drunk driver sentenced for killing cyclist

Old October 5th 04, 05:29 AM
Tom Sherman

Frank Olson wrote:

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message

Frank Olson wrote:

A couple of friends recently opened a custom bike shop. They weld their
own frames and all their bikes are single speed. In fact (as I've also
recently discovered) there are a lot of people out there that live and
breath "single speed"....

Are these single-speed freewheeling bicycles or single-speed fixed gear
bicycles ("fixies")?

Are you kidding?? I'll have to ask.

(The two groups have the same feelings for each other as Cessna and Piper
owners have when discussing whether high wings or low wings are better).

I'll bet... another "buff"... :-))

I used to pump gas, wash airplanes, etc.

If I were rich, I would settle the argument by getting a Beechcraft
Staggerwing.

--
Tom Sherman - Curmudgeon and Pedant

Old October 5th 04, 06:11 AM
Frank Olson

Frank Olson wrote:

A couple of friends recently opened a custom bike shop. They weld their
own frames and all their bikes are single speed. In fact (as I've also
recently discovered) there are a lot of people out there that live and
breath "single speed"....

Are these single-speed freewheeling bicycles or single-speed fixed gear
bicycles ("fixies")?

Are you kidding?? I'll have to ask.

(The two groups have the same feelings for each other as Cessna and Piper
owners have when discussing whether high wings or low wings are better).

I'll bet... another "buff"... :-))

I used to pump gas, wash airplanes, etc.

If I were rich, I would settle the argument by getting a Beechcraft
Staggerwing.

Now you've got me drooling all over my keyboard... *That* is a honey of an
airplane.

Old October 5th 04, 08:47 AM
Group Moderator

Subject: drunk driver sentenced for killing cyclist
From: G. Morgan
Date: 10/3/2004 2:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time
Someone named "MLB" Proclaimed on Sun, 3 Oct 2004
13:50:53 -0500,

alt.cesspool.alarms? Google shows you made over 27,000 posts to what you
call alt.cesspool.alarms. You seem to have made more than your fair share
of contributions to that particular cesspool.

He's the one that made it a cesspool.

He was banned (shunned) from the student pilot newsgroup.

-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

Mike said:
Look how the aviation group loved Robert L Goofy Bass.

RLB was known as BoBo & Scud in Aviation NG

Aviation Student **** List

Subject: GM more for the 'list'
From: "Jacob Ashbury"

Date: 6/5/2002 9:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time
This is old - they don't go above the current guys, O.K.?
Jake-

Aviation Student wrote in article
01bda0fc$972aa8c0$4be7869f@default...

Join us in ignoring Robert L. Bass .
He has:
- posted erroneous and misleading advice,
- repeatedly made false accusations against others,
- attempted to have those who disagree with him disciplined in
their workplace,
- threatened the property of those who disagree with him,
- repeatedly cancelled the postings of others, and
- attempted to "mail bomb" both individuals and this newsgroup.
His actions have been very destructive to this newsgroup, and
are not socially acceptable. He has expressed the conviction that
his actions are right.

We the undersigned join in a rec.aviation ignoring of Mr Bass.
We will not reply to any posting Mr Bass makes as any response
at all only seems to encourage him. We request all others to
do likewise.

To add your name to ours and indicate your support for this course
of action, reply by e-mail to ". Email may
not be answered. Please do not respond to this message.

Rich Ahrens
Chris Anderson
John Ammeter
Robert Barker
Jon Barry
Dave Barnhardt
Robert P Bass
Charles Black
Mark Burkley
Rod Cadanau
Don Campbell
Michael D. Casey
Bob Chilcoat
John Clarke
Tom Cooper
Christopher Corder
Sheron Cunniff
Rod Farlee
WendyBG (Farlee)
Joseph Feld
Thomas Fitzgerald
John Galban
Mark J Grueninger
Daniel Grunloh
Rick Hake
Roger Halstead
Warren Hecksel
Sydney Hoeltzli
Dan Hoyte
Richard Ilfield
Carl A. Johansson
John R. Johnson
Rick Hake
Suzanne King
Wessel Kooyman
Ric and Shari Lee
Ray Leonard
John Lowry
Mike Kelley
Sue Kramer
Frank Maier
Don Meyer
Jeff Morris
David E. Munday
John Neidart
Martina O'Donoghue
John Ousterhaut
Bill Phillips
Colin Rasmussen
Del Rawlins
Bob Reed
Sam Rios
Kelly Rhodes
Bill Robie
John Rourke
Bill Shellenberger
Jerry Springer
Jeffry Stetson
General Stark (Marty)
John Stricker
See-Mong Tan
Dwight Taylor
William Thelen
John Theure
Jared Thomas
Paul Tidball
Tracy Thompson
James Thursby
Kib Tyler
Bob Urban
Rick Wagner
Gene Whitt

Mike, Sr.
33 Years in the trade
http://www.AlarmServicesInc.com

http://www.AlarmSuperStore.com
"Your One Stop Alarm Shop"
Free Shipping on orders of $100.00 - all others just $5.95
See site for details
Old October 5th 04, 09:15 AM
Group Moderator

From: "Robert L. Bass"
Date: 10/3/2004 10:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time
Google shows you made over 27,000 posts ...

That's an understatement. Due to changes in ISP -- @Home, Comcast, etc --
you're only seeing something like 1/2 to 1/3. The vast majority of my posts
are tech support or discussions of matters related to alarm company ethics.
I regularly get calls from people who have decided to shop my online store
because of the help I give to DIYers. This infuriates the ASA Taliban.

Mike Said:
This guy shopped at his store and l@@k what happened with his credit card.

Consumer: Beware BassHome.com"

From
his (Brian Karas)

Well, I said I wouldn't respond to your continued misunderstanding of MIME and
VCards, and I don't intend to
address that here, but you make a couple of statements that really irked me,
the biggest concern is the last comments
you made...

As I've pointed out before, you alone have swayed my opinion of you. If you
search through DejaNews to about 12-15months
ago you'll find a post in comp.home.automation where I publicly and strongly
defended you when someone else called one
of your PR: type posts spam. I've disagreed with you, and made mention that
you have a thin understanding of the
Internet and Usenet, but I've also said publicly that I believe you are very
intelligent in your trade.
Recently a topic or two has come up in misc.homeowners about alarm systems, and
I've referred one or two people to
your website. If you call my disagreement with you abuse or slander, so be it.

Go answer your e-mails that people constantly complain about you not answering.
Or fix your e-mail system, you seem
to have plenty of time and technology to keep up with Usenet posts. I'll give
you a hint, the people e-mailing you
_WANT_ to hear your opinion...
You find my public posting of you disagreeable, and I'll admit that I
sometimes, or even often, may take a strong
stance against your opinions. I may be completely blind to your side, but I
haven't considered any of my posts
unsubstantiated attacks on you. I have sided against you, and tried to give
relevant data to back up my arguments,
perhaps I could have been more eloquent. Had I been just some guy making
random slanderous attacks on you,
I might understand why you'd simply delete any mail with my name on it,
however, you did not see fit to delete the
orders I've placed through your website?

Yes, for those still following along I've ordered about $500 worth of
components from Robert in the last few months.
I'm a telecommunications geek by trade, and an Automation and cabling
installer alongside my 'day job' I've
recently begun to pursue alarm systems as a branch of my private business. My
biggest alarm installs have been
assisting others, and/or my own house. When I had to buy some products
recently I went to
http://www.Basshome.com,
not because of price, not because Robert is my best friend, but because
despite my disagreement with him I felt he
had an efficient online store and I wanted to 'reward' his efforts with my
business. I could have gone to
any number of local places and received identical equipment at competitive
prices, but I didn't.

After ordering some Napco equipment, I had some questions about the automation
and X-10 add-ons, basically I wanted
to know the differences between them, etc., as his website didn't really
clarify this. So, I sent him an e-mail,
which as I mentioned, and he confirmed went unanswered.

So Robert, your overall stance seems to be that you will help any DIY'er so
long as they _publicly_ agree with you.
However, should someone do a moderate amount of business with you and later
disagree with you, all support is cut off,
eh?

This is what your actions and words state, and I caution anyone who orders
from you that you have a strange way of
doing business.

This would almost seem like a complete story, but there is a bit more to
it...

When I buy things via the Internet I use a debit card as a credit card, as a
small security measure, should the
number fall into the wrong hands I can easily minimize my loses and cancel the
card without disrupting the rest
of my finances, however it's sometimes a less than perfect way to transact
business. During a a recent order
with Bass for about $380 there was some difficulty in processing the card.
There was more than enough funds in
my account, but the bank didn't authorize the card on the first try. Robert
(and/or his wife) e-mailed me directly
with questions/concerns about the card. After verifying my address the order
still wouldn't go through, so his wife
resorted to calling me on the phone to clear things up, which we did. This
process probably took about 4 days to a
week and resulted in about 4 e-mails back and forth and a couple of voice
mails. During this time Robert had to be
more than aware of who I was, as I had posted other 'nasty' public
disagreements with him, but no mention was
made in the e-mails or phone calls that he would provide no support after the
sale.

I hope this message serves to warn some of those who might consider giving him
some business, or otherwise putting
their faith or trust in him...

Robert has also publicly stated that he doesn't take things too seriously, and
is quick to make amends, however
I'd have to doubt this...

Robert, I'm sure my $500 didn't buy you an Armani suit, or allow your family
to take a tropical vacation, but perhaps
you should state somewhere on your webpage that you only support those who
support _you_ with words rather than dollars.

I do apologize to all the others that have had to sift through these constant
small wars and battles

Brian@ 'at' @Karas. 'dot' .com.
Return address munged to prevent SPAM...
SOHO DataComm wiring, FAQ's, etc:
http://www.PhysicalLayer.com

Old October 5th 04, 09:16 AM
Group Moderator

From: "Robert L. Bass"
Date: 10/3/2004 10:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time
Google shows you made over 27,000 posts ...

That's an understatement. Due to changes in ISP -- @Home, Comcast, etc --
you're only seeing something like 1/2 to 1/3. The vast majority of my posts
are tech support or discussions of matters related to alarm company ethics.
I regularly get calls from people who have decided to shop my online store
because of the help I give to DIYers. This infuriates the ASA Taliban.

Mike Said:
Here is another that shopped at Basshome.com - Bassburglarms.com

Another Unhappy BassHome.com Customer

Subject: I give up on Robert Bass
From: "Scott MacLean"

Date: 12/29/2000 1:07 AM Eastern Standard Time

I placed an order on November 9 on the BassHome.com web site, for the PC
interface for my alarm system (DSC 5010). I got a message from
confirming the order, with UPS ground shipping included
(5-7 days). My credit card statement showed the charge by Bass Home Electronics
on November 10.

On December 3rd, just over 3 weeks after placing my order, I sent an email to
asking when I could expect the interface to arrive.I
received an email back telling me that the
email address
was invalid.

I then sent a message on December 4th to
asking about the
order. I received no reply. I sent another message on December 7th, again to
. Again, I received no reply. I posted an email to this
group on December 10th. Robert telephoned me the same day, apologizing that his
email was not working, and said that there had been a problem with the
distributor, and that the item would be shipped the next day. On December 27th,
2 1/2 weeks later, I still hadn't received anything. I

emailed Robert again. No response. I emailed him again on the 28th. Again, no
response.It's now the 29th. It has been over 7 weeks since I placed this order.
I give up. I've called my credit card company to reverse the charge.Sorry
Robert, you had your chance. No emails, no phone calls, no explanations, no
response to my emails. I'll take my business elsewhere.

******************END******************

Old October 7th 04, 02:11 PM
Frank Olson

"Robert L. Bass" wrote in message
The FAA's database is often fouled-up, thanks
in no small part to the medical certificate issue.
A pilot might indeed hold an Airman's Certificate,
but if the medical forms aren't turned in in a
timely fashion, the database doesn't reflect that,
and the pilot is 'unrecognized' as being a pilot.
I know, it sounds goofy to me too.

I even checked myself, and I'm not listed, either,
even though I hold a PP license which is sitting
snugly in my wallet, and it hasn't been revoked.

Someone else said pretty much the same thing. Not wanting to be mistaken
about this, I called and asked. After waiting on hold and being
transferred
several times I got someone who was willing to check. Olson has no US
license and he never had one.

Not under "Olson".

A pilot I spoke with from Canada checked and
apparently he has no Canadian license either.

Heh...

I didn't personally verify
that but virtually every other thing he has said about himself has turned
out to be a lie so judge for yourself.

You couldn't "personally verify" that you still have toes because you can't
see them.

Note also that this character claims he does commercial fire alarm
installations in and around Vancouver, BC.

Installation, service, *and* maintenance. My company is a subcontractor to
the electrical trade (mostly). We deal in fire alarm, access control, CCTV,
and security systems. Why don't you start phoning all the electrical
contractors in the Lower Mainland? I'm sure one or two of them have heard
of "me" too... When you finally *do* find me, what are ya gonna do??
Forward all the "nasty" comments I've made about you in USENET to my
partner?? Which of my "nasty" comments do you object to?? Everything I say
about you is the truth. You're a liar, a fraud, and a mean spirited little
man that ran afoul of the law a number of years ago. You're unlicensed,
uninsured, and unbonded. You're also way more expensive than your
competitors. Your technical abilities are on a par with with many of the
DIYer's you *try* to help...

He has alluded to working on
major structures there.

No... I don't wear a truss, and don't imagine I ever will.

Since he has repeatedly gone RW with me, including
making harassing calls to my suppliers and false complaints (remember he's
never even met me) to state authorities, I decided to check him out.

Ahhh.... Now it all becomes clear. For the record, I've *never* harassed
Robert's suppliers. I *did* call ADI in Clearwater (and several other
Florida branch locations) to ask them one question: What do you need to
purchase alarm equipment from them? They all responded with "A Florida
License". Robert's name was *never* mentioned and neither was mine. I also
called DSC (an alarm panel manufacturer) to advise them that Robert had made
their downloading software freely available on his website in direct
violation of their EULA (I *did* have to give them his name and mine that
time). As a DSC Dealer I felt it my *obligation* to point out this
infringement. You see, Robert likes to think of himself as a "Dealer", but
he's not. He's a parts pusher who "works" from his house. He's not
licensed to service security systems and it's doubtful he would ever be able
to obtain one considering he's a convicted felon.

spoke to inspectors in almost every burg around Vancouver.

Amazing. I'd be interested to know if you called and left them a message to
call you back or if you actually managed to talk to someone? Every time I
call a municipality it usually takes a day or two for them to get back to me
(the license inspectors are usually *out* inspecting). Why would they call
some twerp in Florida back?? That's long distance!!

No one had ever heard of him.

I wonder why. Could it be for the same reason I'm not listed in the FAA or
MOT database??

He claims to be a major player with loads of experience.

"Claims"?? I've been in the trade since 1984. I'm working on my 21st year
in the business.

I've been in the alarm industry for over 27 years -- 24 of them as an
installing dealer in CT.

Bzzzt!!! Wrong. You could not have been "known" to the licensing
authorities in CT before you obtained your L-5 (which allows you to pull a
permit) in 1989. You got your L-6 in 1983 which only allowed you to
*install* and *service* alarms. An L-6 meant that you still couldn't pull a
permit. In fact, you first came to the notice of the licensing authority
when you got caught installing a system *without* a permit. You opened
your online store in 1996. I figure the wife kicked you out of the family
home (and the "modestly successful central station alarm company" you set up
in your garage) right around that time. You've been posting in USENET since
then and there's no way you could have been "installing" or "servicing"
alarm systems at the same time. That makes 13 years tops (as an installer)
and only six or seven in which you would have been "known" to the local
authorities.

Most folks in the state association, most
distributors and every dealer in my county knew who I was.

Yup. I'm sure...

I checked every
distributor anywhere near Vancouver and the result was the same.

Heh... Robert frequently accuses me of "working for a small distributor in
Vancouver". He admits to phoning *every* distributor in the Lower Mainland,
but didn't find my company... His investigative skills are staggering...

All but
one had never heard of him. One person at one company said he had once
worked there but only briefly. They had no idea where he went from there.

Heh... who?? I've never worked for a main stream distributor anywhere (and
never as "Olson"). I have no idea whom you talked to. And here I thought
Mike (Group Moderator) was the only one that heard "voices in his head"...

This fellow is a pathological liar.

Prove it!!

He's also on a personal vendetta
against yours truly.

Now, Robert... Why would I be "on a personal vendetta" against you?? What
have you done to me??

He has made himself persona non grata in the
automation newsgroups due to his repeated, unprovoked flames.

Heh... right... I've pointed out several errors in your "informative"
I asked you a civil question and received a flame in reply. When you call
someone a liar and offer nothing but opinion to "back up" your claim, expect
that individual to defend himself.

He and the
whacko named Graham Morgan (another nutcase the alarm newsgroup) have no
interest in recumbents.

Aux contraire, mon ami...

Their only purpose in visiting this newsgroup is to
try to harass me.

Nope. I've never posted in this newsgroup until *you* called me a liar.
You flamed me in a group I don't even participate in. You're a *coward*,
Bass. You've been soundly trounced in ASA, CHA and now ARBR. You know
nothing about aviation, very little about security (that you haven't read
about in some manual), and couldn't ride your "bent" beyond the end of your
driveway without having to suck on the oxygen bottle.

My purpose in coming here is to learn and share about
'bents.

You mean there's a manual?? :-))

--
Frank Olson