Jr. track program GREAT!

Old March 7th 07, 08:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default Jr. track program GREAT!

The junior track program at Hellyer Park Velodrome (San Jose) is
fantastic... open to anyone 10-15 years old, and the guys running it (Rob
Jensen, Glenn Kubacki, Steven Woo and Andrew Lanier) make sure everyone has
a great time, regardless of their skill levels.

I've been working on my son for a while, trying to get him away from video
games and into riding a bike, and was making pretty slow progress... until I
got him to the track. He loves it. And now he's even got the racing bug.
He's got a long way to go (TV, video games & junk food aren't good for the
body), but this past Sunday, I saw real hope. Why?

Because in the win & out, and somewhat longer event that starts with 6 laps
before getting to the sprints, he worked himself hard enough that he threw
up about halfway through... and kept going. That, in my book, is cool. He's
no longer laughing at Dad's oft-repeated remark "That which doesn't kill
you, makes you stronger." Now he believes.

My wife, of course, thinks we're both crazy.

Life is good.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old March 7th 07, 11:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

On Mar 7, 3:02 am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
[...]

Awesome. Both that there's a program and that your out there
together.
Bill C

Old March 7th 07, 01:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

[...]

Way cool. When I finally have kids, I hope to be as fortunate.

Old March 7th 07, 01:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Banned

On Mar 7, 6:16 am, " wrote:
[...]

Take my advice and buy a bike instead..

Old March 7th 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

On Mar 7, 8:46 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
wrote:

Take my advice and buy a bike instead..- Hide quoted text -

Are we back to the "Cycling causes impotency" thread again? ;-)
If your somewhere reasonably safe, it's really cool to have the kids,
get a trailer that's a little bit too big and set it up as a "nest"
for the kid/s and use it as much as you can.
We set ours up with blankets, pillows, snacks, books, toys, and a
radio/cassette player for music or stories and did picnics, rides,
back and forth to school, shopping, you name it with it.
Got a pretty decent hybrid with a triple, slightly agressive tires so
we could go off-road too and had a blast with it. It also converted as
a stroller you could run with too.
The kids absolutely loved it, it was practical, it left the car home,
and it got the family more good time together. That was some of the
most fun I've ever had on a bike, and gets cycling started early, in a
positive way for the kids.
It does point out the passing years though when those same kids just
leave you for dead on every little hill on their own bikes later
though. Nothing like having to beg your kid to wait for you at the
top!!
Bill C

Old March 7th 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

Are we back to the "Cycling causes impotency" thread again? ;-)
If your somewhere reasonably safe, it's really cool to have the kids,
get a trailer that's a little bit too big and set it up as a "nest"
for the kid/s and use it as much as you can.
We set ours up with blankets, pillows, snacks, books, toys, and a
radio/cassette player for music or stories and did picnics, rides,
back and forth to school, shopping, you name it with it.
Got a pretty decent hybrid with a triple, slightly agressive tires so
we could go off-road too and had a blast with it. It also converted as
a stroller you could run with too.
The kids absolutely loved it, it was practical, it left the car home,
and it got the family more good time together. That was some of the
most fun I've ever had on a bike, and gets cycling started early, in a
positive way for the kids.

I remember using that setup to get my daughter to day care. She'd be in the
back, cracking the whip as it were, by yelling "go Daddy GO! go Daddy GO!"

You can do surprisingly well with one of those rigs, once you can accept
what I call "Mule mode" and just hunker down. You can even climb reasonably
well, although at a much lower speed. Took about two weeks to really get
used to it, if I recall correctly. Unfortunately, it did *not* get my
daughter interested in cycling at a young age. She didn't even get off
training wheels until she was 8, and was shamed into it by a friend who was
having a birthday party where they were all going to ride bikes the three
blocks from the house to a park. My son was off training wheels at 3 1/2.

It does point out the passing years though when those same kids just
leave you for dead on every little hill on their own bikes later
though. Nothing like having to beg your kid to wait for you at the
top!!
Bill C

Right now I'm living for that day. Ironically, as I spend more time on the
bike with my son, that day will come sooner, not later, because I'm not
getting in the type of riding I normally would. No more AltoVelo A rides,
sniff. But in a couple years, I'd love to take him to France to see the
'Tour.

Old March 7th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike G

In article ,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

[...]

If he likes the Win-And-Out -- probably the most demoralizing,
anticlimactic and (IMHO) stupid event in track racing -- then he must
really be hooked.

Now, the MISS-AND-OUT -- that's an EVENT!!!

Mike G.
velodrome.com
-
Old March 7th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

"Mike G" wrote in message

If he likes the Win-And-Out -- probably the most demoralizing,
anticlimactic and (IMHO) stupid event in track racing

aka the Miss-And-Die

Old March 7th 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Banned

wrote:

[...]

Not what I meant at all. Cycling aside, kids are their own special
problems..."parents are the stone that children cut their teeth
on"...hardest job there is.

Old March 7th 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Casey Kerrigan

In article , Mike
G wrote:

In article ,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

[...]

Hey I like win and Outs. I like reverse Win and Outs even better
though. A reverse win and out is where the first sprint if for 5th
place, the second sprint is for 4th place and the final sprint is for
1st. Needless to say the best riders don't go for the first few
sprints. This gives riders who normally don;t have a chance to place in
a regular sprint the chance to win a sprint. Of course if you have 4
good sprinters they all cant win the final sprint for 1st so it becomes
a game of how confident ae you in your ability to beat the remaining
riders since you could be the best sprinter but end up not placing at
all if you don't win that final sprint.