cutting the Time VXRS seat-post? integrated design...

Old June 14th 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default cutting the Time VXRS seat-post? integrated design...

On Jun 13, 7:21 pm, "Paul G." wrote:
On Jun 13, 3:27 pm, "
wrote:

On Jun 13, 1:02 pm, wrote:

On Jun 13, 8:50 pm, walter wrote:

so i'm checking out one of those time carbon bikes w/ the integrated
seatmast.

the included seatpin is about 12"/30cm long and says in big letters:
DO NOT CUT.

that seems surprising to me...if the benefit of an integrated design
is supposedly lighter weight, then why cant you cut the length of the
inner seat-pin to minimize the total weight? i'd think all you would
need is 3-4cm of seatpin inserted inside of the mast...but this DO NOT
CUT limitation means you've got about a foot of seatpin material
inside of the extended seatmast.

anyone have any info on what the deal is w/ cutting the seatpin w/
time's integrated seatmast designs?

In my opinion, the best integrated seatpost design is Look's E-post.
In particular, the other systems, including Time's won't allow you to
pack the bike in a box. Check it out on Look's website.

In my opinion, nobody should use an integrated seatpost
design unless they're being paid/sponsored to ride the
bike, and even then it's questionable. Fat Masters should
not use an integrated seatpost design even if they are
being sponsored. In part this is because the possible
advantage or aero benefit is of no use to Fat Masters, and
in part it's to keep me from havin to listen to hem yakking
about their integrated aero seatmasts at the coffee shop.

So right. Jesus Christ, these new fangled bikes seem like science
fiction to an old timer like me, though I still can't grok THROWING
them. Regular seatposts were good enough for Eddy, so they're good
enough for me.
-Paul

People like you are killing the economy.

tf
Old June 14th 08, 05:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul G.

On Jun 13, 6:27 pm, wrote:
On Jun 14, 3:21 am, "Paul G." wrote:

On Jun 13, 3:27 pm, "
wrote:

On Jun 13, 1:02 pm, wrote:

On Jun 13, 8:50 pm, walter wrote:

[...]

http://www.wolhauser.com/cxm.jpg

-ilan

AaiiiEEE! Et tu, Eddy?
-Paul
Old June 14th 08, 06:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul G.

On Jun 13, 8:51 pm, wrote:
On Jun 13, 7:21 pm, "Paul G." wrote:

On Jun 13, 3:27 pm, "

Old June 14th 08, 06:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul G.

On Jun 13, 10:00 pm, "Paul G." wrote:
On Jun 13, 8:51 pm, wrote:

On Jun 13, 7:21 pm, "Paul G." wrote:

So right. Jesus Christ, these new fangled bikes seem like science
fiction to an old timer like me, though I still can't grok THROWING
them. Regular seatposts were good enough for Eddy, so they're good
enough for me.
-Paul

People like you are killing the economy.

tf

I think gas prices are doing that. Sure glad I'm not driving hundreds
of miles to races every weekend like I did back in the day.
-Paul

Old June 14th 08, 06:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
wrote:

On Jun 14, 12:27*am, "
wrote:
On Jun 13, 1:02*pm, wrote:

On Jun 13, 8:50 pm, walter wrote:

[...]

They should just start putting warning stickers on
bikes: "CAUTION MAY EXPLODE IF YOU LOOK
AT IT WRONG" to discourage all you people who
aren't certified bicycle engineers from cutting bits
off your marvels of modern technology.

Ben

Actually, the Look integrated seatpost is more reliable than a regular
post, if the clamp loosens or breaks, then the post cannot fall into
the seat tube. I talked directly to their rep here in France and he
said that they were required by EU law to keep spare parts for it for
at least 5 years (assuming the company lasts that long, of course).
You also have quite a margin of adjustment, about 4cm with a minimum
of 1mm spacers, which means you only have to cut the post once, and it
probably won't have to be recut if you sell the bike (as I wrote
previously, a Paris bike shop told me that this was not the case and
that you could never readjust saddle height without recutting the
frame, the rep was not pleased when I told him about this). This is
not true for any of the other brands, as far as I know. Also, the
extra stiffness from integrated seat post can be counteracted by the
use of elastomer spacers.

-ilan

And the spare E Posts are readily available!

http://www.glorycycles.com/loepor5se.html

$350 !?!? None of my frames cost that much. And I bought my CX frame new.

Old June 14th 08, 06:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Robert Chung

On Jun 13, 10:48 pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

And the spare E Posts are readily available!

http://www.glorycycles.com/loepor5se.html

$350 !?!? None of my frames cost that much. And I bought my CX frame new.

The product code is "loser".
Old June 14th 08, 07:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

In article ,
Robert Chung wrote:

On Jun 13, 10:48 pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

And the spare E Posts are readily available!

http://www.glorycycles.com/loepor5se.html

$350 !?!? None of my frames cost that much. And I bought my CX frame new.

The product code is "loser".

Wouldn't that be the purchaser code?

--
tanx,
Howard

The bloody pubs are bloody dull
The bloody clubs are bloody full
Of bloody girls and bloody guys
With bloody murder in their eyes

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old June 14th 08, 07:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Amit Ghosh

On Jun 13, 6:27 pm, "

In my opinion, nobody should use an integrated seatpost
design

dumbass,

the impracticality of this (cutting your frame to set the seat height)
is a big part of the appeal.

it is the bike equivalent of a high maintainence girlfriend.
Old June 14th 08, 09:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 18:27:04 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Regular seatposts were good enough for Eddy, so they're good
enough for me.

http://www.wolhauser.com/cxm.jpg

Hahaha

Old June 14th 08, 09:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 18:38:41 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Regular seatposts were good enough for Eddy, so they're good
enough for me.
-Paul

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:E...RecordBike.jpg

http://www.cyclingnews.com/sponsors/...ears/?id=pics/
EddyHourRecord

Not sure if these are actually the same bike, but though
drilled handlebars may have been good enough for
Eddy, they are not good enough for me. Although I note
he doesn't seem to have had the seatpost drilled.

Hahaha. Haha.