SRAM eTap Blips - Question

Old September 15th 18, 11:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ixiz

Default SRAM eTap Blips - Question

I would like to know if the Sram blips - is just a momentary push button switch or is there additional electronics in it ?

If its just a momentary SPST switch - is the connector something i can but off the shelf like digikey or alike

Thanks in advance

Old September 16th 18, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 15:30:23 -0700 (PDT), ixiz
wrote:

I would like to know if the Sram blips - is just a momentary push button switch or is there additional electronics in it ?

If its just a momentary SPST switch - is the connector something i can but off the shelf like digikey or alike

Thanks in advance

According to this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2grLsmNIcaY
it's a simple normally open momentary switch.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old September 16th 18, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

I would like to know if the Sram blips - is just a momentary push button switch or is there additional electronics in it ?

If its just a momentary SPST switch - is the connector something i can but off the shelf like digikey or alike

Thanks in advance

The connector is obscure but quite standard. It's called an:
EIAJ-01 plug
which is 2.35mm OD, 0.70mm ID.
The rubber part seems to be (not sure) 5.0mm OD and about 11.5mm long.

Likely substitutes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_power_connector
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EIAJ_connector
available as:

Philmore 48-410
https://www.google.com/search?q=Philmore+48-410

Lundberg 1636 01
https://www.google.com/search?q=Lumberg+1636+01

Kobiconn 3218-EX
https://www.google.com/search?q=Kobiconn+3218-EX

However, I'm not sure about the dimension of the rubber part of the
connector, and have no idea if any of these connectors will fit
without modification.

Old September 16th 18, 03:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

FWIW, I had to fabricate a plug for an oddball 12V DC connector for an
old piece of equipment. After cobbling together the metal contacts, I
used Sugru to mold a rubberish plug that held the contacts in the right
position. It's worked well.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 16th 18, 03:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

I would like to know if the Sram blips - is just a momentary push
button switchÂ* or is there additional electronics in it ?

If its just a momentary SPST switch - is the connector something i
can but off the shelf like digikey or alike

Thanks in advance

The connector is obscure but quite standard.Â* It's called an:
Â*Â*Â* EIAJ-01 plug

Link: https://sugru.com/

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 16th 18, 05:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 22:32:23 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

FWIW, I had to fabricate a plug for an oddball 12V DC connector for an
old piece of equipment. After cobbling together the metal contacts, I
used Sugru to mold a rubberish plug that held the contacts in the right
position. It's worked well.

Yep, that will work. I've used Sugru a few times but found it to be
rather expensive. So, I use RTV, Devcon something hard rubber molding
goo, Bondo (for a rock hard connector),
https://makezine.com/projects/make-40/fond-o-bondo/
various casting compounds, some weird stuff I picked up at a crafts
fai
https://www.smooth-on.com
urethane molding goo, acrylic resin, etc. For contacts, I use the
remains of the old power connector, or I fabricate something out of
brass strips, tubing, and shrink tube for insulation. Just about any
casting compound will work, as long as you use sufficient mold release
to keep it from sticking to the form. I made about ten crude power
connectors using slightly tapered holes drilled into a block of wood
as a form. The first 10 connectors came out of the mold easily.
However, I forgot to add more mold release on the 2nd batch and had to
chisel the connectors out of the forms. No matter how much I sand or
tape the shells, I continue to get splinters in my fingers when I
forget and just grab the shell.

Old September 16th 18, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I agree, the Sugru stuff is very expensive. When I heard about it I
thought "Oh, I'll buy some to try..." but the price seemed exorbitant.
Then I was given a pack of six or eight little sample envelopes as a
birthday gift. I've used two of them, and they worked well, but I notice
the rest are now past their expiration date.

Bondo seems like a good idea. A friend showed me that it's probably the
best wood filler available, assuming you'll be painting instead of
staining and varnishing. If you time it right, you can sand it to shape
very easily while it's partially set.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 16th 18, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Wouldn't hot glue do the job at a fraction of the price

Old September 16th 18, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 1:37:34 PM UTC-4, Tosspot wrote:
On 9/16/18 4:33 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

FWIW, I had to fabricate a plug for an oddball 12V DC connector for an
old piece of equipment. After cobbling together the metal contacts, I
used Sugru to mold a rubberish plug that held the contacts in the
right position. It's worked well.

Link: https://sugru.com/

Wouldn't hot glue do the job at a fraction of the price?

Depends on the task, I think. I remember casting some little gizmo out of hot
melt glue, a lens cap for a pair of binoculars. I had to fashion a mold, then
carefully inject the glue into the mold. My mold was open on top, and I spent
a fair amount of time trying to layer in a reasonably flat top surface. The
result was workable, but it was pretty crude looking.

The benefit of Sugru (and, if applicable, Bondo) is that you can mold it to
shape using your fingers. Instead of casting, it's more like sculpting with
clay.

- Frank Krygowski

Old September 16th 18, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 19:37:32 +0200, Tosspot
wrote:

Wouldn't hot glue do the job at a fraction of the price

Good idea. Hot melt glue melts at 120C so there's plenty of
temperature margin. I've tried to mold hot melt glue and failed
because since it's a glue, it stuck to the mold. It might need to be
reflowed with a hot air gun in order to get a smooth surface. Maybe
some outer reinforcing, like a plastic soda straw.

It also doesn't flex very well:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/hot-melt-glue/index.html
My rubber sole repair job fell apart after about one week. That makes
me suspect that bending the hot melt glue connector shell might cause
it to crack.