Busted Tailbone won't heal completely

Old June 4th 04, 09:13 PM
Memphis Mud

Default Busted Tailbone won't heal completely

OK its been a year since the 5 foot giraffe kicked me in the boohiney.
It has healed to the point that I always am aware of it, but it only
really "hurts" after a unicycle ride of more than an hour or two. Road
rides and giraffe rides hurt more sooner because I sit heavy in the
saddle in those cases. This is generally the only thing that keeps me
from riding more than 13 or 15 miles on the 29er. I can MUni long enough
to exhaust my energy because I stop often (giving coccyx a break) and
stand on the pedals more.

A buddy said that with a strong enough hit, you can break that coccyx
bone right off so it just floats around and therefore is easy to
inflame.

No, I haven't seen or talked to a doctor. I thought I'd check with my
Uni-braintrust first.

Should I:
Consult a real doctor?
Stay off the uni for 6 months?
take plenty of Ibuprofen?
have the thing surgically removed?
Settle in, because I'll have to deal with it forever?
Only ride MUni?

--
Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...

"do not think, just ride"...muniracer
Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

Old June 4th 04, 09:29 PM
ChangingLINKS.com

Yep.
The obvious choice is double up on the off-road riding.

--
ChangingLINKS.com - member

Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com
ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

Old June 4th 04, 09:37 PM
One on one

I think that you should wait a little longer. After all it's only been 1
year.
Seriously, a doctor and an x-ray will probably let you know what is
going on. Then you'll know if there's anything that can be done about
it. There is the risk of the doctor wanting you to perform a unidectomy.
(unicycle removed from your butt for the rest of your life)
It's really good that you allow fellow unicyclists to help make health
decisions for you. Good luck.

--
One on one - Hooked on a fun fix!
One on one's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5740

Old June 4th 04, 09:59 PM
johnfoss

Doctor my ass!

Let me rephrase that: "Doctor, my ass!"

In other words, listen to us all you want. If it were my tailbone, I
think I'd consider it worth a doctor visit. A doctor, probably and an
X-ray are the only ways to know for sure what's going on. It might just
be one of those things that takes a long time to heal completely, but
what if it isn't?

Meanwhile, for road riding, use a handle if you don't already have one.
I can't imagine riding my Coker to work without the handle setup I have.
Not just the built-in seat handle, but something additional. Mine is a
Wyganowski handle, but any type will help, to give you an ergonomically
decent place to lean part of your weight as you ride.

Then take breaks as necessary.

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"if you can do balloon animals,you can lace your own wheel." -- Jagur

Old June 5th 04, 12:50 AM
cyberbellum

Naw, I wouldn't bother seeing a doctor.

The tailbone is vestigal and only has a couple of functions. It protects
the nerves that connect your bladder, rectum and sexual organs to your
brain, and it holds a few minor supporting muscles in your hips. The
worst that can happen is that there is a break that will eventually
pinch that nerve and you'll be incontinent, impotent and walk funny. On
the bright side, you wouldn't be able to feel the saddle chafing, and
the adult diapers will be a little cushier than normal bike shorts.

Your choice.

--
cyberbellum - Level 1.0 rider!

Optimists think the glass is half full. Pesimists think the glass is
half empty. Engineers think the glass is too big.
cyberbellum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4550

Old June 5th 04, 02:23 AM
DudleyDoRide

My vote is that you should see a doctor & have it x-rayed. Get it taken
care of before you end up doing more damage. Waiting a year after an
injury seem like a long time, call your doctor.

I hope that you will be riding pain free soon.

Gene

--
DudleyDoRide - Municyclist
DudleyDoRide's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2090

Old June 5th 04, 03:06 AM
grumpygreymatter

A doctor will likely tell you that the tail bone cannot be "repaired",
since it is unlikely you will be standing for the remainder of your
life. He, or she, will also let you know that the best way to minimize
the damage is to stay off it until it heals.

My mother broke her tail bone jumping off the back of a set of bleachers
when I was still in high school. It's been twenty years, and it still
gives her a little trouble. She doesn't seem to compain about it much,
but that could be due to the fact that she's over 2,000 miles away, and
we don't talk every day.

Good luck.

--
grumpygreymatter - What the...?

We had a few beers and decided to try fly-fishing while mounted on a
muni - unfortunately, there are no photos, as all present were laughing
too hard to hold the camera. We're looking for someone with no sense of
humor to document further attempts...or, a tripod.
grumpygreymatter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5950

Old June 5th 04, 03:36 AM
andrew_carter

Doctor my ass!
Let me rephrase that: "Doctor, my ass!"

Good one!

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

Old June 5th 04, 03:41 AM
unibiker

Sorry to hear about this injury. My lurking (and riding) has been spotty
at best, since the back trouble (which also occurred just about a year
ago).
GET THE X-RAY ALREADY!!! A year is too long. I waited also, and regret
it. I'm now undergoing spinal injections, which by the way may be of
some help in your case.

Say hello to the MUC gang.

--
unibiker - What is that thing anyway?

Jeff Baker

______________________________

Favorite comment (from a child) 'You can't do that. That's impossible.'
'Unibike Gallery' (
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albun01)
unibiker's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/473

Old June 5th 04, 04:42 AM
PopeSamXVI

Good God! See a doctor immediately. But then, that's my solution to any
discomfort. I'm kind of a Hypochondriac (and I once played one, but
that's another story). I should have to live in any discomfort and
neither should you! That's why we have technology!

--
PopeSamXVI - Resident Hogwasher/Hornswaggler

Karol Jozef Wojtyla Forever!

I really am the president of my own fan club. www.samhunterfanclub.tk
PopeSamXVI's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6661