35F and dropping...

Old November 10th 04, 09:36 PM
Bill Baka

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 13:58:19 GMT, Peter Cole
wrote:

"Bill Baka" wrote

At the 15 miles out point I got hungry and there was nothing
in the backpack because I had planned for clothing and not
nutrition. Duh. Limping back home in a semi-bonk condition.

Bonking at 15 miles is all in your head. A healthy person should be able
ride much longer than that without depleting glycogen reserves.

It may have been that I decided to go out and ride after skipping
breakfast so I was running on reserve to begin with. Breakfast
really is a meal you don't want to skip.
Bill Baka
Old November 10th 04, 10:18 PM
Peter Cole

news
wrote:

Bonking at 15 miles is all in your head. A healthy person should be

able
ride much longer than that without depleting glycogen reserves.

It may have been that I decided to go out and ride after skipping
breakfast so I was running on reserve to begin with. Breakfast
really is a meal you don't want to skip.

You still should have plenty of reserves. I never eat breakfast before
morning rides, it makes me sick. Three hours of hard riding is about bonk
threshold for me. If you do the math, that works out to about normal.

I have done a double century without eating (not intentionally). If you go
at a moderate and steady pace you can do it -- if you've acclimated your
body to burn fat (lots of long rides).

Old November 10th 04, 10:27 PM
Neil Cherry

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:12:44 -0500, dgk wrote:
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 19:03:13 -0800, "Brian"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
. ..
So far so good. Not at all cold on this morning's commute. But I've
dipped into the heavier of the middle layers for it, as well as the
tights. Maybe a bit of overkill. As long as it doesn't rain, 35F is
ok.

Boy, Tshirt and shorts on Sunday, and Tuesday morning it's 35.

I'm a wimp, I don't ride when it rains between Oct/Feb...

I can do cold...

I can do wet...

I just can't stand BOTH at the same time...

It's supposed to rain Friday morning and be pretty cold. I think I'll
give it a try.

If you mean temperatures below 50F and rain may I suggest that you
don't. I did a double century in 56F and rain (mid June) and it just
plain sucked. There is no enjoyment (even from the absurd) and you
need to be wary of hypothermia. For those of us with asthma it's even
worse as it can cause breathing problems. I'll ride in the cold as I
can dress OK down to 32F. After that it depends on the amount of wind
and sun. No or little wind and sun I'm good to about 18F. But when it
comes to rain I prefer not to below 70F and definitely not below 60F.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)
Old November 10th 04, 10:50 PM
Badger

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:27:47 -0600, Neil Cherry wrote:

If you mean temperatures below 50F and rain may I suggest that you
don't. I did a double century in 56F and rain (mid June) and it just
plain sucked. There is no enjoyment (even from the absurd) and you
need to be wary of hypothermia. For those of us with asthma it's even
worse as it can cause breathing problems. I'll ride in the cold as I
can dress OK down to 32F. After that it depends on the amount of wind
and sun. No or little wind and sun I'm good to about 18F. But when it
comes to rain I prefer not to below 70F and definitely not below 60F.

I can see that. I'll ride down to 45 F in the rain, but I got neoprene
booties for the Gekos, and I'll be wearing latex gloves under the cycling
gloves, I think, next time. If that doesn't work, guess I'll spring for the
neoprine gloves.

-B

Old November 10th 04, 11:27 PM
Bill Baka

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:18:12 GMT, Peter Cole
wrote:

news
wrote:

Bonking at 15 miles is all in your head. A healthy person should be

able
ride much longer than that without depleting glycogen reserves.

Maybe mental reserve ran out since I was thinking of all the
other stuff I had to do at home. I was on a particularly dull
piece of road that I have ridden many times before.

It may have been that I decided to go out and ride after skipping
breakfast so I was running on reserve to begin w ith.Breakfast
really is a meal you don't want to skip.

You still should have plenty of reserves. I never eat breakfast before
morning rides, it makes me sick. Three hours of hard riding is about bonk
threshold for me. If you do the math, that works out to about normal.

I have gone 3 hours but only after breakfast, never on empty.

I have done a double century without eating (not intentionally). If you
go
at a moderate and steady pace you can do it -- if you've acclimated your
body to burn fat (lots of long rides).

I know it can be done at a lower pace, for days if need be since nature
doesn't provide food at regular intervals, (evolution 101). It may
just be how efficient your body is at converting fat energy into
sugar for power. I am sort of amazed that anyone could pull off a
double century without eating, depending on your speed. I did about
100 miles in mountains when I was 15, on a Saturday, didn't
even carry water bottles and paid the price when I got home,
sleeping through Sunday. Did a 30 mile mountain hike when I was 35 and
basically became part of the furniture when I got home.
We did defeat my stepson though, since he crashed in the back seat
of the car coming back home. Hyperactive 12 year old. Hah.
Bill Baka
Old November 11th 04, 03:03 AM
Neil Cherry

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:50:24 -0500, Badger wrote:
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:27:47 -0600, Neil Cherry wrote:

If you mean temperatures below 50F and rain may I suggest that you
don't. I did a double century in 56F and rain (mid June) and it just
plain sucked. There is no enjoyment (even from the absurd) and you
need to be wary of hypothermia. For those of us with asthma it's even
worse as it can cause breathing problems. I'll ride in the cold as I
can dress OK down to 32F. After that it depends on the amount of wind
and sun. No or little wind and sun I'm good to about 18F. But when it
comes to rain I prefer not to below 70F and definitely not below 60F.

I can see that. I'll ride down to 45 F in the rain, but I got neoprene
booties for the Gekos, and I'll be wearing latex gloves under the cycling
gloves, I think, next time. If that doesn't work, guess I'll spring for the
neoprine gloves.

It may just be me as I don't like the cold. Heat I can handle, cold I
have trouble with. Most of the people I ride with find it weird that I
still wear long sleeve jerseys into the 70's. But when it comes to
rain and cold I suffer. I'll still ride into the cold days of winter
but I start having breathing problems after the rides (wheezing and
lung conjestion). It's the one thing that limits my riding. That and I
hate the cold feeling I have for the rest of the day inside the core
of my body.

BTW, I've had trouble with neoprene. Since it hold the sweat I found
it made me colder except for my feet. I still use thick wool socks and
I make sure that nothing is tight or too loose fitting (socks, shoes,
pants, shirt, head wear or gloves) as that cuts off circulation and
will also make you cold.

Old November 11th 04, 03:15 AM
Neil Cherry

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:23:11 -0500, dgk wrote:
Commute is 12 miles. Today was 31.5F,

Oops, you've got to ride.

My hands, even in the heavy gloves and silks liners, were very cold
during the first two miles.

I like wool inner gloves, it traps the heat and something windproof
outside. Nothing that will cut off your circulation.

My toes did get a bit cold as the ride wore on. I wore heavy socks and
my usual sneakers.

Here are a few suggestions.

1) Find wool products, sock gloves, sweaters. It may be old fashion
but it hold the heat when wet and gets the sweat/wet off the skin
without lossing heat. Generally it's not windproof.

2) a good windproof vest is very helpful as it keeps the wind from
going through you but doesn't trap the sweat. I use the cheapest
Pearl Izumi vest I could find. It's just a plastic front and open
mesh back (no sleeves, though a half sleeve, front only would
probably be useful if I could find one).

3) Use something that is windproof on the tops of your feet. A peice
of plastic bag is an example it keeps the wind from robbing the
little heat feet tend to get.

4) Something that covers your head and at least the tops of your ears
may be enough to keep your head warm. A lot of heat leaves your
body via your head. Dont' trap it there.

If your worried about wind burn on your face vaseline on your cheeks
can be useful. There may be a specific product for that. I suspect
light ski wear may be useful but I don't know much about skiing.

Old November 11th 04, 03:56 AM
Badger

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:03:50 -0600, Neil Cherry wrote:

It may just be me as I don't like the cold. Heat I can handle, cold I
have trouble with. Most of the people I ride with find it weird that I
still wear long sleeve jerseys into the 70's. But when it comes to
rain and cold I suffer. I'll still ride into the cold days of winter
but I start having breathing problems after the rides (wheezing and
lung conjestion). It's the one thing that limits my riding. That and I
hate the cold feeling I have for the rest of the day inside the core
of my body.

Oddly, on the bike I'm out riding in 90-95 degree days and it feels cool
with the wind blowing. I keep looking at the temp and thinking, man, I'm
gonna fry. However I will frequently ride in extra gear in the heat when
I'm trying to acclimate to even hotter temps.

The important thing is to realize your limitations and work with them, as
you've done.

BTW, I've had trouble with neoprene. Since it hold the sweat I found
it made me colder except for my feet. I still use thick wool socks and
I make sure that nothing is tight or too loose fitting (socks, shoes,
pants, shirt, head wear or gloves) as that cuts off circulation and
will also make you cold.

Yeah, I'm thinking the experiment is still in progress for what to wear on
the hands when it's wet -and- cold. But I think the neoprene booties will
be a big plus, in that it keeps the shoes from getting wet. I rarely get
cold feet, but temps are not that extreme in central Va. The coldest I've
ever ridden was 10deg F, so Peter's 'subzero' group has me beat.

Basically, since I'm a 'ride everyday' guy, I've only let deep snow and
flooding stop me (so far). Oh, and hurricanes (Aug 03). (lol). Fortunately
the climate is mild here.

You'd have gotten a laugh out of seeing me do 16 repeats on the 1/2 mile of
clear bike trail a couple days last winter. It was just pathetic...lol. Oh
well. ;-)

-B

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry

Old November 11th 04, 07:03 AM
Dane Jackson

Neil Cherry wrote:
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:23:11 -0500, dgk wrote:

My toes did get a bit cold as the ride wore on. I wore heavy socks and
my usual sneakers.

Here are a few suggestions.

1) Find wool products, sock gloves, sweaters. It may be old fashion
but it hold the heat when wet and gets the sweat/wet off the skin
without lossing heat. Generally it's not windproof.

For the most part I confine my retro-grouchery to one or two things.
But the big one is wool. Wool Socks. I think wool socks are the bomb.
The are so infused with bomb-ness, I might call them the next best thing
to be discovered since Pam Grier. Because of course nothing contains
the bomb-nature more than Pam Grier.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
Virgule gazed across the vast, cold, steel expanse past his inquisitor to witness
Old November 11th 04, 07:08 AM
Dane Jackson

Claire Petersky wrote:
"Dane Jackson" wrote in message

My enjoyment hierarchy goes something like this:

Where the suck factors are rain / dark / windy / cold

Suck factor (0) - Great to be out riding
Suck factor (1) - Enjoyable
Suck factor (2) - ok, still somewhat enjoyable
Suck factor (3) - grumble, grumble
Suck factor (4) - sucky
Suck factor (5) - all of the above plus something extra nasty like hail

When it hits your factor 5 is when I start to laugh at the absurdity of it
all, and I have a good time.

Sometimes I have that reaction too. It depends on how recently I've had
a SF5 day previously.

"Mr Sulu! Ahead Suck Factor 5!"
-Exploring the Oh-Crap Nebula - Stardate 8210.3

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"Cogito eggo sum: I think, therefore I am a waffle."