Road to perdition. Over cyclists.

Old July 19th 10, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Price

Default Road to perdition. Over cyclists.

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 12:06:36 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Some years back, I watched a guy in a car intentionally run a
cyclist into the curb - and knock him off the bike onto the
sidewalk.

Bottom Line: followed the car, flagged down a cop, the driver got
off without even a ticket.

I'm glad I don't live in your country.
Old July 19th 10, 10:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

we're glad you don't live in our country
Old July 20th 10, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On Jul 20, 2:04*am, Andre Jute wrote and James
took out of context:

"aggravated battery with a deadly weapon" are given probation, with
one getting 10 days in jail presumably for being drunk as well as
trying to kill someone.

The moral of the story is to beware of aggravated batteries,
especially if they're carrying deadly weapons as opposed to the less
deadly ones, like a comfy chair. Obviously we should curb the
drinking habits of batteries as well. Too much alcohol in your
battery has got to be a bad thing. No wonder the battery tried to
kill someone.

JS.
Old July 20th 10, 12:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On Jul 20, 2:06*am, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per AMuzi:

You can never make up wilder stories than the morning papers

http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...lk-new-brotman...

Some years back, I watched a guy in a car intentionally run a
cyclist into the curb - and knock him off the bike onto the
sidewalk.

Bottom Line: followed the car, flagged down a cop, the driver got
off without even a ticket.

Not so long ago I heard a fellow cyclist report that after a verbal
disagreement with a motorist, the small group he was riding with got
going again, only to have the motorist hit him from behind. He went
over the top of the car but was mostly uninjured. The bicycle was
worse off. Thankfully the motorist did this right in front of an
unmarked police car. In the chase the perpetrator ran his car into a
power pole. That stopped him. He got charged too. Sometimes the bad
guy gets caught.

JS.
Old July 20th 10, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On Jul 20, 3:20*am, kolldata wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...le+repair&aq=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxfzm9dfqBw

So who want to claim to being "Bicycle Repair Man" ?

JS.
Old July 20th 10, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
AMuzi wrote:

You can never make up wilder stories than the morning papers

http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...9,0,127.column

As I have written in detail before,
probation is not a slap on the wrist.
Violation of probation means jail time.
It is easy to violate terms of probation.
Are they allowed to drink alcohol?
A felony conviction needs hard work to
live down.

We are used to imagining a hardened
criminal laughing about probation.
Less hardened criminals find probation eye opening.

--
Michael Press
Old July 20th 10, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Michael Press wrote:
:In article ,

:
: http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...9,0,127.column

:As I have written in detail before,
robation is not a slap on the wrist.
:Violation of probation means jail time.
:It is easy to violate terms of probation.
:Are they allowed to drink alcohol?
:A felony conviction needs hard work to
:live down.

:We are used to imagining a hardened
:criminal laughing about probation.
:Less hardened criminals find probation eye opening.

Depends entirely on the terms of probation (is it reporting, or not,
do they have to be regularly drug tested, etc), the throughness of the
probation officer's followup, and the original judge, in the event
they got busted for violation. I'm betting that unless they get
arrested for gross stupidity, the probation terms aren't onerous
enough to bother them.

--
sig 32
Old July 20th 10, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
David Scheidt wrote:

Michael Press wrote:
:In article ,
: AMuzi wrote:

[...]

All probationers waive certain Fourth Amendment rights.
The police may enter the probationer's residence
without a warrant, for instance.

--
Michael Press
Old July 20th 10, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Jul 19, 10:34*pm, Michael Press wrote:

All probationers waive certain Fourth Amendment rights.
The police may enter the probationer's residence
without a warrant, for instance.

That may be so. I still think this punishment is far too light for
the offense.

One function of legal penalties is deterrence. But anyone low enough
to think the attacks funny, and worth imitating, probably thinks
probation is no problem.

If these yahoos did some serious jail time, other yahoos would be much
more seriously deterred. And BTW, I'd also advocate a lifetime ban on
driving a car.

- Frank Krygowski
Old July 20th 10, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson[_5_]

Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
David Scheidt wrote:

Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
AMuzi wrote:

[...]

Please use "plain text" when posting to Usenet. Consider yourself on
probation for now.

BS