Bike Headlights

Old October 6th 03, 04:19 AM
Steven M. Scharf

Default Bike Headlights

"Doug Purdy" wrote in message news:QW2gb.34828

How many batteries do you need? Can you do a 4 hour ride?

With both headlights, and one rear xenon strobe I can go 1:45
with a 5AH battery. To go 4 hours would require a 7AH battery
and riding mostly with only one headlight on. 7AH batteries aren't
much more expensive, but they are heavier.

My commute is about 45-50 minutes so a 5AH battery is more than
enough.

For more details see: http://www.bicyclelighting.com

Old October 6th 03, 05:13 AM
Steve Knight

I would be worried they would think you are a car far away with lights so close
together.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old October 6th 03, 07:20 AM
patrick mitchel

Doug Purdy wrote in message
.rogers.com...
"Steven M. Scharf" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Per Elmsäter" wrote in message
Steven M. Scharf wrote:
See: http://www.nordicgroup.us/s78/images/dual14W.jpg

They're the best bike lights I've found. They are very lightweight,
completely waterproof, inexpensive (about $6 each or so),
and the larger reflectors mean more lumens per watt that the
MR16 or MR11 based high power lights with their small
and tiny reflectors (respectively). Plus you can buy them at
any Home Depot.

How many batteries do you need? Can you do a 4 hour ride?

Doug
Toronto

Steven; What's the beamspread on the lv504. I went to the intermatic website
and there aren't any specs stated at the site. I have a Bisy and have
uprated the bulb to about 5 watts and while the pattern is great, am looking
for a bit better output without going to the 25 watt range. Perhaps eating
more carrots will be of aid ;-) Regards Pat

Old October 6th 03, 03:53 PM
Steven M. Scharf

Steven M. Scharf wrote:
[...]

The beam pattern is not as focused as one of the MR11 or MR16 lamps.
I'd call it a flood pattern, which is ambiguous I guess, but that's what it
looks like. Much more stray light than the Bisy.

http://www.fa-technik.adfc.de/Kompon.../vergleich.htm

I'd say more like the Aufa pattern than anything.

Old October 6th 03, 04:56 PM
Rick Onanian

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 15:15:41 GMT, Brian Huntley
wrote:
Tom Keats wrote:
[**] I'm not really sure if "empuzzle" is truly a word. Oh, well.

It's a perfectly cromulent word.

The great thing about the English language is how flexible it is.
You can make up words and people know what you're talking about.
Sometimes, you make up a word that exists.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=empuzzle
Sometimes, you know a weird word already:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=cromulent
--
Rick "Esoteric Semanticist" Onanian
Old October 7th 03, 03:14 AM
Craig Holl

Pbwalther wrote:
Well, there are 2 purposes of headlights. One is visibility - that
is for other people to see YOU. And the other is illumination - so
you can see things like pot holes, road kills, lil animals, and
joggers.

Both lights will give decent visibility. The LED will give just
about 0 illumination. The halogen will give a little bit but not
much. You need about 15 watts to give illumination and even that
really isn't enough if you are riding very fast.

More about what I'll be using it for:

A) During the end of the summer and in the fall, I sometimes get a little
overzealous and ride too far away from home for the remaining daylight. There is
always some sunlight left when I get home, but sometimes not too much. In this
instance visibility is important, although a little illumination of the road would
be a bonus.

B) Here in Wisconsin there are quite a few rail-trails with tunnels. This summer
on the Elroy-Sparta, a friend and I rode through the 3/4 mile Norwalk tunnel. He
had the 2.4W halogen, and it did a decent job of allowing us to ride very slowly
through the tunnel instead of walking through. I'd be willing to give up a little
illumination to get the much longer battery life in the LED. Will it be steep
dropoff, as it seems you indicate?

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post!

Anyone from Wisconsin in this group?

--
Craig
Bike Trails of Wisconsin and the Midwest

Old October 7th 03, 04:01 PM
Steven M. Scharf

"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message
om...

Do you guys really have that much trouble out there?

Yes. I don't know where you live, but I'd be willing to
wager that the amount of trouble a cyclist has is directly
related to their location. Not just the traffic levels and
the road networks, but even the ethic make-up of the area. I
live in an area where many people learned to drive as adults
rather than as teenagers, and are quite inexperienced. Also, a
lot of them come from countries where cyclists and pedestrians
are very low on the totem pole, and where motorists count on
cyclists and pedestrians to get out the hell out of their way.

Am I really leading a charmed life?

Yes, so far. But don't rely on that. Put some good lights on your
bicycle