hit and run cabbie cost cyclist his leg

Old November 23rd 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default hit and run cabbie cost cyclist his leg

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_29403.aspx

Exclusive: Cyclist Makes Chilling Claim Following Alleged Taxi Hit-And-
Run That Took His Leg
Saturday November 22, 2008
CityNews.ca Staff

"I know how this sounds, but what I've been through ... I would rather
be dead than be here."

Those were Krzysztof Kasztelewicz's chilling words Saturday as he lay
in a hospital bed following surgery.

The 36-year-old was still recovering after having his leg partially
amputated following an alleged hit-and-run collision that involved a
taxi driver and unfolded in the early hours of November 14 near
Dovercourt Road and Argyle Street.

"All my energy went into just holding this here," he recalled,
gripping what remains of his limb. "And screaming on top of my lungs."

Kasztelewicz still has a long recovery ahead of him, and the sudden
life-altering event has naturally made a substantial impact on his
family.

"I never expected that," Kasztelewicz's still horrified mother
Krystyna said as she choked up at his bedside. "But when I saw ... I'm
sorry."

Upon his pending release from hospital, Kasztelewicz will enter rehab
in the hopes of regaining some mobility with a prosthetic.

And while his injuries are horrific, they're matched by the bizarre
circumstances that led to the grisly accident.

Police say an altercation broke out in those morning hours of November
14 between Kasztelewicz and a cabbie. The incident ended with the
cyclist's leg being crushed against a hydro pole and allegedly, the
driver fleeing. Beyond that police know precious little.

"A taxi driver fled the scene and a cyclist was left at the scene,"
was all Toronto Police Cst. Mig Roberts could confirm.

But thanks to help from the public, the driver was identified and
based on a week-long investigation that included conversations with
witnesses, the cabbie and the victim, several charges have been laid.

Among other offences, 38-year-old Sultan Ahmed has been charged with
criminal negligence causing bodily harm and assault with a weapon - in
this case, his car.

Ahmed was scheduled to appear in court Friday, but as he battled an
uncertain future and overwhelming pain, Kasztelewicz's cold pleas had
little to do with justice.

"I'm not saying this to upset you mom," he said to preface perhaps his
most unsettling claim. "I wish he'd done a better job."

Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-1900 or
Crime Stoppers at 416-222-TIPS (8477).

Old November 23rd 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

wrote:
snip irrelevance

post to r.b.misc, not tech.

Old November 24th 08, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

jim beam wrote:

wrote:

snip irrelevance

post to r.b.misc, not tech.

I think we need to start r.b.smack-talk for your contributions,
then.

I guess there's always r.b.racing, which is tantamount to the same
thing.

Chalo
Old November 24th 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 15:01:12 -0800, Chalo wrote:

jim beam wrote:

wrote:

snip irrelevance

post to r.b.misc, not tech.

I think we need to start r.b.smack-talk for your contributions, then.

I guess there's always r.b.racing, which is tantamount to the same
thing.

if you don't want to learn anything chalo, that's not my loss. just use a
killfile.

Old November 24th 08, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Nov 23, 1:18*pm, jim beam wrote:
wrote:

snip irrelevance

post to r.b.misc, not tech.

that was my intention, I discovered my error too late.