Got $500...what to spend it on

Old April 6th 06, 03:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Got $500...what to spend it on

I have a gift voucher for $500 at my local LBS. It's a nice dilemma to
have, but I don't know what to spend it on. My roadbike has Shimano 105
9spd, carbon bars/seatpost/cages, new saddle, new wheels & Shimano 105
pedals.

Here’s what I’m considering:

Compact: I’m heading to France next year and will consider going
Compact. I can get FSA Gossamer compact setup for $420 including new
BB. Alternatively, I can just get a new 27 cassette for $150 (Ultegra)
and switch it when I leave. The Shimano compact setup is about $575 and
is equivalent to 105 level.

Pedals: I am planning on getting new pedals, I would go for LOOK Keo
Carbon’s are $299

Shoes: My Carnacs are 3 or 4 years old now, still in good nick, but
they’ve either stretched or my feet have shrunk, cause they’re a little
loose. New nice shoes of various brands for $300’ish.

Clothes: Could always use a new set of full length knicks and jersey
for winter (and those Alps I’ll be hitting next year).

Groupset: I guess I could get a Dura Ace component or two (deraileurs,
crankset, brakes, BB).

New lights for winter.

What would you do given my situation and current setup?

--
Walrus

Old April 6th 06, 03:22 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Walrus Wrote:
[...]

Lights and clothes - your bike sounds fine. Worry about gearing for
France next year.

--
artemidorus

Old April 6th 06, 03:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle

artemidorus wrote:

What would you do given my situation and current setup?

Lights and clothes - your bike sounds fine. Worry about gearing for
France next year.

Agreed. A 12:27 will get you up anything and you'll wear it out if you
buy it now and a compact crank is for people with broken collarbones
and other people's blood! For $500 you'll get most of an HID light or
a good halogen lightset.

Old April 6th 06, 03:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Walrus wrote:
I have a gift voucher for $500 at my local LBS. It's a nice dilemma to
have, but I don't know what to spend it on. My roadbike has Shimano 105
9spd, carbon bars/seatpost/cages, new saddle, new wheels & Shimano 105
pedals.

Here's what I'm considering:

Compact: I'm heading to France next year and will consider going
Compact. I can get FSA Gossamer compact setup for $420 including new
BB. Alternatively, I can just get a new 27 cassette for $150 (Ultegra)
and switch it when I leave. The Shimano compact setup is about $575 and
is equivalent to 105 level.

snip

Were you referring to the new Shimano R700 compact crank? I thought it
was meant to be specced somewhere between Ultegra and DuraAcel

Old April 6th 06, 03:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Bleve wrote:
artemidorus wrote:

What would you do given my situation and current setup?

Lights and clothes - your bike sounds fine. Worry about gearing for
France next year.

Agreed. A 12:27 will get you up anything and you'll wear it out if you
buy it now and a compact crank is for people with broken collarbones
and other people's blood!

Surely you don't mean that only Tyler Hamilton can use a compact crank!

Old April 6th 06, 04:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Bleve wrote:

artemidorus wrote:

What would you do given my situation and current setup?

Lights and clothes - your bike sounds fine. Worry about gearing for
France next year.

Agreed. A 12:27 will get you up anything and you'll wear it out if you
buy it now and a compact crank is for people with broken collarbones
and other people's blood! For $500 you'll get most of an HID light or
a good halogen lightset.

I don't think a 12:27 would get me up 35km of 10% grade, unless it had a
motor!

Tam
Old April 6th 06, 04:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle

petulance Wrote:

Were you referring to the new Shimano R700 compact crank? I thought it
was meant to be specced somewhere between Ultegra and DuraAcelYep, I apoke to the LBS and they said it was "around 105 level". If you

look at the Shimano site, they list it under "High Grade Components".
So not really sure on that one.

--
Walrus

Old April 6th 06, 04:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle

EuanB wrote:

Depends on the use of the bike. Trust me when I say that my compact
set up (FSA Gossamer btw) has made the hills of Blackurn Road a lot
easier with 10-15kgs of stuff in the panniers.

Or, get fit and ditch the panniers full of rocks

Old April 6th 06, 04:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Bleve Wrote:
EuanB wrote:

Depends on the use of the bike. Trust me when I say that my compact
set up (FSA Gossamer btw) has made the hills of Blackurn Road a lot
easier with 10-15kgs of stuff in the panniers.

Or, get fit and ditch the panniers full of rocks

Telecoms and radio don't lend themselves to light tools. I've pushed
(and mainly gotten) for a complete set of tools in each centre but
there are some things I still have to carry.

I could lose two kilos, but with a resting HR of 42 and recovery of 90
beats in a minute after an hour at 85% max HR, I reckon I'm fit enough
for most purposes :-)

--
EuanB

Old April 6th 06, 04:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle

EuanB wrote:
Bleve Wrote:
EuanB wrote:

Depends on the use of the bike. Trust me when I say that my compact
set up (FSA Gossamer btw) has made the hills of Blackurn Road a lot
easier with 10-15kgs of stuff in the panniers.

Or, get fit and ditch the panniers full of rocks

Telecoms and radio don't lend themselves to light tools. I've pushed
(and mainly gotten) for a complete set of tools in each centre but
there are some things I still have to carry.

But this is your daily commute, right?

I could lose two kilos, but with a resting HR of 42 and recovery of 90
beats in a minute after an hour at 85% max HR, I reckon I'm fit enough
for most purposes :-)

Fit's a funny thing, and difficult to really compare. What's your best
time up the 1:20? What do you weigh? How tall are you? What's your
max steady state power output over 20 minutes etc?

If you had 5m to spend POHB UK 46 October 4th 05 07:02 PM
Help spend my refund check RonSonic Techniques 1 April 7th 05 01:26 AM
$500 road bike? ProfTournesol Australia 5 June 29th 04 02:20 AM
best Muni under $500? duncan Unicycling 28 May 21st 04 04:46 AM