THE CASE FOR A MANDATORY CYCLE HELMET LAW
(IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA)

Old September 15th 18, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default THE CASE FOR A MANDATORY CYCLE HELMET LAW ?(IN THE UNITED STATESOF AMERICA)

On 9/14/2018 8:40 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Saturday, September 15, 2018 at 12:23:59 AM UTC+1, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 09:24:11 -0700 (PDT), sltom992 wrote:

In New York City the daily trips depend heavily upon weather but have a high of around 62,000 trips PER DAY.

In New York city there are over 5 million people ride the transit
network each weekday. So, 62,000 / 5 million = 1.2%
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transp...City#Ridership

I'm not arguing that this isn't appallingly low, especially after two generations (since Rachel Carson, the patron of genocides) of the uninformed political or simply lying Left using underhand methods ("all scientists agree that there is global warming and that man is responsible" -- Christ on a stick!) to make anyone in a car feel like a Gaia-rapist.

However, in terms of levels of bicycle use only a decade or two ago, those are impressive strides that commuter and shopping cycling have made, in some places at least, and actually rather quickly.

I'm always amazed at how laughably soon the most unsmilingly earnest campaigners expect people to change their minds and even their behavior. Any psychologist who deals with mass markets knows that most people vote for the party their parents voted for but only just possibly not for the party that earned their grandparents' adherence -- and that is after admitting that there is now a larger unaffiliated group (the "undecideds" on political polls) who in fact determine the destiny of everyone, which is why so much effort is directed at them.

Andre Jute
I'm impressed, Tom, even if the "spokesmen for bicycles" aren't

It's not all that depressing. Hope for positive change
springs eternal- read some Elbert Guillory.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 16th 18, 01:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, September 15, 2018 at 3:35:38 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the introduction, Andrew.

AJ
Old September 17th 18, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, September 14, 2018 at 9:51:33 AM UTC-7, Emanuel Berg wrote:
sltom992 wrote:

The costs of owning, insuring and operating
a car today is so high that anyone that can
avoid those costs is doing so in order to
have a better apartment.

OK, but still, aren't there more cars today
than ever? In the affluent parts of the world,
as well as everywhere else?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

Emanual - this is only true because of the financing offered by car companies. Now you can RENT a new car for three years at lower than loan payment amounts. Also I asked a new car salesman how I was seeing so many young Hispanics in new cars. He just said, "No down payment and six months before the first payment is due."

So for how long there will be increasing numbers of cars on the road remains to be seen.
Old September 17th 18, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, September 14, 2018 at 4:23:59 PM UTC-7, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 09:24:11 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 3:43:48 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 11/09/18 14:29, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 14:11:48 +1000, James
wrote:

On 11/09/18 10:34, Andre Jute wrote:

About separate facilities for cyclists: where are the votes in it?
Even less likely is votes for making automobiling less convenient in
favour of cyclists; it's a non-starter.

There are more votes in it now than there have been since ... forever,
and growing. The votes come from the inner city dwelling
environmentalists we call "Greenies", who shun the stinky tailpipe of
automobiles in favour of cleaner and healthier active transport.

Sure they have dreadlocks, eat mung beans and fart like there's no
tomorrow, but they also vote.

Councillor Sri is a Greens party man.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...cc955fd0f65f5c

Your reference shows up as an offer to furnish me news for 50 cents a
day, no mention of Greenies.

I think this is the same article but from another site.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Brisbane.html

--
JS

I don't think that the people on this group really appreciate the numbers of cyclists there are in the larger

cities around the world. In India alone there is an estimated
330,000,000 bicycles owned and used daily.

In New York City the daily trips depend heavily upon weather but have a high of around 62,000 trips PER DAY.

In New York city there are over 5 million people ride the transit
network each weekday. So, 62,000 / 5 million = 1.2%
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transp...City#Ridership

This is rapidly increasing in the San Francisco bay area as more bicycle lanes are installed. They would increase even more rapidly if there were some bicycle lanes on the San Francisco/Oakland bay bridge and the San Mateo Bridge.

The costs of owning, insuring and operating a car today is so high that anyone that can avoid those costs is doing so in order to have a better apartment.

--
Cheers

John B.

Does that in some manner change the fact that driving is getting too expensive and riding the Metro for crying out loud is getting so disgusting that anyone that even thinks they are athletic is trying to find better and cheaper ways to work? I think I said it here already but I'll repeat it - when I drive to Palo Alto Medial Canter twice a year for my neurologist it takes me 2 hours and increasing with each trip. To ride my bike to almost the same location takes me an hour and a half.
Old September 17th 18, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, September 14, 2018 at 6:40:55 PM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

At present, during commute hours, ALL of the BART trains are filled to the brim. Since most of San Francisco is not within walking distance of the BART, quite a few bicycles use the BART as well. But because of the crowding although the people are exceedingly polite there is growing discomfort with bicycles taking up three or more standing spaces.

The three major bridges, The Carquinez, Oakland/San Franciso and San Mateo bridges do not allow bicycles, Though HALF of the O/SF bridge presently has a bike path to Treasure Island. And there is talk of extending it in some manner to San Francisco. This would be a big boost for bicycling since the distance is only about 10 miles and San Francisco is a relatively though vertically challenging destination. Perhaps one of these days the loony tunes companies will actually think, "Gee, maybe we ought to site our companies much nearer our workers."