More Drivel on "Look" Cleats - How Worn is Too Worn?

Old August 21st 03, 10:30 PM
Suzy Jackson

Default More Drivel on "Look" Cleats - How Worn is Too Worn?

"Andrew Swan" wrote in message
I know the official Look yardstick is that the cleats need replacing
once the three (?) little holes have disappeared (long since past, in my
case), but from your experience, is this:

Little holes? You mean there are instructions that come with cleats? My
god! I usually replace them when the front wears so thin that it breaks.
At the moment I'm using red ones, on account of having no black ones in the
house when my last black ones wore through, the night before racing...

I haven't died so far, but then I'd hardly call myself a sprinter.

Regards,

Suzy.

Old August 22nd 03, 03:07 AM
Gemma Kernich

"Suzy Jackson" wrote in message

Little holes? You mean there are instructions that come with cleats? My
god! I usually replace them when the front wears so thin that it breaks.
At the moment I'm using red ones, on account of having no black ones in

the
house when my last black ones wore through, the night before racing...

I haven't died so far, but then I'd hardly call myself a sprinter.

I find that by the time I've worn down to the bottom of the three indicator
holes I've also worn the back mating surface of the cleat down too from
making full use of the 'float' (look at your shoe from the rear where the
pedal tang mates with it). The cleat is held in a lot less securely when
this is worn down and there's more chance of pulling your foot unexpectadly.
I've only crashed because of this once but it was enough for me to pay more
attention to cleat wear!!! (buy 'em in bulk from www.probikekit.com

Gemma

Old August 22nd 03, 07:42 AM
Shabby

Andrew Swan wrote:
I know the official Look yardstick is that the cleats need replacing
once the three (?) little holes have disappeared (long since past, in my
case), but from your experience, is this:
(a) sound advice, and I'm lucky to have lived this long
(b) a clever marketing strategy by Look, and you can actually keep
using your cleats until they don't click in/out properly any
more (mine still work fine apart from some squeaking)
(c) all news to you?
TIA,
&roo

B. At $30 a pop, use them until they either pull out on you, or if any
large sections break off (this means the clicking in bit is getting a
bit thin and will break off completely soon).

Regarding the squeaking, it's not the LRT's as discussed in your other
post. Rubber doesn't squeak. It's the cleats themselves.

Shoes and Cleats Roger Zoul General 43 August 9th 04 12:44 AM
Newbie question: cleats on recumbents FLM Recumbent Biking 16 May 20th 04 01:53 AM
Quickest Release Cleats? Edward Holt Mountain Biking 13 November 12th 03 12:16 PM