Don't hold up traffic

Old May 11th 12, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Default Don't hold up traffic

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co....ail/story.html

Old May 12th 12, 07:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Default Edinburgh police warn more than 100 motorists for encroaching onAdvanced Stop Lines

About time too.

QUOTE:
Police in Edinburgh have warned more than 100 motorists for
encroaching on Advanced Stop Lines (ASLs) designed to protect cyclists
at traffic lights. During an operation that spanned four days early
last month, Lothian & Borders Police also issued warnings to 26
cyclists for jumping red lights, and six for riding on the pavement,
reports The Scotsman.

The operation took place on the city’s North Bridge, which links the
Scottish capital’s Old and New Towns during the operation, which
formed part of the Drive Safe, Cycle Safe campaign, which is a joint
initiative of Lothian & Borders Police, Edinburgh City Council,
Lothian & Borders Fire Brigade and NHS Lothian.

The newspaper reports that from the end of this month, cyclists and
motorists committing similar transgressions will be given £30 fixed
penalty notices rather than escaping with a warning.

A spokesman for Lothian & Borders Police told the newspaper: “Drivers
who stopped within cycle boxes were told that this was illegal and
given advice to avoid committing the offence again to ensure the
safety of cyclists.

“Over 20 cyclists were also given appropriate guidance after officers
observed them cycling through red lights.”

The operation is aimed at targeting drivers’ behaviour at junctions,
with police saying that from 2004 to 2009, three in four injuries to
cyclists in Edinburgh happened either at a junction or within 20
metres of one, according to the newspaper.

Police said that during last month’s operation, 53 private car drivers
were warned for stopping in ASLs, plus drivers of 34 black cabs, 15
public service vehicles including coaches, and four buses. Some 85 per
cent of motorists stopped were male.

Les McVay, chair of the Edinburgh Licences Taxi Partnership, told the
newspaper that it was working to make sure its members understood
rules regarding ASLs.

“Everybody wants to work together to improve safety for cyclists and
we have been working with our members to ensure taxis and cyclists
continue to co-exist effectively in Edinburgh.

“We have put the details regarding not stopping in the red box out to
all of our drivers and will continue to work with the cab office to
try to get this message across. We would point out that all road
users, including car and taxi drivers and cyclists, should be obeying
traffic laws.”

Dave Du Feu, who chairs Spokes, the Lothian cycle campaign, commented:
“I applaud the police for their efforts to increase safety on city
roads. This is an even-handed campaign and neither motorists nor
cyclists can feel targeted as a result. The Highway Code is there for
all to adhere to and I would ask all cyclists to obey it.

“Some feel ASLs are for cyclists only but they offer increased safety
for all. They allow cyclists a head start but also improve visibility
at junctions for pedestrians and allow motorists a better view also.”

A police spokesman added: “Lothian and Borders Police is committed to
making our roads safer for all members of our communities.

“The ‘Drive Safe, Cycle Safe’ campaign is a partnership initiative
that aims to reduce the number of Edinburgh road traffic accidents
involving cyclists. The campaign focuses on the importance of
motorists observing traffic signals and cycle boxes, and of cyclists
stopping at traffic lights.”

Meanwhile, the newpaper also reported that 5,000 fines had been issued
to motorists caught driving in bus lanes on major routes into the city
centre, known as Greenways, in the first week in which cameras were
deployed there.

The drivers face a fine of £60 each, reduced to £30 if paid within 14
days, and according to the newspaper two motorists were each caught
committing the offence on five separate occasions.

Finally, STV reports that the new Labour and SNP coalition which has
assumed control of the city following last week’s elections has made a
number of pledges including retaining the tram system currently being
built, and holding a consultation on introducing 20mph zones in more
areas of Edinburgh.

http://road.cc/content/news/58059-ed...ced-stop-lines

--
Simon Mason
Old May 14th 12, 07:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_10_]

On May 12, 7:04*am, Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

http://road.cc/content/news/58059-ed...-more-100-moto...

So let me see, in four days 100 motorists were found by police to have
broken the law as compared to 32 cyclists? Seems about right.

-- .
A driving licence is sometimes a licence to kill.

Old May 14th 12, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 14/05/2012 07:01, Doug wrote:
On May 12, 7:04 am, Simon wrote:
[...]

Would you say that you would see 32 cyclists for every 100 drivers?

If so, on what planet is that?
Old May 15th 12, 05:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Mon, 14 May 2012 23:46:45 +0100, JNugent wrote:

On 14/05/2012 07:01, Doug wrote:
On May 12, 7:04 am, Simon wrote:
[...]

observed them cycling through red lights.â€

[...]

traffic laws.â€

Dave Du Feu, who chairs Spokes, the Lothian cycle campaign, commented:
“I applaud the police for their efforts to increase safety on city
roads. This is an even-handed campaign and neither motorists nor
cyclists can feel targeted as a result. The Highway Code is there for
all to adhere to and I would ask all cyclists to obey it.

“Some feel ASLs are for cyclists only but they offer increased safety
for all. They allow cyclists a head start but also improve visibility
at junctions for pedestrians and allow motorists a better view also.â€

A police spokesman added: “Lothian and Borders Police is committed to
making our roads safer for all members of our communities.

“The ‘Drive Safe, Cycle Safe’ campaign is a partnership initiative
that aims to reduce the number of Edinburgh road traffic accidents
involving cyclists. The campaign focuses on the importance of
motorists observing traffic signals and cycle boxes, and of cyclists
stopping at traffic lights.â€

http://road.cc/content/news/58059-ed...warn-more-100-

moto...

So let me see, in four days 100 motorists were found by police to have
broken the law as compared to 32 cyclists? Seems about right.

Would you say that you would see 32 cyclists for every 100 drivers?

If so, on what planet is that?

Perhaps in Muenster, Germany ...
Oh, sorry, that IS another planet.

--
Life is a venereal disease with 100% mortality.
Old May 15th 12, 07:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_10_]

On May 14, 11:46*pm, JNugent wrote:
On 14/05/2012 07:01, Doug wrote:

On May 12, 7:04 am, Simon *wrote:
[...]

A surprising number of drivers go through red lights and of course
commit many other road crimes, some of which are of a very serious
nature.

-- .
A driving licence is sometimes a licence to kill.
Old May 15th 12, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

wrote:

On 14/05/2012 07:01, Doug wrote:
On May 12, 7:04 am, Simon wrote:
[...]

Not another planet - but Blackfriars Bridge: 50 cyclists for every 100
drivers at peak hours.
Old May 15th 12, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

wrote:

On 14/05/2012 07:01, Doug wrote:
On May 12, 7:04 am, Simon wrote:
[...]

How many people live on Blackfriars Bridge?

50 cyclists for every 100
drivers at peak hours.

So let's be clear: the particular police operation which allegedly "found"
that 100 drivers commit (observable) offences for every 32 cyclists
committing offences took place on either Blackfriars Bridge or in some other
London location for which a substantial charge access is made for motor
vehicles but no charge for cyclists, yes?

Old May 15th 12, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

wrote:

On 14/05/2012 07:01, Doug wrote:
On May 12, 7:04 am, Simon wrote:
[...]

Not quite accurate.

In the congestion zone some motor vehicles are charged - many,
including buses, mobility scooters, taxis, electric bicycles and
motorcycles, are not.
Old May 15th 12, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

wrote:

On 14/05/2012 07:01, Doug wrote:
On May 12, 7:04 am, Simon wrote:
[...]

How about an answer to the question?

HOLD THE MAYO !!!!!!!! [email protected] Racing 8 August 1st 07 07:12 PM
Hold the line Brian Drury UK 17 November 20th 06 07:05 PM
On Hold Simon Dean UK 12 July 15th 06 04:39 PM
Traffic Citations & Traffic Cops Freddie Mountain Biking 0 March 23rd 06 05:02 AM
My bladder don't hold no more. [email protected] Mountain Biking 10 October 13th 03 11:18 AM