Bike lane design prize?

Old June 15th 11, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Bike lane design prize?

Can we give a special prize to the designer of this bike lane? (It's
a T intersection.)

http://bit.ly/lCPvBi

- Frank Krygowski
Old June 15th 11, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Frank Krygowski:
http://bit.ly/lCPvBi

Can anybody explain why the street view pix in the above link are
so much better than the street view pix in GoogleEarth for the
same place?
--
PeteCresswell
Old June 15th 11, 06:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per (PeteCresswell):
Can anybody explain why the street view pix in the above link are
so much better than the street view pix in GoogleEarth for the
same place?

I'm thinking it has something to do with GoogleEarth's
zoomability.

Here's a GoogleMap screen shot: http://tinyurl.com/3mww7o6

Here is the same view via GoogleEarth: http://tinyurl.com/3bxs7sh
different pics taken at a different time. But if I zoom out, I
get the same pics as GoogleMaps - albeit still at
somewhat-reduced clarity: http://tinyurl.com/442bdp3
--
PeteCresswell
Old June 15th 11, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_4_]

On 6/15/2011 1:45 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per (PeteCresswell):
Can anybody explain why the street view pix in the above link are
so much better than the street view pix in GoogleEarth for the
same place?

I'm thinking it has something to do with GoogleEarth's
zoomability.

Here's a GoogleMap screen shot: http://tinyurl.com/3mww7o6

Here is the same view via GoogleEarth: http://tinyurl.com/3bxs7sh
different pics taken at a different time. But if I zoom out, I
get the same pics as GoogleMaps - albeit still at
somewhat-reduced clarity: http://tinyurl.com/442bdp3

Hard to say. The pic that you linked for Google earth looks like it's
under water to me. There is a "wave" across the bottom.
Old June 15th 11, 08:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

Florida new construction from Chiles' administration on requiring
local conformity to reason, inteligence, sanity does that and I won't
ride it given the overwhelming percentage of drunks and subhumans.
Maybe a Fed design.....
Old June 16th 11, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message
Can we give a special prize to the designer of this bike lane? (It's
a T intersection.)

http://bit.ly/lCPvBi

- Frank Krygowski

There is something like that going west on sand hill road in palo alto as a
rider approaches the hwy 280 ramp. Convient for a cyclist, to set up the
ride over the overpass, it gives cars room for bikes that are present in the
lane.
Cars can go either way, to hwy 280, or continue on sand hill road.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...00857&t=h&z=20

Old June 16th 11, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

NEVER SAW those lanes used. NOT ! . So much for highway engineering.
Say where's our highway engineering expert ?
Having dinner ?
Old June 16th 11, 06:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Frank Krygowski wrote:

Can we give a special prize to the designer of this bike lane? *(It's
a T intersection.)

http://bit.ly/lCPvBi

The one I think deserves a prize is one I pass every day on the way to
work. It's a _one half block_ long bike lane on Comal Street in
Austin, starting at 4th Street and continuing a couple of hundred feet
until it ends at the alley between 4th and 5th Streets.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/comal-5th

If you zoom in enough or go to Street View, you can see the bike lane
markings.

There's street parking where the bike lane would be south and north of
this half block stretch, and at 5th and Comal there is a two-way
bottleneck to liven things up a bit. I have often wondered why anyone
bothered to place the stripes and signs for a bike lane there, but
maybe it was the easiest way to institute a no parking zone.

Chalo
Old June 16th 11, 05:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 22:05:58 -0700 (PDT), Chalo
wrote:

The one I think deserves a prize is one I pass every day on the way to
work. It's a _one half block_ long bike lane on Comal Street in
Austin, starting at 4th Street and continuing a couple of hundred feet
until it ends at the alley between 4th and 5th Streets.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/comal-5th

If you zoom in enough or go to Street View, you can see the bike lane
markings.

There's street parking where the bike lane would be south and north of
this half block stretch, and at 5th and Comal there is a two-way
bottleneck to liven things up a bit. I have often wondered why anyone
bothered to place the stripes and signs for a bike lane there, but
maybe it was the easiest way to institute a no parking zone.

If you move the mouse over the "Earth" icon in the upper right, pick
"more", select "bicycling", and unselect "45 degrees", it shows the
bike lanes in bright green, along with some others (E. 5th St). Green
and black I presume are bicycle friendly roadways. It's clearer if
you click on "map" instead of "Earth". It's definitely not a
continuous bike path, but no worse than some others I've seen.

Hmmm... fairly close to the Texas State Cemetary. Very convenient.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old June 16th 11, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Chalo wrote:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/comal-5th

If you move the mouse over the "Earth" icon in the upper right, pick
"more", select "bicycling", and unselect "45 degrees", it shows the
bike lanes in bright green, along with some others (E. 5th St). *

Interesting; I hadn't been aware of either of those enhancements to
Google Maps. I wonder why it decided to turn on "45 degrees"? Funny
that the stretch of E. 5th between Comal and Chicon gets designated as
a bike lane, when there's no bike lane there. It's a very narrow
roadway at that point, and quite rippled from shifting soil under the
roadbed. There are no lane markings there at all.

Green
and black I presume are bicycle friendly roadways. * It's clearer if
you click on "map" instead of "Earth". *It's definitely not a
continuous bike path, but no worse than some others I've seen.

The whole area is pretty bike-friendly-- thanks to narrow streets, low
speeds, lots of mixed use with housing as part of the mix, and
relatively considerate drivers in this part of town.

Hmmm... fairly close to the Texas State Cemetary. *Very convenient.

It's a well-kept cemetery and a nice way to reduce the maximum slope
going north when the gates are open. (I sometimes ride heavy Austin
Bike Zoo contraptions up that grade.) It had fallen into disrepair a
few years ago because there was no funding to maintain it. Then a
state legislator had the idea to designate the path through there as a
state highway, so they can use highway funds to keep it up. The
cemetery often has a living state trooper lurking in there now, too.

It's funny to me that there can be the political will to make the
State Cemetery officially a highway (when it isn't used for
transportation), but bicycle facilities that serve a lot of folks'
transportation needs are not eligible for that money.

Chalo