The Butt and Foot Connection

Old September 1st 03, 06:51 AM
Sticker Jim

Default The Butt and Foot Connection

I had, and occaisionally still have, the same hot foot and/or numbness
problem on my trike. I don't use anything but ordinary pedals and running
shoes because I like the calf pump I get while riding and I needed some calf
strengthening anyway. My solution involved slowly lowering the seat back
and moving the seat forward a little (to compensate for the increased seat
angle) til I was at a comfortable leg length again. It would appear that
with more weight on my back, the nerve/circulation issues with my feet are
sorting themselves out. For me, it seemed to be a butt problem and not feet
positioning or spinning.

"Dave Harney" wrote in message
As some of you may know from previous posts, I'm battling foot numbness on
my new Volae. I'm working with suggestions from this newsgroup, making

some
progress, but still have a ways to go.

I was talking with a guy who works as a physical therapist and he

mentioned
that most of the foot numbness problems he has seen are caused by pinched
nerves in the butt or back. He is not a cyclist, so we did not pursue my
specifics very far, but he did say the usual clue to a pinched nerve is
general numbness in the foot as opposed to an isolated spot between a

couple
of toes. Both of my feet will eventually turn to lumps of non-feeling

wood
if don't take some remedial action.

Has anyone else concluded that the problem is more in the butt area and

less
to due with cleat position, spinning style, et? Does this theory explain
why the problem (at least for me) is much worse on a bent than on a DF?