Talk about your dumb tight questions...

Old November 12th 04, 05:23 AM
Mike Kruger

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
David L. Johnson wrote:
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 15:00:50 -0500, Roger Zoul wrote:

Don't have any experience here, but if you wear shorts

of tights,
the tights might bunch up a bit, unless they are really

tight
fitting (??). I have some loose fitting tights to wear

over my
regular biking shorts.

Loose-fitting tights?

New thing. The call them "pants".

"Pants" are $20 at CostCo.
"Loose fitting tights" are $120 at the ski shop.

--
Mike Kruger
"If English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it's good

Old November 12th 04, 02:25 PM
dgk

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 19:31:25 -0600, "Mike Kruger"
wrote:

dgk wrote:

Wow, three responses already and two votes for tights over

shorts, one
vote for shorts over tights. That's close to unanimous in

a newsgroup
since it really makes no difference which goes on first

for all
practical purposes.

No difference at all? Hardly.
(1) If it's cold when you start before dawn but both the
earth and you are much warmer after an hour, you can take
the tights off anywhere if you have the tights on top and
the shorts underneath. If the tights are underneath, this is
not possible in a public place unless you are both a
professor of topology and a contortionist.
(2) Whatever's next to your crotch during exercise should be
regularly washed. This is easy for shorts and they will last
a long time. If you wear bike shorts, you probably have
several pairs, so you only have to do bike laundry every few
days. Tights don't hold up as well to repeated washing, and
most of us have fewer pairs of tights. This would require
more frequent laundry if they were worn as underwear.

I think I would prefer the look of shorts over the tights.

Winter cycling is definitely not about "style".

Those are very good points. Thank you. Tights over shorts it is. It
isn't likely that it is going to get anything near warm enough during
the winter to have me take them off, but the washing logic appears to
be beyond reproach.

I figure that it is around 40F now and I'm biking in jeans. I can't
see how tights and 20-30 would be too hot.