Appropriate Use Policy

Old February 11th 05, 02:48 AM
Edward Dolan

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:48:43 -0600, "Edward Dolan"
wrote in message :

Last I heard "to differ" was still a verb.

One entry found for differ.
Function: intransitive verb

Thus: a verb. There was nothing wrong with the sentence as written.

I would have written your above statement quite differently.

Quite possibly. You are never known to use one word where five will
do, after all.

For differing values of near. Try getting from London to Cambridge
some time.

Nope, differing still doesn't look right or sound right. I am almost sure
you are not using the word correctly. I'll bet you can't find me a
literary
example of it being used like how you used it.

I believe it appears in Terry Pratchett, but why should I need to?
Check out uk.rec.sheds some time.

I am convinced you are using the word (intransitive verb) improperly. I have
read widely and I have never seen it used like how you used it. However, I
will do some research on this and get back to you. I have a very keen sense
of how words are to be used based on a life time of reading. Your usage,
even if correct, is rare and most likely obsolete to say the least.

What I would really like to get my hands on is the Oxford English Dictionary
(OED), but my local library does not have brains enough to keep a valuable
resource like that available. They think such a resource is only for
scholars, never realizing they have a genius like me living in their midst.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old February 11th 05, 02:56 AM
Edward Dolan

wrote in message
oups.com...

Edward Dolan wrote:

Prove it!

Today alone you have lied twice!

You obviously don't know what it means to lie! It's easy to see why
you live alone! Who wants to live with a liar!

In addition, I believe anyone who is forever calling others liars is

a form
of harassment and defamation. Perry Butler stands condemned out of

his own
mouth.

I only call people liars who are liars!

I call you a liar because you are!

Just speaking the truth Ed, just speaking the truth!

Perry B

Perry has spent too much time on computers and not enough time in libraries.
Words are slippery as hell. They can have multiple meanings and definitions
depending on the context in which they are used. However, I know this is
going right over his head. I need to remind myself to keep things simple for
Perry Butler so he can understand what is being said. Complexities and
difficulties are not for him.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old February 11th 05, 03:04 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:48:51 -0600, "Edward Dolan"
wrote in message :

I believe it appears in Terry Pratchett, but why should I need to?
Check out uk.rec.sheds some time.

I am convinced you are using the word (intransitive verb) improperly. I have
read widely and I have never seen it used like how you used it. However, I

^^^^^^^^
will do some research on this and get back to you.

How can you when you are out of here? Oh, wait, that was bull****,
wasn't it? Sorry, I forgot.

I have a very keen sense
of how words are to be used based on a life time of reading. Your usage,

^^^^^^^^^
even if correct, is rare and most likely obsolete to say the least.

Obsolete or emergent or arcane or just British. Who cares. Grammar
flames are the last refuge of the loser, after all.

I maintain that the sentence was grammatically correct - and valid in
context.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old February 11th 05, 03:18 AM
Edward Dolan

wrote in message :

I believe it appears in Terry Pratchett, but why should I need to?
Check out uk.rec.sheds some time.

I am convinced you are using the word (intransitive verb) improperly. I
have
read widely and I have never seen it used like how you used it. However, I

^^^^^^^^
will do some research on this and get back to you.

How can you when you are out of here? Oh, wait, that was bull****,
wasn't it? Sorry, I forgot.

Remember what I said about opera stars and their dozen farewell concerts.

I have a very keen sense
of how words are to be used based on a life time of reading. Your usage,

^^^^^^^^^
even if correct, is rare and most likely obsolete to say the least.

Obsolete or emergent or arcane or just British. Who cares. Grammar
flames are the last refuge of the loser, after all.

No, you have used the language improperly, of that I am convinced. If you
were true blue English you would ascribe the utmost significance to this
matter. I can't think of anything that is more important, at least not at
the moment.

I maintain that the sentence was grammatically correct - and valid in
context.

And I disagree. We shall see who is right! It looked stupid and it sounded
stupid. It can't possibly be right. But I will admit those darn intransitive
verbs can be tricky.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old February 11th 05, 12:04 PM
Edward Dolan

wrote in message :

[...]

Guy Chapman originally wrote:

For differing values of truthful, helpful, defamation, harassment,
threats, obscenity and lawfulness.

Edward Dolan wrote:

An incomplete sentence.

Where the hell are (is) the verbs (verb)?

I have checked several dictionaries and there is no way your use of
"differing" makes any sense at all. Admittedly I would have to go the Oxford
English Dictionary to be positive about this. Unless you can find me a
"literary" usage of this word the way you used it, then you are clearly
wrong and I don't give a damn about what might be in the vernacular. It
looks stupid and it sounds stupid. Therefore, it can't be right. Case
closed!

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old February 11th 05, 09:29 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:18:45 -0600, "Edward Dolan"
wrote in message :

How can you when you are out of here? Oh, wait, that was bull****,
wasn't it? Sorry, I forgot.

Remember what I said about opera stars and their dozen farewell concerts.

Ed, you are without question far more Oprah than opera.

even if correct, is rare and most likely obsolete to say the least.

Obsolete or emergent or arcane or just British. Who cares. Grammar
flames are the last refuge of the loser, after all.

No, you have used the language improperly, of that I am convinced. If you
were true blue English you would ascribe the utmost significance to this
matter. I can't think of anything that is more important, at least not at
the moment.

So potter along to an English newsgroup such as the quintessentially
English uk.rec.sheds, where anything Leftpondian is eschewed and even
the words Senapr and Treznal must be ROTed to save the delicate
sensibilities - here you will find the phrase and its minor variants
sufficiently common that they are often abbreviated to FSVO (for some
values of), FCVO (for certain values of) etc.

Now provide an authority which states that I cannot use the phrase in
that way. No, on second thoughts, don't bother. It's irrelevant - a
grammar flame is a tacit acknowledgement that you have lost the
argument, and I am happy to accept it as such.

And I disagree. We shall see who is right! It looked stupid and it sounded
stupid. It can't possibly be right. But I will admit those darn intransitive
verbs can be tricky.

But not as tricky as intransigent Septics.

Old February 11th 05, 09:31 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 06:04:53 -0600, "Edward Dolan"
wrote in message :

I have checked several dictionaries and there is no way your use of
"differing" makes any sense at all. Admittedly I would have to go the Oxford
English Dictionary to be positive about this. Unless you can find me a
"literary" usage of this word the way you used it, then you are clearly
wrong and I don't give a damn about what might be in the vernacular. It
looks stupid and it sounds stupid. Therefore, it can't be right. Case
closed!

So you say. But I am disinclined to take your word for it - after
all, you made a couple of childish grammatical errors in your grammar
flame, so clearly you are not the authority you believe yourself to
be.

Old February 13th 05, 02:36 AM
Edward Dolan

wrote in message :

I have checked several dictionaries and there is no way your use of
"differing" makes any sense at all. Admittedly I would have to go the
Oxford
English Dictionary to be positive about this. Unless you can find me a
"literary" usage of this word the way you used it, then you are clearly
wrong and I don't give a damn about what might be in the vernacular. It
looks stupid and it sounds stupid. Therefore, it can't be right. Case
closed!

So you say. But I am disinclined to take your word for it - after
all, you made a couple of childish grammatical errors in your grammar
flame, so clearly you are not the authority you believe yourself to
be.

I do not believe I have ever made a grammatical error in my life. That is
because I am perfect. I do make lots of typos but that is because I can't
type worth a darn. I have always considered the ability to type to be an
appropriate activity for my inferiors. I spend my time thinking and writing,
not typing.

A dictionary would illustrate your use of the word as it is not common.
Since I do not see it illustrated, I conclude that it is just flat out
wrong.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old February 13th 05, 02:58 AM
Edward Dolan

wrote in message :

How can you when you are out of here? Oh, wait, that was bull****,
wasn't it? Sorry, I forgot.

Remember what I said about opera stars and their dozen farewell concerts.

Ed, you are without question far more Oprah than opera.

I spent every Saturday afternoon of my youth listening to the Met Opera
broadcasts on the radio. Man, those Wagner operas were really long. Some of
them would start at 12:30 and not be over until 5:00. How did you spend your
Saturday afternoons when you were a youth?

even if correct, is rare and most likely obsolete to say the least.

Obsolete or emergent or arcane or just British. Who cares. Grammar
flames are the last refuge of the loser, after all.

No, you have used the language improperly, of that I am convinced. If you
were true blue English you would ascribe the utmost significance to this
matter. I can't think of anything that is more important, at least not at
the moment.

So potter along to an English newsgroup such as the quintessentially
English uk.rec.sheds, where anything Leftpondian is eschewed and even
the words Senapr and Treznal must be ROTed to save the delicate
sensibilities - here you will find the phrase and its minor variants
sufficiently common that they are often abbreviated to FSVO (for some
values of), FCVO (for certain values of) etc.

If it is not in a standard dictionary and it's use illustrated, then it
should not be used. The standard for all English usage is what an educated
person would be expected to know, not something that can be drudged up from
an obscure source.

Now provide an authority which states that I cannot use the phrase in
that way. No, on second thoughts, don't bother. It's irrelevant - a
grammar flame is a tacit acknowledgement that you have lost the
argument, and I am happy to accept it as such.

What argument? We are discussing the use of "differing" used as a verb.

I go by whether or not something looks and sounds right to me. That is
because I have an unfailing sense of what is correct. If it doesn't pass MY
test, then it is wrong.

You need to find and show me a use of the word as you used it in a literary
text of some standing in order to convince me otherwise. Maybe something
from Charles Dickens or Anthony Trollope?

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old February 13th 05, 11:26 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 20:36:22 -0600, "Edward Dolan"
wrote in message :

So you say. But I am disinclined to take your word for it - after
all, you made a couple of childish grammatical errors in your grammar
flame, so clearly you are not the authority you believe yourself to
be.

I do not believe I have ever made a grammatical error in my life.

Message ID "like how" instead
of "as" and "life time" instead of lifetime.