Yakima roof rack: No rear tire rubber road adapter?

Old April 19th 05, 12:13 AM
Dave Smith

Default Yakima roof rack: No rear tire rubber road adapter?

I just got a Yakima roof rack with Copperhead carriers. It installed
very nicely and is great for my mountain bikes, but it has no adapter
to hold down the rear tire on a road bike. I called the dealer and he
said that Yakima just doesn't supply such a thing.

I'm sure I can come up with some kind of hold-down for it but this
seems really weird to me. Why would they not supply one for the few
cents it would cost? Is it not necessary? I'm sure that the fork in
any fork mount system does most of the holding and stabilizing, but
there would be about an inch of play in the rear without a bumper.
Seems to me that that would put a lot of stress on the fork ends if
that were allowed.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much.
Old April 19th 05, 12:49 AM
StaceyJ

I'm not sure about the mechanics of the Copperhead, but on my ancient
Thule fork mount, any play that would arise from a bouncing rear wheel
would be absorbed by the rotation of the front skewer/axle assembly.
YMMV.

SYJ

Old April 19th 05, 02:22 AM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:13:27 -0700, Dave Smith wrote:

I just got a Yakima roof rack with Copperhead carriers. It installed
very nicely and is great for my mountain bikes, but it has no adapter
to hold down the rear tire on a road bike. I called the dealer and he
said that Yakima just doesn't supply such a thing.

Huh? What do you use to hold down the rear wheel on the mountain bike?
Why won't that hold down the wheel of a road bike? My Copperhead carriers
had a plastic cinch-strap that holds either kind of wheel.

I'm sure I can come up with some kind of hold-down for it but this seems
really weird to me. Why would they not supply one for the few cents it
would cost? Is it not necessary? I'm sure that the fork in any fork
mount system does most of the holding and stabilizing, but there would
be about an inch of play in the rear without a bumper.

You mean, side to side play?* I don't think mine does; the trough in
which the wheel sits gets narrower at the bottom, and holds pretty well.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Deserves death! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve
_`\(,_ | death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to
(_)/ (_) | them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
-- J. R. R. Tolkein

Old April 19th 05, 02:57 AM
Leo Lichtman

"David L. Johnson" wrote: (clip)What do you use to hold down the rear wheel
on the mountain bike? Why won't that hold down the wheel of a road bike?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A mountain bike wheel and tire is fat enough to stick above the sidewalls of
the rack (trough). A thin wheel and rim is not as tall as the depth of the
trough. My solution would be to slide the strap forward, so it is ahead of
the point of tangency. The additional distance to the inside of the rim
will allow the strap to hold. I even do this on mountain bike wheels,
because that way the tension tends to press the bike forward, providing a
little extra security at the skewer or frame clamp.

Old April 19th 05, 07:10 AM
Dave

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 01:57:21 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"David L. Johnson" wrote: (clip)What do you use to hold down the rear wheel
on the mountain bike? Why won't that hold down the wheel of a road bike?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A mountain bike wheel and tire is fat enough to stick above the sidewalls of
the rack (trough). A thin wheel and rim is not as tall as the depth of the
trough. My solution would be to slide the strap forward, so it is ahead of
the point of tangency. The additional distance to the inside of the rim
will allow the strap to hold. I even do this on mountain bike wheels,
because that way the tension tends to press the bike forward, providing a
little extra security at the skewer or frame clamp.

Thanks for clearing that up. *Duh.*

I thought about your solution, but it seems to me that it would put a
lot of weird stretch on the strap. A lot of pressure on one side that
might eventually damage the strap. It seems to me to be a poor
solution to a simple problem that *should* have been addressed by
Yakima. That's why I wonder if I'm missing something or if Yakima
just dropped the ball in the design of this rack.

Thanks.
Old April 19th 05, 07:24 AM
Bill Sornson

Dave Smith wrote:
I just got a Yakima roof rack with Copperhead carriers. It installed
very nicely and is great for my mountain bikes, but it has no adapter
to hold down the rear tire on a road bike. I called the dealer and he
said that Yakima just doesn't supply such a thing.

I'm sure I can come up with some kind of hold-down for it but this
seems really weird to me. Why would they not supply one for the few
cents it would cost? Is it not necessary? I'm sure that the fork in
any fork mount system does most of the holding and stabilizing, but
there would be about an inch of play in the rear without a bumper.
Seems to me that that would put a lot of stress on the fork ends if
that were allowed.

Any ideas?

My Thule trays came with little rubber bumper dealies, but I've never had to
use them to hold down a road wheel. Guess all the rims have been "deep"
enough to cinch down tightly.

You could try putting something in the tray /underneath/ the wheel, to make
the rim ride a little higher for the strap to "engage"; or just bunch up a
wash cloth or something inside the rim and then tighten it down.

Rube Goldberg Bill

Old April 19th 05, 04:29 PM
mark

"Dave Smith" wrote...
I just got a Yakima roof rack with Copperhead carriers. It installed
very nicely and is great for my mountain bikes, but it has no adapter
to hold down the rear tire on a road bike. I called the dealer and he
said that Yakima just doesn't supply such a thing.

My Yakima bike carrier (ca 1991, don't recall the model name) came with a
little plastic spacer thingie that slid onto the cinch strap and took up the
free play between a road bike wheel and the cinch strap. I find it very hard
to believe that Yakima no longer supplies this item. I suggest you contact
Yakima directly and/or find another dealer.
--
mark

Old April 20th 05, 12:38 AM
Dave

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:29:41 GMT, "mark" wrote:

"Dave Smith" wrote...
I just got a Yakima roof rack with Copperhead carriers. It installed
very nicely and is great for my mountain bikes, but it has no adapter
to hold down the rear tire on a road bike. I called the dealer and he
said that Yakima just doesn't supply such a thing.

My Yakima bike carrier (ca 1991, don't recall the model name) came with a
little plastic spacer thingie that slid onto the cinch strap and took up the
free play between a road bike wheel and the cinch strap. I find it very hard
to believe that Yakima no longer supplies this item. I suggest you contact
Yakima directly and/or find another dealer.

Yep. I think it's really weird too, but I did contact several dealers
in my (San Diego) area and they all say that Yakima no longer supplies
the adapter. I'm surprised that there haven't been more knowledgable
posts on this as I thought Yakima racks were pretty popular and others
would have run into this.
Old April 20th 05, 01:28 AM
Leo Lichtman

"Dave" wrote: (clip) they all say that Yakima no longer supplies the
adapter.
In an earlier post, I suggested just moving the strap forward, but now I
will make a second suggestion: Thule wheel straps are almost identical to
Yakima's. Are they available from any of the dealers you have been
searching?