Pinch flat repair?

Old March 11th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Default Pinch flat repair?

I had a TWO hole punctures at the same time today due to a nasty pinch
flat...yeah I just didn't have enough air in my tire at the time, my
bad! Anyway, upon removing the tube I noticed TWO straight cuts
about 3" apart.

The last pinch flat I had produced just a small "pin" hole but this
time each cut was approx. 3mm in lentgh. I have been using these little
"invisible" patches, which are basically peel & stick, and they have
worked very well; I have yet to have one come off or leak.

But now with these particular cuts I'm wondering if they are just too
big and if they will hold since they are larger, and not round pin
holes but longer "straight" cuts. Do you think these patches will hold
fine, or is this tube toast?

It's also a brand new DH tube with the metal stem, so I hope it will be
ok as it wasn't cheap and it was also hard to find locally in 24X3
size!

--
MuniAddict

"On Earth it would be...12 noon" (Twilight zone episode, "To serve
man.")

My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699

My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b

Old March 11th 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Chris.James

well, if they are on ther dont try to pull them off. You know what they
say, if it aint broke dont fix it

--
Chris.James

"Thats my favorite thing about unicycling, I can eat oreos while
riding!" ~Me

dforbes wrote:
Well, boys and girls, this is what separates us from the gods; Kris goes
riding and has to worry about landing on naked ladies - you and I have
to watch we don't land in dog poop.....

Chris.James's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14072

Old March 11th 07, 03:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
uni57

MuniAddict wrote:
I just didn't have enough air in my tire at the time

I'm not getting fat! I just don't have enough air in my tire!

(well, that's -my- lame-o excuse, anyway)

--
uni57

20 GOTO 10
uni57's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2085

Old March 11th 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
entropy

MuniAddict wrote:
I noticed TWO straight cuts about 3" apart.

"Snake bite." Been there many times. Best fix: replace the tube.
Tube was expensive? Then I guess that's an expensive lesson.

To prevent, use more pressure like you said. A wider rim is good
prevention too.

Last time I tried to patch a pinch flat, the repair job blew wide open
at a very inopportune time. Attempt repair at your own peril.

--
entropy

Shut up and ride.
entropy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5816

Old March 11th 07, 04:00 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

uni57 wrote:
I'm not getting fat! I just don't have enough air in my tire!

(well, that's -my- lame-o excuse, anyway)

haha I had purposely let a lot of air out earlier in my attempt to
1-foot pedal down stairs! I just didn't have my hand pump with me to
bring it back up afterwords! I'm just lucky I didn't tweak my rim;the
drop/gap was pretty high/long.

Old March 11th 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

I have always used rubber cement and either a chunk of old inner tube or
actual rubber patches and have never had a patch leak. A 3mm hole
should be no problem to patch. You should only have to replace your
tube if the stem is wreaked or you can stick you finger in the hole.

--
saskatchewanian

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who
is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
saskatchewanian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14180

Old March 11th 07, 07:02 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
onelesscar

those stick on patches are only temporary, in my opinion. whenever i
have to use one of those on the road....i come back, peel it off, and
put on a "real" glue on patch. the stick on ones have never held well
for me, but i've never had a problem with the glue on.

so yeah, i'd say get a proper patch kit, follow the instructions, and
patch it.

--
onelesscar

"my bounty is as boundless as the sea
my love as deep
the more i give to thee the more i have
for both are endless"
onelesscar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11127

Old March 11th 07, 08:14 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomtrevor

I found that duct tape works just as well as the stick on patches,
seriously. They both last just as long as each other (well at least the
patces I have anyway). I like the glue on ones, they take a bit longer
to fix the tube but they are worth it.

--
tomtrevor

01010100 01101111 01101101 00100000 01010100 01110010 01100101
01110110 01101111 01110010
'KEEPIN' IT WHEEL' (www.mediahug.com/bikes)
WHEEL WALK ON WATER

BLUEGREENORANGEBLACKPURPLEREDWHITEYELLOW
Thanks to my sponsers: my mum
'g' (http://www.google.com.au/)'o' (http://www.google.com.br/)'o'
(http://www.google.co.uk/)'g' (http://www.google.com.ni/)'l'
(http://www.google.to/)'i' (http://www.google.ch/)'n'
(http://www.google.com.mt/)'g' (http://www.google.com.na/)'s'
(http://www.google.rw/)'!'
(http://www.google.com.do/)'t'
(http://mediahug.com/bikes/?page_id=26)'o'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread)'m'
(http://www.funnyjunk.com/)''s'
(http://www.freelineskates.com/) 'R'
(http://www.tlb.org/Park-all.lowbw.mpg)'a'
(http://www.burntfaceman.com/)'n'
(http://www.adcott.net/binary/)'d'
(http://tinyurl.com/c1as)'o'
(http://www.cheese.com)'m'
(http://www.coverpop.com/whitney/index.php?var=v0)
'L'
(http://www.mediahug.com/bikes/)'i'
(http://www.virtualgravy.com/)'n'
(http://www.mediahug.com/almax/)'k'
(http://www.cheaphumor.com/)'a'
(http://www.bakedbeans.com)'g'
(http://www.joecartoon.com/)e's'
(http://www.break.com/)
tomtrevor's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12118

Old March 11th 07, 08:33 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pkittle

onelesscar wrote:
those stick on patches are only temporary, in my opinion. whenever i
have to use one of those on the road....i come back, peel it off, and
put on a "real" glue on patch. the stick on ones have never held well
for me, but i've never had a problem with the glue on.

I've used the stick-on patches for my commuter b*ke for ages, and
they've very rarely failed. But I've always just replaced snake-bitten
tubes as lost causes.

--
pkittle

Peter Kittle * Chico, CA
"The Revolution is just a t-shirt away."
--Billy Bragg
pkittle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12111