Ack, Cracked my last one

Old October 9th 04, 03:28 AM
Ground Control

Default Ack, Cracked my last one

I retired my last Sachs PC-51 chain today. Pulled it off the bike for deep
cleaning and found lots of little cracks in the outer plates. Instead I got
out a PC-68, cleaned the packing grease off and installed it. Maybe I'll
get major mileage out of this one too.

---
__o
_`\(,_ Cycling is life,
(_)/ (_) all the rest, just details.
The Nelson Paradigm =^o.o^=
http://intergalax.com
http://intbike.com

Old October 9th 04, 06:33 AM
p e t e f a g e r l i n

Ground Control wrote:
Instead I got
out a PC-68, cleaned the packing grease off and installed it.

Why would anyone do such a thing?

Silliness abounds.
Old October 9th 04, 11:09 AM
JD

p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote in message m...
Ground Control wrote:
Instead I got
out a PC-68, cleaned the packing grease off and installed it.

Why would anyone do such a thing?

To make more work for themselves? I can't see taking lube off of a
chain to lube it again.

Silliness abounds.

I really don't think Nelson rides in the dirt all that much.

JD
Old October 9th 04, 05:16 PM
Michael Dart

"JD" wrote in message
om...
p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote

in message m...
Ground Control wrote:
Instead I got
out a PC-68, cleaned the packing grease off and installed it.

Why would anyone do such a thing?

To make more work for themselves? I can't see taking lube off of a
chain to lube it again.

I can. The packing grease is way to sticky and holds on to grit. I always
start fresh with the lube of my choice.

Mike

Old October 9th 04, 07:09 PM
Nelson @ International Bicycle

"Michael Dart" wrote in message

"JD" wrote in message
om...
p e t e f a g e r l i n

wrote
in message m...
Ground Control wrote:
Instead I got
out a PC-68, cleaned the packing grease off and installed it.

Why would anyone do such a thing?

To make more work for themselves? I can't see taking lube off of a
chain to lube it again.

I can. The packing grease is way to sticky and holds on to grit. I

always
start fresh with the lube of my choice.

Mike

Exactly. Packing grease is meant to protect a chain from humidity and other
environmental issues. It may or may not protect a chain during its intended
use. Cleaning it to bare metal lets me put a lube I *know* does the job and
it keeps it as pure as possible. Besides, it's fun work and when you're
done the chain glistens like jewelry (at least until you get to the
trailhead!)

Nelson ---seeing more and more dirt as his ankle heals.

Old October 9th 04, 07:26 PM
p e t e f a g e r l i n

Nelson @ International Bicycle wrote:
"Michael Dart" wrote in message

"JD" wrote in message
.com...

p e t e f a g e r l i n

wrote

in message m...

Ground Control wrote:

[...]

ROTFLMAO!

Time to educate yourself, once again.

I would suggest that you take a moment away from
playing with your dolls and do a few searches on RBT.

Good luck.

Old October 9th 04, 08:13 PM
Nelson @ International Bicycle

"p e t e f a g e r l i n" wrote
in message ...
Nelson @ International Bicycle wrote:
"Michael Dart" wrote in message

"JD" wrote in message
.com...

p e t e f a g e r l i n

wrote

in message m...

Ground Control wrote:

[...]

Like I care what a few people who claim to be some kind of gurus about bike
knowledge have said in the past. I'm talking about my own bikes and I know
what I like for them to do. I still laugh when I read those holier than
thou snobs chastise people for "Appealing to a higher authority" on some
technical issue when folks are doing exactly that referring to that group.

So, Petey-boy, tell me what lube SRAM uses on their chains. What properties
does the grease possess? How well will it protect my chain from wear? How
well will it shed dirt? I can answer all those questions about my Pro-Link.

If I were using Shimano's chains and if what they coat them is any relation
to the grease they sell, I wouldn't use that stuff to wipe the inside of a
seat tube.

Old October 9th 04, 11:13 PM
R.White

p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote in message m...
Nelson @ International Bicycle wrote:
"Michael Dart" wrote in message

"JD" wrote in message
.com...

p e t e f a g e r l i n

wrote

in message m...

Ground Control wrote:

[...]

His procedure does not damage or have any negative
affect on chainlife, so what's the big deal other than making you
feel like you know something?

I would suggest that you take a moment away from
playing with your dolls and do a few searches on RBT.

Now that's some **** poor advice.

A search there shows that there are just as many who clean off
the original lube and use something else as there are those who
leave it on.
Old October 9th 04, 11:23 PM
Ground Control

"R.White" wrote in message
om...
|p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote
in message m...
| Nelson @ International Bicycle wrote:
| "Michael Dart" wrote in message
|
| "JD" wrote in message
| .com...
|
| p e t e f a g e r l i n
|
| wrote
|
| in message m...
|
| Ground Control wrote:
|
| Instead I got
| out a PC-68, cleaned the packing grease off and installed it.
|
| Why would anyone do such a thing?
|
| To make more work for themselves? I can't see taking lube off of a
| chain to lube it again.
|

| I can. The packing grease is way to sticky and holds on to grit. I
|
| always
|
| start fresh with the lube of my choice.
|
| Mike
|

| Exactly. Packing grease is meant to protect a chain from humidity and
other
| environmental issues. It may or may not protect a chain during its
intended
| use. Cleaning it to bare metal lets me put a lube I *know* does the
job and
| it keeps it as pure as possible. Besides, it's fun work and when
you're
| done the chain glistens like jewelry (at least until you get to the
| trailhead!)
|
| Nelson ---seeing more and more dirt as his ankle heals.
|

| ROTFLMAO!
|
| Time to educate yourself, once again.
|
| His procedure does not damage or have any negative
| affect on chainlife, so what's the big deal other than making you
| feel like you know something?
|
| I would suggest that you take a moment away from
| playing with your dolls and do a few searches on RBT.
|
| Now that's some **** poor advice.
|
| A search there shows that there are just as many who clean off
| the original lube and use something else as there are those who
| leave it on.

This is another one of those debates where neither side is actually wrong.
I had specific reasons for cleaning my chain. I don't normally do this when
I install chains for customers unless they ask for it.

Then too, what if I was applying Pedro's Syn-lube? The directions tell you
to do exactly what I've done.

Petey-boy is also missing the fact that I enjoyed the process of cleaning
and deep-lubing the chain. It was interesting work. May not be if I did it
20 times a week, but hey.

---
__o
_`\(,_ Cycling is life,
(_)/ (_) all the rest, just details.
The Nelson Paradigm =^o.o^=
http://intergalax.com
http://intbike.com

Old October 10th 04, 01:26 AM
Coyoteboy

Im afraid i have to agree with ground control on this one, every chain ive
just 'thrown on' and used has ended up gritted up instantly, sucky and wears
pretty fast. I only ever cleaned a new one once and lobbed on my fave chain
lube to start - ive never thought about it before but that was about the
longest lasting chain ive used. OBviously make and model are important and i
cant remember all of them but ive used from top of the range (when i worked
in a bike shop and got it for trade price) down to the lowest sachs unit so
its a reasonably fair trial IMO.