re-lacing hubs-- bad idea?

Old August 22nd 04, 03:30 AM
Michael L.

Default re-lacing hubs-- bad idea?

I have a front wheel with an American Classic, 32 hole hub, radially
laced to a Mavic Open 4 CD rim. This wheel probably has around 3,000
miles on it. Although the wheel has given me no problems and has
stayed true, I've never entirely trusted the radial lacing. I'd like to
relace the hub on a new Open Pro rim with a standard 3-cross lacing
pattern.

A few questions to the wheel experts:

1) Am I right not to trust the durability and safety of the radially
laced wheel? I weigh 175 lbs., ride mostly paved but often-uneven roads
in Marin County, on a 1993 Schwinn Paramount.

2) Is there any reason not to relace the hub with a new lacing pattern?

3) Would I be significantly better off using a brand new hub, or can I
expect long life from the American Classic on a new rim?

TIA
Michael
Old August 22nd 04, 03:44 AM
jim beam

Michael L. wrote:
I have a front wheel with an American Classic, 32 hole hub, radially
laced to a Mavic Open 4 CD rim. This wheel probably has around 3,000
miles on it. Although the wheel has given me no problems and has
stayed true, I've never entirely trusted the radial lacing. I'd like to
relace the hub on a new Open Pro rim with a standard 3-cross lacing
pattern.

A few questions to the wheel experts:

1) Am I right not to trust the durability and safety of the radially
laced wheel? I weigh 175 lbs., ride mostly paved but often-uneven roads
in Marin County, on a 1993 Schwinn Paramount.

depends if the hub's designed for radial or not. if it is, there's
absolutely no problem.

2) Is there any reason not to relace the hub with a new lacing pattern?

yes.

1. if it's a radial hub, you're wasting your money.
2. radial causes indents in the hub holes which, when re-laced
tangentialy, are in the best position to initiate fatigue. doubtful
that it'll be a significant issue in practice because spokes are rounded
and the notch radius is not too aggressive, but the potential exists.

3) Would I be significantly better off using a brand new hub, or can I
expect long life from the American Classic on a new rim?

new hub + new rim = new wheel. if you want a new wheel, just buy one.
get yourself on up to gravy wheels if you want custom. or see len @ the
bike nook in the city. probably the only two builders in this neck of
the woods worth their name. and i'd put len at the top of that list.

TIA
Michael

Old August 22nd 04, 08:29 AM
Zog The Undeniable

Michael L. wrote:
I have a front wheel with an American Classic, 32 hole hub, radially
laced to a Mavic Open 4 CD rim. This wheel probably has around 3,000
miles on it. Although the wheel has given me no problems and has
stayed true, I've never entirely trusted the radial lacing. I'd like to
relace the hub on a new Open Pro rim with a standard 3-cross lacing
pattern.

A few questions to the wheel experts:

1) Am I right not to trust the durability and safety of the radially
laced wheel? I weigh 175 lbs., ride mostly paved but often-uneven roads
in Marin County, on a 1993 Schwinn Paramount.

I have a 32 spoke radially laced wheel which has been going for over a
decade. It's on an Ultegra hub which AFAIK isn't recommended for radial
lacing. I do inspect the hub flanges for cracking before each ride.

2) Is there any reason not to relace the hub with a new lacing pattern?

You should never go from a crossed pattern to a radial pattern (radial
is very hard on the hub flanges, and they will have been notched by the
old [1] spokes) but the other way round is a bit safer. Better still is
a new hub.

3) Would I be significantly better off using a brand new hub, or can I
expect long life from the American Classic on a new rim?

See above. If you get a hub that is recommended for radial lacing, by
all means have another radial wheel. They are slightly lighter due to
the short spokes, and I like the look of them.

[1] of course, you'd have to replace the radial spokes with longer ones.
Old August 22nd 04, 11:11 AM
Trevor Jeffrey

Michael L. wrote in message ...
I have a front wheel with an American Classic, 32 hole hub, radially
laced to a Mavic Open 4 CD rim. This wheel probably has around 3,000
miles on it. Although the wheel has given me no problems and has
stayed true, I've never entirely trusted the radial lacing. I'd like to
relace the hub on a new Open Pro rim with a standard 3-cross lacing
pattern.

A few questions to the wheel experts:

1) Am I right not to trust the durability and safety of the radially
laced wheel? I weigh 175 lbs., ride mostly paved but often-uneven roads
in Marin County, on a 1993 Schwinn Paramount.

2) Is there any reason not to relace the hub with a new lacing pattern?

3) Would I be significantly better off using a brand new hub, or can I
expect long life from the American Classic on a new rim?

I wouldn't bother changing the wheel at all, you will probably get a lot
more mileage before spoke breakage, then would be the time to change the
lacing pattern. Just check to make sure the spokes are not overtensioned.
With the wheel in the bike, release the tension of one spoke completely,
consider this will happen eventually, when you are riding. If you think
the deviation too excessive slacken the rest of the spokes by 1/4 turn and
check for acceptable deviation. Once acceptable, re-install that nipple
winding up to get the rim true. No changes may have to be made.

Trevor

Old August 22nd 04, 02:37 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

michael- 1) Am I right not to trust the durability and safety of the radially

laced wheel? I weigh 175 lbs., ride mostly paved but often-uneven roads
in Marin County, on a 1993 Schwinn Paramount. BRBR

Probably be fine. The biggest 'issue' with radial lacing is that is doesn't do
anything to make a wheel 'better'.

2) Is there any reason not to relace the hub with a new lacing pattern?

3) Would I be significantly better off using a brand new hub, or can I
expect long life from the American Classic on a new rim? BRBR

I would keep the present wheel as a spare and build a new wheel, laced cross,
on a better hub. AC hubs are not the picture of reliability.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 22nd 04, 07:27 PM
RonSonic

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 19:30:55 -0700, "Michael L."
wrote:

I have a front wheel with an American Classic, 32 hole hub, radially
laced to a Mavic Open 4 CD rim. This wheel probably has around 3,000
miles on it. Although the wheel has given me no problems and has
stayed true, I've never entirely trusted the radial lacing. I'd like to
relace the hub on a new Open Pro rim with a standard 3-cross lacing
pattern.

A few questions to the wheel experts:

1) Am I right not to trust the durability and safety of the radially
laced wheel? I weigh 175 lbs., ride mostly paved but often-uneven roads
in Marin County, on a 1993 Schwinn Paramount.

2) Is there any reason not to relace the hub with a new lacing pattern?

3) Would I be significantly better off using a brand new hub, or can I
expect long life from the American Classic on a new rim?

Just from a practical point of view - by keeping the hub you still have the
labor, spokes, rim and accesory costs of a whole new wheel. Sure it's a
non-cheap hub, but getting/building a new wheel and either selling or keeping
the old one for special events makes more economic sense.

Ron

Old August 23rd 04, 07:59 AM
LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m

the wheel has given me no problems and has stayed true

Then leave it alone.

Old August 23rd 04, 06:46 PM
Weisse Luft

LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m Wrote:
the wheel has given me no problems and has stayed tru

Then leave it alone

-
"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with muc
to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes

Agree. The AC ultralight hub is fine for your size, especially wit
that rim and 32 spokes. If the spokes are DB, its even less of
concern. The only potential weakness is the service schedule. If yo
give the bearings a shot of grease every 1000 miles and do not attemp
river fordings, it should last forever

--
Weisse Luft