35F and dropping...

Old November 9th 04, 09:00 PM
dgk

Default 35F and dropping...

So far so good. Not at all cold on this morning's commute. But I've
dipped into the heavier of the middle layers for it, as well as the
tights. Maybe a bit of overkill. As long as it doesn't rain, 35F is
ok.

Boy, Tshirt and shorts on Sunday, and Tuesday morning it's 35.
Old November 10th 04, 01:58 AM
Bill Baka

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 16:00:08 -0500, dgk
wrote:

So far so good. Not at all cold on this morning's commute. But I've
dipped into the heavier of the middle layers for it, as well as the
tights. Maybe a bit of overkill. As long as it doesn't rain, 35F is
ok.

Boy, Tshirt and shorts on Sunday, and Tuesday morning it's 35.

How far is your commute?
Is it long enough to work up a sweat?
I went for a 30 mile ride today and found
out a few things about dressing right.
Start with t-shirt, sweats over that, and a jacket,
plus gloves for an overcast day in Sunny California, about 55 F.
That worked well for the first 3 miles, then the jacket went into
the backpack. At the 8 mile point starting to climb the hills the
sweats went into the backpack.
At the 15 miles out point I got hungry and there was nothing
in the backpack because I had planned for clothing and not
nutrition. Duh. Limping back home in a semi-bonk condition.
3 cups of black coffee does not make for a good breakfast either.
Now I'm hungry again so that's the end of this post.
Bill Baka
Old November 10th 04, 03:03 AM
Brian

"dgk" wrote in message
So far so good. Not at all cold on this morning's commute. But I've
dipped into the heavier of the middle layers for it, as well as the
tights. Maybe a bit of overkill. As long as it doesn't rain, 35F is
ok.

Boy, Tshirt and shorts on Sunday, and Tuesday morning it's 35.

I'm a wimp, I don't ride when it rains between Oct/Feb...

I can do cold...

I can do wet...

I just can't stand BOTH at the same time...

Old November 10th 04, 03:33 AM
Collin

dgk wrote:
So far so good. Not at all cold on this morning's commute. But I've
dipped into the heavier of the middle layers for it, as well as the
tights. Maybe a bit of overkill. As long as it doesn't rain, 35F is
ok.

Boy, Tshirt and shorts on Sunday, and Tuesday morning it's 35.

IMHO wet cold is much worse than even around 5 degrees fahrenheit - at
least its dry and invigorating! Keep layering appropriately and you will
enjoy every commute throughout the year.

-Collin
Old November 10th 04, 04:28 AM
Dane Jackson

Brian wrote:

I'm a wimp, I don't ride when it rains between Oct/Feb...

I can do cold...

I can do wet...

I just can't stand BOTH at the same time...

My enjoyment hierarchy goes something like this:

Where the suck factors are rain / dark / windy / cold

Suck factor (0) - Great to be out riding
Suck factor (1) - Enjoyable
Suck factor (2) - ok, still somewhat enjoyable
Suck factor (3) - grumble, grumble
Suck factor (4) - sucky
Suck factor (5) - all of the above plus something extra nasty like hail

Even at suck factor 5 it's still better than driving IMO.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
A priest advised Voltaire on his death bed to renounce the devil.
Old November 10th 04, 05:26 AM
Terry Morse

Bill Baka wrote:

I went for a 30 mile ride today and found
out a few things about dressing right.
Start with t-shirt, sweats over that, and a jacket,
plus gloves for an overcast day in Sunny California, about 55 F.
That worked well for the first 3 miles, then the jacket went into
the backpack. At the 8 mile point starting to climb the hills the
sweats went into the backpack.

Bill,

Now that the weather's turning colder,can I convince you to leave
the cotton t-shirt at home? Cotton is a big water collector. You'll
sweat on the climbs, soaking your t-shirt, then freeze on the way
down. I was pretty cold the other day, descending into 43F air with
light drizzle. I had on three poly layers, and I could have used one
more. But thankfully I was dry.

Mountain rescue folks have a simple saying: cotton kills.
Old November 10th 04, 01:58 PM
Peter Cole

"Bill Baka" wrote

At the 15 miles out point I got hungry and there was nothing
in the backpack because I had planned for clothing and not
nutrition. Duh. Limping back home in a semi-bonk condition.

Bonking at 15 miles is all in your head. A healthy person should be able to
ride much longer than that without depleting glycogen reserves.

Old November 10th 04, 02:12 PM
dgk

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 19:03:13 -0800, "Brian"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
.. .
So far so good. Not at all cold on this morning's commute. But I've
dipped into the heavier of the middle layers for it, as well as the
tights. Maybe a bit of overkill. As long as it doesn't rain, 35F is
ok.

Boy, Tshirt and shorts on Sunday, and Tuesday morning it's 35.

I'm a wimp, I don't ride when it rains between Oct/Feb...

I can do cold...

I can do wet...

I just can't stand BOTH at the same time...

It's supposed to rain Friday morning and be pretty cold. I think I'll
give it a try.
Old November 10th 04, 02:23 PM
dgk

wrote:

[...]

Commute is 12 miles. Today was 31.5F, so I can say that it was below
freezing. First two miles, with neoprene mask and bacalava, my face
was ok. But my nose was starting to run. After two miles I stop and
off comes the neoprene mask. I had thought it might be overkill.

My hands, even in the heavy gloves and silks liners, were very cold
during the first two miles. I was thinking that perhaps electric
gloves were in order. Oddly enough, after stopping to take off the
mask, my hands got warm. I had to take off the gloves to rework my
head and when I put them back on everything was ok. By the end of the
ride my hands were hot. I can see that fingers are going to be a
problem though.

My toes did get a bit cold as the ride wore on. I wore heavy socks and
my usual sneakers. So seems the extremities are going to problems as
it gets colder. I have the booties so hopefully that takes care of the
feet. I don't know about those fingers though. Seems like two
rechargeable batteries could help.
Old November 10th 04, 02:37 PM
Claire Petersky

"Dane Jackson" wrote in message

My enjoyment hierarchy goes something like this:

Where the suck factors are rain / dark / windy / cold

Suck factor (0) - Great to be out riding
Suck factor (1) - Enjoyable
Suck factor (2) - ok, still somewhat enjoyable
Suck factor (3) - grumble, grumble
Suck factor (4) - sucky
Suck factor (5) - all of the above plus something extra nasty like hail

When it hits your factor 5 is when I start to laugh at the absurdity of it
all, and I have a good time.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky