Speed: LWB vs SWB

Old August 18th 03, 12:24 AM
Tom Blum

Default Speed: LWB vs SWB

Harryo,

Those who love them just don't understand those who don't.

I don't hate the bike, it's just wasn't ideal for me. It also wasn't faster
than the tour easy, for some combination of factors that I never figured
out.

It sits too high to do the 'just drop a hand" trick. The low overall stance
results in low moment of inertia. I have a bit of trouble getting started.

On the high racer, I can easily swing forward and put my feet down. This
lets me look around 'normally'. the higher position results in slower
tipping (higher moment of inertia).

I'm not saying I "just couldn't" ride the thing. I'm saying that since it
wasn't faster than my tour easy clone, why bother.

--
Miles of Smiles,

Tom Blum
Winter Haven, Florida
Homebuilts: SWB
Tour Easy Clone
Speed Machine Clone
High Racer Clone
www.gate.net/~teblum

Old August 18th 03, 09:36 PM
harryo

"Tom Blum" wrote in message ...
Harryo,

Those who love them just don't understand those who don't.

I don't hate the bike, it's just wasn't ideal for me. It also wasn't faster
than the tour easy, for some combination of factors that I never figured
out.

It sits too high to do the 'just drop a hand" trick. The low overall stance
results in low moment of inertia. I have a bit of trouble getting started.

On the high racer, I can easily swing forward and put my feet down. This
lets me look around 'normally'. the higher position results in slower
tipping (higher moment of inertia).

I'm not saying I "just couldn't" ride the thing. I'm saying that since it
wasn't faster than my tour easy clone, why bother.

I do understand that some people just can not be comfortable or mre
efficient on a lowracer. They certainly are not for everyone. I
agree that balance on a lower bike is touchier than a higher bike but
I think almost anyone can get used to it with enough riding time. I
have heard a couple of others speak of disapponintment with the speed
of a Speedmachine. Since I have only ridden one a few blocks, I can't
really comment on it but I am much faster on my Baron than any other
bent I have ridden and as said before, I find the balance for starting
and stopping, the rear vision and overall efficiency better than a
highracer.

Again, my riding time on a highracer is very limited, only a couple of
miles on a Strada, so my opinion could change somewhat with more
riding time on a highracer. My own opinion is that on good roads, and
level to rolling ground, a lowracer has the greatest speed potential.
However, I am certainly intrigued by the highracers and their
potential as a fast, efficient bent for riding all roads, on all types
of terrain and all traffic conditions. In my limited riding time on
the Strada, I also did not care for the tweener(?) handlebars but that
might be a perception that would change with more riding time, too.

Anyone have a highracer they want to loan me for a month so I can see
if I might feel differently after riding some extended milage? I
promise to post my conclusions here for all to see.

Harry Jiles

Old August 20th 03, 01:18 AM
Tom Sherman

Al Kubeluis wrote:

Harry,
I'll swap my Corsa for your Baron for a month if we live within 200
miles or so. I live in Maryland.
My Corsa is standard size. You need to be between about 5'6'' and 6'6''
to fit it. I'm 5'11'' with a 44'' xseam. What size person will your Baron
accommodate?...

Harry lives in the "Great Illinois Corn Desert", as documented in RCN

#68 (March/April 2002, pp. 20-23).

Old August 20th 03, 04:03 AM
harryo

"Al Kubeluis" wrote in message ...
Harry,
I'll swap my Corsa for your Baron for a month if we live within 200
miles or so. I live in Maryland.
My Corsa is standard size. You need to be between about 5'6'' and 6'6''
to fit it. I'm 5'11'' with a 44'' xseam. What size person will your Baron
accommodate?
I agree that you need to ride a bike for a while (500 miles and up)
before you can conclude anything about likes and dislikes. Bike swapping for
a while can be a good way to thoroughly test a bike out.

I appreciate the offer, Al, and I would take you up on it but alas, I
live in Central Illinois, a wee bit more than 200 miles. One really
does have to put some extended mileage on a bike before they can
really formulate a good opinion about it. I agree that bike swapping
is a great way to do this without spending a bunch of time and money
buying and selling different bikes.

Harry