Any "insulated" bottles that actually work?

Old May 18th 09, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Any "insulated" bottles that actually work?

Phil W Lee phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote:

In theory, a bottle kept wet should help, as evaporation would cool
the contents. I'm not sure how much of the capacity would get used
for cooling, and how much left for the rider.
Less of a problem if you have access to replacements as needed though.
I guess it depends on what kind of material is used for the porous
evaporative cover.

For quite a while I've carried a small towel with me on long, hot
rides. At stops I wet it and drape it over my head. With the
evaporative effect (I live in a dry climate), it feels heavenly.
Next time I'm out maybe I'll try wetting the towel and wrapping it
around a water bottle. Can't hurt...

Bill (Frumious)

| An animal will leave a carcus after he gets his belly full, |
| but you never see a banker do that sort of thing. |
| --Butch Cassidy |

Old May 18th 09, 10:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On May 17, 11:20*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:
Just curious if anyone's come across an insulated water bottle that
actually keeps your drink cold for more than 1/2 hour or so. I frankly
see little difference between the Polar insulated bottles and a standard
one (putting both to the test yet again on today's 95 degree ride, and
still finding the so-called "insulated" bottle to be of little benefit).

Obviously, what we need is a water bottle with a styrofoam shell.

As a bonus, it would soon accumulate a lot of dents. Each one would
prove its life had been saved! ;-)

- Frank Krygowski
Old May 18th 09, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

SMS wrote:
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

I have no doubt a thermal vacuum bottle would work; that's
"technology" that's been around for ages and used in many lunchboxes.
But even if there was still such a bottle that would fit in a standard
bottle cage, that's not good enough for me. I would also want it to be
easy to drink from, which pretty much requires squeezability.

Well I've had no problem drinking from the stainless steel bottles while
riding, and mine fit into a standard cage (well certain models of
standard cages).

Here's a photo of my commute bike with the stainless steel bottle.
"http://nordicgroup.us/s78/images/img_0280.jpg"

Note the lugged steel, non-compact, frame with a threaded headset and
the classic Zefal HPX pump, and of course the Flickstand.

The cage is a Profile Design nylon/fiberglass model that sells for $3.49
"http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/11136-055_PROBC2-2-Accessories-415-Bottles/Cages/Profile-Kage-Water-Bottle-Cage.htm"
but a lot of carbon fiber cages would also work. You don't really want a
standard steel or aluminum cage as it would scratch the bottle and the
diameter of the bottle is a bit greater than a standard water bottle.
Old May 19th 09, 01:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Brian Huntley

On May 18, 1:28*am, "Leo Lichtman" wrote:
This brings back images of the Grapes of Wrath days, when canvas bags of
water were hung on the front bumper, and where evaporation cooled the water.

Those continued to be sold in the area of Needles, CA, into the late
1960s at least. (Nothing to do with bike drink bottles, just me
remembering those things and also remembering I wasn't around during
the "Grapes of Wrath" days. More like the Grape Boycott days.)
Old May 19th 09, 02:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On May 18, 8:32*pm, Brian Huntley wrote:
On May 18, 1:28*am, "Leo Lichtman" wrote:

This brings back images of the Grapes of Wrath days, when canvas bags of
water were hung on the front bumper, and where evaporation cooled the water.

Those continued to be sold in the area of Needles, CA, into the late
1960s at least. (Nothing to do with bike drink bottles, just me
remembering those things and also remembering I wasn't around during
the "Grapes of Wrath" days. *More like the Grape Boycott days.)

And in the early 1970s, I recall driving through the southwest for the
first time in the heat of summer. My buddy and I saw many cars with
what looked like large cans hanging out the passenger window. We
eventually learned they were evaporative air conditioners.

And apparently you can still buy the old ones on Ebay:
http://tinyurl.com/r5kaxa

- Frank Krygowski
Old May 19th 09, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Brian Huntley writes:
On May 18, 1:28*am, "Leo Lichtman" wrote:
This brings back images of the Grapes of Wrath days, when canvas bags of
water were hung on the front bumper, and where evaporation cooled the water.

Those continued to be sold in the area of Needles, CA, into the late
1960s at least. (Nothing to do with bike drink bottles, just me
remembering those things and also remembering I wasn't around during
the "Grapes of Wrath" days. More like the Grape Boycott days.)

My father used to sling those bags onto the front bumper
for road trips to the British Columbia interior during
the '50s and '60s. They were for when the car's radiator
boiled over. I even recall that the brand of the bags was
Pioneer, and they had on them a picture of some guy wearing
a peak hat.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old May 19th 09, 04:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Brian Huntley

On May 18, 9:33*pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Yeah, Dad borrowed one of those for a desert trip once, too. It looked
for all the world like a hammertone Electrolux "sled" vacuum hanging
off the side of a Pontiac. Whistled like an idling jet engine, too.

A set of soft cooler bags with freezer packs and cans of 7up worked
better at keeping the car livable.
Old May 19th 09, 04:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
Just curious if anyone's come across an insulated water bottle that
actually keeps your drink cold for more than 1/2 hour or so. I
frankly see little difference between the Polar insulated bottles and
a standard one (putting both to the test yet again on today's 95
degree ride, and still finding the so-called "insulated" bottle to be
of little benefit).

http://www.polarbottle.com/features/chill-factor/

Nowhere near as good as a real thermos bottle, but a lot better than a
plain bottle.

I beg to differ. The Polar might be good at keeping something warm warm,
but it's not very good at all at keeping something cold cold. The chart
they show is simply... wrong. I literally froze a Cytomax mixture in a
pair of Polar "insulated" bottles and stored them in an ice chest during
the hour drive to the start of the ride. They remained frozen in the ice
chest, but within one hour they were not only completely thawed out but
indistinguishable from the temp of the non-insulated bottle (which had
been prepared and stored the same way).

I'll accept the idea that I might not be able to detect a small
difference in temperature between one bottle and the next... I'll even
give you 10 degrees if you want. But according to that chart, there
should be a continuous nearly 20 degree difference between the two. I
don't buy it. Not even half of it.

If the Polar folk read this, I don't think they're going to be very
happy with me as a retailer. :-)

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old May 19th 09, 05:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bruce[_4_]

On 2009-05-17 20:20:39 -0700, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
said:

Just curious if anyone's come across an insulated water bottle that
actually keeps your drink cold for more than 1/2 hour or so. I frankly
see little difference between the Polar insulated bottles and a standard
one (putting both to the test yet again on today's 95 degree ride, and
still finding the so-called "insulated" bottle to be of little benefit).

What makes it frustrating is that I accidentally discovered how easily
you can accomplish the task on your own. At the '06 TdF it was quite hot
for a couple of the stages, so I did my usual thing of filling the
bottles mostly with ice. But because I was carrying them in a rack trunk
bag, along with camera equipment, I wrapped the two bottles in paper
towels (to absorb any moisture that might occur) and put the two of them
into a freezer ziplock baggie. 7 hours later and there was still ice in
the bottles! Extremely low-tech but effective.

Of course, in the rack trunk bag, they had no stream of air around them
to suck away their coldness. So perhaps there's no practical way to
accomplish this with a bottle in an exposed cage; perhaps the Polar
might work just as well in a rack truck bag as my unintentional version.

Not that any of this would come to mind while climbing Mtn. Charlie in
the Santa Cruz Mountains on the first hot day of the year...

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

I guess I have had different results than you have. I went out
yesterday late morning on a training ride and the temps topped out at
101*F by the time I got home at 3 pm. I had 2 bottles with me and 2
planned stops to refill my water/ice. The bottles were a new 21 oz
camelback w/chill jacket and a 16oz polar-insulated. Both were topped
with ice and water at the last stop and made it over 1 hr 15 min with
small ice chips still left in the polar bottle. Unfortunately, I do
not have room to fit one of the BIG polar bottles....so I'll continue
to use this combo for the best of capacity and insulating ability.
Obviously this was NOT scientific, and would love to find something
more efficient. Then again, on a hot day, I should be going through 1
bottle per hour (minimum) anyway, so I can always get more ice when I
stop to refill. YMMV.

Bruce in Redding, CA

Old May 19th 09, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
"Peter Cole" wrote in message
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
[...]

Well, I can't explain your experience, or I should say, the difference
in our experiences. Keeping cold cold or hot hot should be the same
thermodynamically. I don't put hot stuff in the Polars, just find they
keep water from freezing (longer) on very cold winter rides. I finally
had to buy 4 Polars, because my kids & wife (after seeing the
difference) wouldn't use plain bottles any more on our hot weather MTB
rides. That's what I get for sharing...