Met Police cracking down on anti-social cyclists

Old February 9th 12, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_9_]

Default Met Police cracking down on anti-social cyclists

An operation to crack down on anti-social cyclists was carried out last week
by officers from Campden Safer Neighbourhoods team and the Safer Transport
Team.

A total of 19 cyclists received warnings and fixed penalty notices from
officers during the two hour operation in Kensington High Street and
Kensington Church Street for offences including cycling through red traffic
lights and cycling on the pavement.

The operation formed part of a larger cycle awareness event organised by
Kensington and Chelsea council, which took place in Holland Park, to promote
road safety and raise awareness of crime prevention.

More than 50 cyclists attended the event where they got to experience the
view from inside a HGV and see what a lorry driver can and cannot see.
Police and Community Support Officers were on hand to security mark visitors
bikes and provide crime prevention advice, whilst bicycle mechanics from Dr
Bike conducted a number of minor repairs and maintenance checks.

Sgt Bob Lands from Campden Safer Neighbourhoods team said "The majority of
cyclists in Kensington and Chelsea are considerate and law-abiding.

"The prime aim of these operations is to help cyclists secure their bikes
and stay safe on the streets, whilst cracking down on the minority whose
reckless and inconsiderate behaviour not only puts themselves in danger but
pedestrians and other road users too."

http://content.met.police.uk/News/Cr.../1257246745756

Old February 9th 12, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 10:09:04 -0000, "Mr. Benn" wrote:

An operation to crack down on anti-social cyclists was carried out last week
by officers from Campden Safer Neighbourhoods team and the Safer Transport
Team.

It really does seem to be catching on. I cannot remember the police conducting
so many similar operations.

Excellent news.

Old February 9th 12, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Default Police seek Manchester driver who hit cyclist in possible road rage attack

QUOTE:

Greater Manchester Police have issued an appeal to trace a motorist
who struck a cyclist, causing him to be thrown over his car’s bonnet
and leaving him lying in the road in what seems to be a road rage
incident last Wednesday lunchtime in Fallowfield, Manchester. However,
whether the motorist deliberately drove at the bike rider appears
unlcear for now.

The cyclist, 21-year-old Manchester University student Alexander
Foreman, outlined to the Manchester Evening News his recollection tof
the incident that happened on Egerton Road at 1.10pm on Wednesday 1
February.

"I was cycling along when a car clipped me with his wing mirror,” Mr
Foreman explained. “I heard him [the motorist] swear loudly, even with
his windows wound up, and he became really angry.

"I just wanted to get away so I cycled on. At the traffic lights [at
the junction with Wilmslow Road], he mounted the kerb and the next
thing I knew I was on his bonnet. It was all over really quickly,"
added the cyclist, who escaped with nothing worse than cuts and
bruises.

"People don’t realise how vulnerable cyclists are when they are on the
road,” he continued. “If you are in a car, you weigh about a tonne. If
you’re on a bike, you weigh about 100kg.

"Motorists need to be aware of the damage that can be done," he added.

A statement issued by Greater Manchester Police makes no mention about
whether it is being treated as a road rage incident nor whether they
believe the motorists deliberately targeted the cyclist.

"A gold coloured Toyota Yaris which had mounted the kerb in an effort
to pass waiting cars collided into him, forcing the man onto the
bonnet of the car," it said. "The victim then fell off and the Yaris
drove off without checking on the cyclist’s welfare."

Police describe the driver of the vehicle involved as being an Asian
male with stubble, and Detective Constable Richard Lees said: "This
man did not even bother to check on the person he had driven into.

“His impatience meant he had little regard for other road users and we
therefore need to catch him as soon as possible.

"We are appealing to any of the motorists who witnessed the incident,
particularly those who may have made a note of the registration number
to come forward."

Anyone who has information about the incident is asked to contact
police on 0161 856 6090 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

--
Simon Mason

Hundreds more anti-social cyclists stopped by officers Mr. Benn[_9_] UK 3 February 9th 12 01:04 PM
It's Scarborough now who is sick of anti-social cyclists, Marie UK 1 April 24th 11 12:19 AM
Police Target anti-social cycling mileburner UK 92 April 15th 09 03:23 PM
Anti-social behaviour Brimstone UK 65 June 10th 05 09:21 PM
Anti-social behaviour Brimstone UK 0 June 6th 05 10:45 PM