Possible to repair a flat-spot (kerb hit) on rear rim?

Old April 30th 07, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
waldspirale

Default Possible to repair a flat-spot (kerb hit) on rear rim?

Dear all. Just got my first Rohloff bike. I did not spot a full height
kerb drop-off on one of the local cycle lanes. The front was saved by
the NCX suspension but the rear took the full hit when going up the
kerb. This has caused an indent in the rim or 'flat spot'. In part
this is becuase the shop did not sufficiently tighten the spokes after
purchase, but mainly just unfortunate accident.

Is such a flat spot in an Mavic A319 rim repairable or do I need a
rebuilt wheel?

cheers
Jon

Old April 30th 07, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message . com,
waldspirale ') wrote:

Dear all. Just got my first Rohloff bike. I did not spot a full height
kerb drop-off on one of the local cycle lanes. The front was saved by
the NCX suspension but the rear took the full hit when going up the
kerb. This has caused an indent in the rim or 'flat spot'. In part
this is becuase the shop did not sufficiently tighten the spokes after
purchase, but mainly just unfortunate accident.

Is such a flat spot in an Mavic A319 rim repairable or do I need a
rebuilt wheel?

It depends...

Small flats can sometimes be cleaned up by a little gentle application of a
file or a grinding wheel. You're unlikely to correct a major one easily (I
have a particular favourite front wheel languishing in the shed because it
has a bend in one side of the rim which I can't find a way to correct.

What matters is

(1) there's sufficient strength in the rim to hold the tyre under pressure
(2) the brake track is free of bumps which will upset braking performance

'there are no solutions, only precipitates'

Old April 30th 07, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pinky

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message
in message . com,
waldspirale ') wrote:

[...]

But in the end I think it is probably better to get a new rim!
The chances are that your braking performance will suffer.
Why not take it to your LBS and see if they consider it worth trying but I
wouldn't bet on it!
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom.
www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Old April 30th 07, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Thompson

the rear took the full hit when going up the
kerb. This has caused an indent in the rim or 'flat spot'. In part
this is becuase the shop did not sufficiently tighten the spokes after
purchase

If it's a dent in the rim it's more a combo of too little pressure in the
tyres, not shifting weight off the back wheel on impact and (of course) the
kerb. There're a couple of reasons why I run my road bike's tyres at full
pressure, and this is one of them.
Old April 30th 07, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_2_]

Simon Brooke wrote on 30/04/2007 16:46 +0100:

Small flats can sometimes be cleaned up by a little gentle application of a
file or a grinding wheel. You're unlikely to correct a major one easily (I
have a particular favourite front wheel languishing in the shed because it
has a bend in one side of the rim which I can't find a way to correct.

Clamp a block of wood onto the rim wall - inside or out depending on
which way the bend goes. Take a small hammer and gently tap the rim
until it is flush along its length with the wood. Sounds hard but its
actually quite easy to do.

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Pinch flat repair? MuniAddict Unicycling 8 March 11th 07 08:33 AM
Pinch flat repair? MuniAddict Unicycling 0 March 11th 07 03:36 AM
Bead seating and flat spot problem [email protected] Techniques 10 November 30th 06 01:03 AM
Flat spot on tyres Peka Australia 24 September 22nd 05 08:23 AM
Flat tire repair. Arne Recumbent Biking 13 August 19th 04 03:39 PM