went above the camera to hold it down and keep it
from bouncing out.

Sounds good for shaking something up by amplfying every bump.

It seemed to me that would work pretty well, assuming you had a basket
on your bike.

I always preferred to carry my camera in a snout bag mounted on my chest
supported by a pair of straps going over shoulders and crossing on the
back. My legs tend to be very good at smoothing out bumps.

Second preference was the handlebar bags that mount on a forward
projection holder. A couple of short shock cords to the front rack
damped bounces.

(It wouldn't work for Joerg, of course.)

If you need more capacity, buy a trailer.* I'm sure your wife would
allow you to buy a bicycle trailer, maybe.

Maybe...

Alternatively, you can build one. Yet Another B&*&$% Bicycle Trailer
seems to be a common meme on youtube.

Old September 14th 18, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/14/2018 2:15 AM, news18 wrote:
On 14/09/18 14:27, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/13/2018 9:06 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, September 13, 2018 at 4:21:10 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:

I am not using it for heavy loads, just for sensitive ones. For heavy
loads I have cinch straps and heavy duty bungees.

You should put your delicate cargo in a pannier.

Grant Peterson recently publicized an interesting trick. In his
example, the delicate cargo was an expensive camera of some kind.

He was using a bike with a metal front basket. He used two cargo nets.
One he stretched across the top of the basket to form a sort of
trampoline. The camera sat on top of that net, suspended above the
baset floor. The other net went above the camera to hold it down and
keep it from bouncing out.

Sounds good for shaking something up by amplfying every bump.

You're trying to minimize acceleration, not amplitude. With Grant's
scheme, the camera will move more (greater amplitude) but will endure
far less acceleration.

I always preferred to carry my camera in a snout bag mounted on my chest
supported by a pair of straps going over shoulders and crossing on the
back. My legs tend to be very good at smoothing out bumps.

In the days of mechanical cameras, I did something similar. I had the
straps worked out to where I could easily unclip one and shoot as I rode.

Now that my camera's tiny and digital, it's usually in the mesh side
pocket of my handlebar bag. I think it's much more rugged than my old
film camera. This one has almost no mechanical moving parts.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 14th 18, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On Thursday, September 13, 2018 at 10:30:13 AM UTC-4, Joerg
On 2018-09-12 17:21, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 16:19:00 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Does anyone know where to buy ESGE bicycle rack straps
like this in the US without costing more than the whole
rack?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/uIcAA...Bv/s-l1600.jpg

They are rubber which the blistering sun has now shot. In
Europe these used to cost $4-5. Adjustment is without any
excess rubber dangling into spokes and stuff.

Or maybe something similar that has such seamlessly
adjustable rubber straps. Bungees or Arno straps are not so
cool for sensitive loads.

Adjustable Flat Bungee Cord? See Amazon, about $3.50 each.
https://www.amazon.com/Keeper-06119-.../dp/B0044FPNIG

Bingo! I didn't know they made adjustable bungees which is exactly the
function I was looking for. It's on our Amazon shopping list
now. Thanks, John.

Frank and Sir: This does work for me. Reason why Arno strap
won't work well for this particular job is that I often carry
softer materials and sometimes even a large fruit or vegetable.
A bursting plastic malt syrup jug would be real fun on a bike.
Arno straps or cinch-down straps can be adjusted but their
pressure comes on hard so I'd have to carry buffer material.
For the rack I need something with flex that can be adjusted in
tension, no extra buffer material needed.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Meantime your rubber bungee cord expands on bumps and thus you
risk it coming off if the hook lets go. Then you might lose your
load.

I am not using it for heavy loads, just for sensitive ones. For
heavy loads I have cinch straps and heavy duty bungees.

You should put your delicate cargo in a pannier.

Those are nearly always full. The right one with tools, lock, phone,
spare tube, battery and stuff. The left one with water, electrolyte mix,
food.

... If you need more
capacity, buy a trailer. I'm sure your wife would allow you to buy a
bicycle trailer, maybe.

The only trailer that would work for me is the Bob trailer with
suspension. Yeah, I could buy one. However, flexible straps cost a lot less.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Toe Straps [email protected] Techniques 17 April 6th 09 08:39 PM
fs: Toe-Straps Mike Marketplace 0 July 28th 06 06:24 PM
Yakima roof rack: No rear tire rubber road adapter? Dave Smith Techniques 17 April 25th 05 01:45 AM
Bike rack straps and spoilers Tim Lapin General 2 August 25th 03 02:33 AM
Bike rack straps and spoilers Tim Lapin Techniques 2 August 25th 03 02:33 AM