Segways

Old July 1st 14, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Jeff[_25_]

Default Segways

(Once again) It is treated the same as a bicycle.

Bicycles don't ne registration to ride on the road.

The point that you are missing is that an electric bike is classed as a
motor vehicle under the RTA, the only reason that it is exempt from the
need to be licensed, insured etc is that special regulations have been
put in place exempting them from those requirements, subject to certain
restrictions, such as having pedals, being under a certain weight and
restricted to a certain speed, power output etc..

A Segway would requite similar exemptions to be put in place.

Jeff
Old July 1st 14, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Uncle Peter

On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 08:17:03 +0100, Mrcheerful wrote:

On 30/06/2014 23:42, Nick Finnigan wrote:
On 30/06/2014 22:57, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 22:40:55 +0100, Nick Finnigan
wrote:
(Once again) It is treated the same as a bicycle.

Bicycles don't ne registration to ride on the road.

They do if they can not be propelled using pedals.

A segway has no pedals, so needs to be registered, oh dear it does not
meet UK requirements for a motor vehicle, so it cannot be.

I can run as fast as a segway, therefore a segway must be allowed to go wherever I can run.

--
What's the best thing to get for a woman who has everything?
A man to show her how to work it.
Old July 1st 14, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Tony Dragon

On 30/06/2014 22:56, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 21:53:00 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 30/06/2014 21:19, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 19:32:21 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 30/06/2014 19:13, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 09:59:29 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 30/06/2014 09:31, Uncle Peter wrote:

No it's not! 12.5mph is quite a fair speed on a bicycle.
Approximately
4x faster than an average pedestrians speed.

You have seen a bicycle before haven't you? I have a mountain
bike, and
it goes up to 25mph on a flat road or pavement. People with those
thin
tyred deathtraps can go much much faster.

I have a speedo on my bicycle and I can assure you that 12,5mph is
going
at a fair pace.

BULL****! In fact I followed a bicycle home today and didn't bother
overtaking him as he was going 25mph. On the flat.

You were talking about a Segway only doing 12.5mph on the *pavement*.
12.5 on a pavement IS very fast and obviously extremely dangerous.

As you said to Steve earlier today, only if there is someone on the
pavement. And even if there is, you simply slow down or go round them.
You can run at 12.5mph. Do you call it dangerous to run on the pavement?

What is the speed limit for invalid carriages/scooters on the footway?

---

Old July 1st 14, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Uncle Peter

On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:42:33 +0100, Tony Dragon wrote:

[...]

Something ridiculously low. There shouldn't be one at all, and I'd say it was biassed against the disabled. They're forced by law to use the road (which is very dangerous for an old codger on a mobility scooter) if they have a fast one.

--
An old Irish farmer's dog goes missing and he's inconsolable.
His wife says "Why don't you put an advert in the paper?"
Old July 1st 14, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Tarcap

"Nick Finnigan" wrote in message

On 30/06/2014 21:42, Mrcheerful wrote:

On 30/06/2014 18:02, Nick Finnigan wrote:
On 30/06/2014 17:52, Mrcheerful wrote:

Segways do not satisfy the legal requirements of a motor vehicle in
the UK,
just as minimotos and powered skateboards do not. IF the makers can
re-design them to meet our and eu requirements then they could be
classed

Segways are available which meet those requirements.

You should tell segway, they are unaware of it.

Because the UK distributor is still claiming it is not classified?

That would be because it is not a legal motor vehicle for the UK and will
not become legal unless the laws change, both here and in the EU. If a

What EU law do you believe Germany and the Netherlands are failing to
follow by allowing appropriate Segways on roads with different requirements
to other motor cycles?

Segway were a legal vehicle then DVLA would list them.

They are motor cycles. Some are legal to use on roads.

Do you think these guys are wasting their time, then?

http://www.legalisesegways.co.uk/cms/

Old July 1st 14, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
pcb1962[_4_]

On 30/06/14 22:37, Nick Finnigan wrote:

They are motor cycles. Some are legal to use on roads.

Could you provide a link to some information about these road-legal
Segways please?

Old July 1st 14, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Tony Dragon

wrote:

[...]

Oh dear, why are they forced to use the road, all they have to do is
keep to the limit, simple really.

---

Old July 1st 14, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
MrCheerful

wrote:

[...]

protection is active.

I believe that fast mobility scooters have a user operated switch to
keep the maximum speed to 4 mph for when they are in use on pavements,
their high speed is limited to 8mph.
Old July 1st 14, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
GB[_5_]

On 30/06/2014 20:10, Bod wrote:
On 30/06/2014 19:50, GB wrote:
On 30/06/2014 19:32, Bod wrote:

I have a speedo on my bicycle and I can assure you that 12,5mph is going
at a fair pace.

There's a hill round here where I'm fairly sure cyclists go over 30 mph.
Nice broad, fairly straight road, so it's reasonably safe I guess. By
the way, that's 30mph going downhill. About 5mph (absolute max) going
uphill.

Riding a bicycle at 12.5mph on a pavement is a ridiculous speed to do
and stupidly dangerous, whatever you say.

Oh, I agree. Why would anyone do that?

Segways in shopping centre David Hansen UK 13 November 24th 07 03:09 PM
Why do people always talk about Segways when the see a Unicyclist? Ducttape Unicycling 10 June 12th 06 10:54 PM
Segways Bill Baka General 2 October 6th 05 12:09 AM
6000 Segways recalled Orienteer UK 4 September 29th 03 03:30 PM