The Screech of Tyres!

Old October 13th 03, 08:46 AM
Lee

Default The Screech of Tyres!

Bit of a panic this AM, had my first real "nob head" c*r driver to contend
with.

The last part of my commute takes me down a fairly narrow lane (you can fit
2 cars accross and a cyclist but not much room for error!).

So this (*&%%$ in his car decides its a good idea to overtake me on a blind
bend, and I notice a car oncoming! The next thing I hear is the screeching
of tyres and my brain is thinking "this is it". Luckily he stopped in time
and averted a bit of a nasty crash (of which I would no doubt of come off
worst!!).

I could understand his frustration if I was trundling along but i was doing
close to 20mph (which i suppose to that idiot is a trundle).

Just thought I would share

Lee

Old October 13th 03, 06:52 PM
James Hodson

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 08:46:12 +0100, "Lee"
gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverym uch.btinternet.com
wrote:

So this (*&%%$ in his car decides its a good idea to overtake me on a blind
bend, and I notice a car oncoming! The next thing I hear is the screeching
of tyres and my brain is thinking "this is it". Luckily he stopped in time
and averted a bit of a nasty crash (of which I would no doubt of come off
worst!!).

Hi Lee

Locally, there is a sharpish left hand band which I cycle around
almost daily. I have had similar experiences to yours so now I make
sure I am riding well out from the kerb before I hit the curve. By
doing this no car coming from behind is able to overtake me until I'm
safely through the bend. OK, a car could try to overtake me; 99.9%
don't.

James

--
"Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.

Old October 13th 03, 10:27 PM
Adrian Boliston

wrote in message ...

Bit of a panic this AM, had my first real "nob head" c*r driver to contend
with.

My commute has a left hand blind bend with cars parked on the right and
today a council lorry was in the process of overtaking me on the blind bend
and of course a car was coming the other way and I could see a collision
imminent. The car coming the other way was forced to come to a complete
halt just so the council lorry could save a couple of seconds by overtaking
me on the bend.

Old October 14th 03, 08:24 AM
Richard Burton

wrote in message ...
[...]

Thanks for sharing. It seems to be an increasingly common problem. Last
year, I was cycling on a country lane, up a pretty steep hill, with a blind
right bend at the top. As I approached the top, I heard an ominous deisel
noise behind me as a van was thrashed up the hill. I saw the reflection of
the headlights of a vehicle coming the other way, and held my hand up, palm
backwards, to try to get the van driver to slow down and not overtake me on
the bend, but he ignored it, to go straight into the oncoming car. I stayed
as far left as possible to give them as much room as I could, but I didn't
fancy the ditch. Result, serious damage to both vehicles, both drivers
shaken but not injured. My witness report made it clear that the van driver
was at fault, but I don't know if he was prosecuted.

Lee

Old October 15th 03, 06:43 PM
James Hodson

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 08:24:13 +0100, "Richard Burton"
wrote:

Thanks for sharing. It seems to be an increasingly common problem. Last
year, I was cycling on a country lane, up a pretty steep hill, with a blind
right bend at the top. As I approached the top, I heard an ominous deisel
noise behind me as a van was thrashed up the hill. I saw the reflection of
the headlights of a vehicle coming the other way, and held my hand up, palm
backwards, to try to get the van driver to slow down and not overtake me on
the bend, but he ignored it, to go straight into the oncoming car. I stayed
as far left as possible to give them as much room as I could, but I didn't
fancy the ditch. Result, serious damage to both vehicles, both drivers
shaken but not injured. My witness report made it clear that the van driver
was at fault, but I don't know if he was prosecuted.

I saw a funny thing today. There is a skip parked on the pavement
approximately a hundred yards away from the bend I mentioned in my
wildly into the centre of the road to avoid this well lit
"obstruction"!

James

--
"Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.
Old October 16th 03, 08:24 AM
Lee

"James Hodson" wrote in message

I saw a funny thing today. There is a skip parked on the pavement
approximately a hundred yards away from the bend I mentioned in my
wildly into the centre of the road to avoid this well lit
"obstruction"!

James

--
"Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.

Supports my theory that people drive to work on auto pilot (i was guilty of
it too before i took up the bike challenge) - point your car in the right
direction and assume the journey will be the same EVERY day...

Bump - oh, sorry mate, i didnt see you :-p

Old October 17th 03, 06:34 PM
James Hodson

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 08:24:17 +0100, "Lee"
wrote:

Bump - oh, sorry mate, i didnt see you :-p

BO SMIDSY ? A famous guitar player, I believe.

DIDDLEY. "Damn, I darn diddleydodah exterminated you," said Ned
Flanders, having closely missed the skateboarding Bart.

James

--
"Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.

road tyres geepeetee General 3 July 28th 04 10:41 AM
All Terrain Cycles selling poor quality Panaracer tyres Jeremy Hughes Mountain Biking 6 January 13th 04 03:05 AM
recommendation for tyres? mule Mountain Biking 6 July 25th 03 12:17 PM