Expert advice- touring

Old August 13th 04, 01:14 AM
Dave Barton

Default Expert advice- touring

Thanks. all. Keep the opinions coming! I have a line on a used Rocket, and
am also considering the Maxarya Ray-1 ( maxarya.com) I did tour with the
old r-40, but was always wiping out on gravel shoulders!!
Thanks again!!

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Cletus Lee wrote:

I have a love/hate, hot/cold relationship with my P-38. It presents

lots of negatives, but there
probably is not a better suited all around recumbent made. It is fast.

It out climbs most
recumbents. It can be a little pack mule. And with the Voyager option,

it is the only touring bike
that can do long distance tours and still fly free on a US airline.

The Boulder Galaxy [1] (and its near twin, the Angletech Altitude) are
reportedly fine touring bike, and should fold down into airline size
case. S&S couplers are also available from certain dealers on bikes such
as the RANS Rocket that would allow then to be packed down to a
sufficiently small size (if the Angletech hinge is added to the RANS

seat).

[1] http://www.boulderbikes.com/galaxy.htm.

--
Tom Sherman - Quad City Area

Old August 13th 04, 02:16 AM
Mark Leuck

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

Forget about SWB. Go to LWB and don't look back. Almost any LWB will be

far
superior to any SWB. SWB is for sport riding. LWB is for serious touring.
Thus spake Zarathustra!

You should have converted your Vision R-40 to LWB and you would have had a
very fine touring bike.

That is garbage, I've toured with my SWB Vision R-50 with no problems at
all, either SWB or LWB will work fine

Old August 13th 04, 02:16 AM
Mark Leuck

"Cletus Lee" wrote in message
T...
In article , Howard

bishop(1199bitshifleft1)
@yazhooz.com says...
Under no circumstances would I consider a P-38 as this would only
encourage Cletus! (it's a JOKE!).

I have a love/hate, hot/cold relationship with my P-38. It presents lots

of negatives, but there
probably is not a better suited all around recumbent made. It is fast. It

out climbs most
recumbents. It can be a little pack mule. And with the Voyager option, it

is the only touring bike
that can do long distance tours and still fly free on a US airline.

What is the part about it you hate?

Old August 13th 04, 03:21 AM
Tom Sherman

Edward Dolan wrote:

Good Grief! Why tour on a SWB when there are perfectly good LWB's available.
The Giro has a very high BB which is a complication for touring. The Easy
Racers Tour Easy is by no means a perfect touring recumbent, but it is far
superior to any SWB, and that includes the fabled P-38 Lightning too. If you
are carrying a load, then it is just fine to have it all on the rear rack
with a LWB. If you want more "balance" then a front rack will work on a LWB.
Length matters on a recumbent. The only thing against a LWB is the size,
mainly for transportation issues.

Some people prefer a greater seat recline to prevent recumbent butt.
This requires a higher bottom bracket to prevent a too open hip angle
that affects climbing negatively.

Greater seat recline on a LWB will result in excessive tiller unless a
remote steering linkage is used.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Old August 13th 04, 06:47 AM
Edward Dolan

"Mark Leuck" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

Forget about SWB. Go to LWB and don't look back. Almost any LWB will be

far
superior to any SWB. SWB is for sport riding. LWB is for serious

touring.
Thus spake Zarathustra!

You should have converted your Vision R-40 to LWB and you would have had

very fine touring bike.

That is garbage, I've toured with my SWB Vision R-50 with no problems at
all, either SWB or LWB will work fine

But LWB will work better! But hey, if you want to listen to a jerk who does
not put periods at the end of his sentences, be my guest.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old August 13th 04, 07:02 AM
Edward Dolan

Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]

All of the above is only too true. The RANS V2 , a LWB, gives you the higher
BB thereby increasing comfort, but with tiller - and a high BB can sometimes
be a complication effecting control in tight situations.

I do enjoy SWB, but only for a few hours at best, after which they become
tedious and aggravating. For extended touring I prefer a LWB that does not
require so much input.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old August 13th 04, 07:14 AM
Edward Dolan

"Cletus Lee" wrote in message
T...
In article , Howard

bishop(1199bitshifleft1)
@yazhooz.com says...
Under no circumstances would I consider a P-38 as this would only
encourage Cletus! (it's a JOKE!).

I have a love/hate, hot/cold relationship with my P-38. It presents lots

of negatives, but there
probably is not a better suited all around recumbent made. It is fast. It

out climbs most
recumbents. It can be a little pack mule. And with the Voyager option, it

is the only touring bike
that can do long distance tours and still fly free on a US airline.

Yeah, but if you are flying around the country and the world taking your
bike with you, maybe it is time to rethink what it is that you are doing in
the first place. I think if I were flying off to Europe for instance I would
not want to be encumbered with a bike. I can tour with a bike here at home
and I do not ever need to go near an airport either. I just hop on the bike
and go. Simple!

Is that really the best use of your time and energy to be riding a bike in
Europe?

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old August 13th 04, 07:24 AM
Edward Dolan

"Mark Leuck" wrote in message

"Cletus Lee" wrote in message
T...
In article , Howard

bishop(1199bitshifleft1)
@yazhooz.com says...
Under no circumstances would I consider a P-38 as this would only
encourage Cletus! (it's a JOKE!).

I have a love/hate, hot/cold relationship with my P-38. It presents

lots
of negatives, but there
probably is not a better suited all around recumbent made. It is fast.

It
out climbs most
recumbents. It can be a little pack mule. And with the Voyager option,

it
is the only touring bike
that can do long distance tours and still fly free on a US airline.

What is the part about it you hate?

Mark Leuck only eschews periods at the end of his sentences. Apparently,
question marks are OK with him. I guess he figures that if there is not a
question mark at the end of a question, that no one will not bother giving
him an answer. And he is quite right about that - at least I would never
bother answering a question if I did not see a question mark. But even
though Mark likes that particular punctuation, he remains adamant in his
refusal to use the lowly, but important, period.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old August 13th 04, 05:10 PM
Edward Dolan

"Mark Leuck" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

Mark Leuck only eschews periods at the end of his sentences. Apparently,
question marks are OK with him. I guess he figures that if there is not

question mark at the end of a question, that no one will bother giving
him an answer. And he is quite right about that - at least I would never
bother answering a question if I did not see a question mark. But even
though Mark likes that particular punctuation, he remains adamant in his
refusal to use the lowly, but important, period.

Seek help

Why don't you get your head screwed on straight and use periods at the end
of your sentences like everyone else in the world - you screwball!

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Advice requested for touring bike purchase. Gene Titus Recumbent Biking 11 May 13th 04 04:09 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Expert advice needed, Schwinn '80 restoration Dan Brussee Techniques 0 July 9th 03 04:34 PM
Advice for touring tyre 26" wanted.. Ian Recumbent Biking 18 July 3rd 03 06:43 AM