Who had more will to win?

Old June 22nd 08, 01:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

Default Who had more will to win?

In article ,
"Paul G." wrote:

On Jun 20, 9:59*pm, Howard Kveck wrote:
In article
,
*Robert Chung wrote:

The Gremlin was so bad it made both the Pinto and the Vega look good.

* *Vegas were crap. The engine had cylinder liners that were pressed into
the block at the bottom, with the top floating and held in place by the head.
Bad idea.

No, even worse- aluminum block, no sleeves, and a cast iron head:
"Vega engines become infamous for their lack of durability which was
often associated with their use of weight-saving aluminum cylinder
blocks with cast iron heads. These blocks did not have iron cylinder
sleeves. Instead, a wear surface was created on the aluminum cylinder
bores using the Nikasil coating process."

Very odd that they made the block aluminum, but not the head.

Oh, you're right. I forgot that the cylinders were part of the block and the
reason the tops were floating: the blocks were die cast. They couldn't put a deck on
it because of that. The cast iron head was another contributor to the problems, as it
had a different rate of expansion than the block. These two things allowed the
cylinders to move around enough to wreck the head gasket and cause leaks. The lack of
a low coolant level sensor didn't help matters much either. The head on the Cosworth
version of the Vega did have an aluminum head and was pretty cool.

--
tanx,
Howard

The bloody pubs are bloody dull
The bloody clubs are bloody full
Of bloody girls and bloody guys
With bloody murder in their eyes

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old June 22nd 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz[_2_]

Howard Kveck wrote:
On the other hand, I see Pintos on the road every day. Not more than one a day, but
still, they're on the road because they're close to bullet proof. I'm not saying I'd
own one, mind you.

There are people that own Weinmann Concave rims and think
they're great because they're bullet proof.

Bob Schwartz
Old June 23rd 08, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Jun 22, 3:52 pm, Bob Schwartz
wrote:

There are people that own Weinmann Concave rims and think
they're great because they're bullet proof.

You're such a pragmatist, Ruppert. I'm sure that you wouldn't
hesitate to take your dog outside and shoot him at the first sign of
aging. I'm emotionally attached to the rim, what can I say? I've
named my _one_ Weinmann Concave rim after you - Schwartz Kitzler. ~

Old June 23rd 08, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

In article ,
Bob Schwartz wrote:

Howard Kveck wrote:
On the other hand, I see Pintos on the road every day. Not more than one a
day, but
still, they're on the road because they're close to bullet proof. I'm not
saying I'd
own one, mind you.

There are people that own Weinmann Concave rims and think
they're great because they're bullet proof.

I imagine there are a few freakazoids who think that Pintos are great but the
majority of those driving them do so because of circumstances beyond their control,
like being dirt poor and needing a car that starts every day.

I offer no such rationale for Weinmann Concave owners...

Old June 23rd 08, 10:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Bob Schwartz wrote:
There are people that own Weinmann Concave rims and think they're great
because they're bullet proof.

They're popular in Iraq. Having a wheel you can take cover can be
important in some areas, although not the areas McCain and the
covering gunships visit.