Large Marge or other common beefy rims...

Old April 15th 04, 12:20 AM
andrew_carter

Default Large Marge or other common beefy rims...

results, please visit http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/31806
Question: What do you think you'd prefer for muni? (assuming 24"
versions are available)

- 42(ish)mm wide Alex DX32, and other similar rims.
- 65mm wide Large Marge rim

Just wondering what people think of this Large Marge rim from what
they've heard so far. Assuming a 24" versoin will eventually be
available and the prices are reasonably similar, would you prefer the
beefy Alex DX-32 rim (or any other common beefy rim) or the ultra-beefy
Large Marge rim for muni? What about trials - do you think we need
anything wider than the Monty 19" rim? What about wider tyres?

I'm just curious. My 24x3" Gazz had never really significantly folded
on my Alex DX-32 rim, but I do like the sound of the Large Marge.

Thanks for the review Sofa.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

Old April 15th 04, 12:42 AM
john_childs

A correction for the text of the poll. The Alex DX32 is actually 32 mm
wide (inside width where the tire sits).

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old April 15th 04, 01:29 AM
andrew_carter

Thanks. Do you know the outside width of the DX-32? Surely 65mm for
the Large Marge is the outside width.....isn't it?!

Andrew

Old April 15th 04, 02:11 AM
john_childs

The Alex DX32 has an inside width of 32 mm and an outside width of 39
mm.

My Avro Zum rim that I have on my muni has an inside width of 38 mm and
an outside width of 44 mm. The extra width is noticeable compared to
the DX32 especially when doing side hops or pecking up a hill.

The Large Marge would be an interesting rim to use in the snow or sand.
Put on a 3" Gazz on it and go play in the snow or sand.

It will be interesting to see how the Large Marge and 3" Gazz or 3" Duro
Wildlife tire combo works in the dirt and on the pavement.

Old April 15th 04, 02:41 AM
Sofa

Doesn't seem like a very usefull poll.

One (or maybe a handful of others) have tried this rim?

How can anyone who has never even seen it vote against it? Or for it?

It could be sport altering.

It could be overkill.

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

'Unicycle Product Reviews' (http://tinyurl.com/368h6) *107* reviews on
*72* products

'London Unicycling Club Website ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/)
version 3.02

Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Old April 15th 04, 02:48 AM
andrew_carter

I guess I'm wondering what people think they think of it rather than
what they think of it. The poll wasn't the only purpose of this
thread though. I'm also wondering if you people feel the need for wider
trials rims and wider tyres in general...and why.

Andrew

Old April 15th 04, 03:02 AM
Sofa

I'm trying to picture a rim so wide that the 3" gazz is just a flat
knobby line

Old April 15th 04, 03:36 AM
Max_Dingemans

Im actually suprised how rounded the Kenda tire I'v put on my Large
marge is. I thought it would just be up, flat, and down. But it really
isnt, It actually looks alot like a gazz to me. as it, wide as heck and
rounded. I'll try to get a picture this weekend maybe...

--
Max_Dingemans - Hey Look, who's that?

BLAH!
Max_Dingemans's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1981

Old April 15th 04, 12:34 PM
pluto

The Halo SAS and Combat rims are both 36mm and I dont really think much
mroe than that is necisary but I do like the look of Large Marge.
Aaron

--
pluto - Muni obsesive

www.freeborn.co.uk

www.cumbriamuni.com

one or two wheels
+ a mountain
= fun
pluto's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3986

Large Marge Muni Mojoe Unicycling 32 April 22nd 04 03:36 PM
lets blow up some rims daveornee Techniques 1 March 19th 04 02:02 AM
large marge ubersquish Unicycling 8 December 3rd 03 11:43 PM
FS Large list of parts and bikes Marketplace 0 October 28th 03 05:55 AM