Weird Bike Sighting of the Year

Old June 26th 09, 04:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Weird Bike Sighting of the Year

Wow, did I see one today. In the area between downtown Salt Lake
City and the University of Utah, there it was, unfortunately going the
other way on a busy street. I only got a glimpse, but what a glimpse.
My very first, gen-yoo-wine highwheeler. An actual penny-farthing.
That's not so weird, you say? Add this to the mix. It was being ridden
backwards. Yup, farthing first. I'll remember this ride for a while.

Bill (Frumious)

__o | Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live.
_`\(,_ |
(_)/ (_) | -- Mark Twain
Old June 26th 09, 01:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
mac

.... going the other way on a busy street.
.... It was being ridden backwards. Yup, farthing first.

Are you sure you weren't just passing?
Old June 26th 09, 08:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Kane

On Jun 25, 11:27*pm, wrote:
* *Wow, did I see one today. *In the area between downtown Salt Lake
City and the University of Utah, there it was, unfortunately going the
other way on a busy street. *I only got a glimpse, but what a glimpse. *
My very first, gen-yoo-wine highwheeler. *An actual penny-farthing. *
That's not so weird, you say? *Add this to the mix. *It was being ridden
backwards. *Yup, farthing first. *I'll remember this ride for a while..

They are a bit rare but there was at least one design with the
farthing first layout. Possibly one of the American "Star" brand?

I don't think I've ever seen an Ordinary being just ridden on the
street.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada
Old June 27th 09, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Rathmann

On Jun 26, 8:14*am, DougC wrote:
wrote:
* *Wow, did I see one today. *In the area between downtown Salt Lake
City and the University of Utah, there it was, unfortunately going the
other way on a busy street. *I only got a glimpse, but what a glimpse.. *
My very first, gen-yoo-wine highwheeler. *An actual penny-farthing. *
That's not so weird, you say? *Add this to the mix. *It was being ridden
backwards. *Yup, farthing first. *I'll remember this ride for a while.

Bill (Frumious)

* *__o * | Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live.
*_`\(,_ *|
(_)/ (_) | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -- Mark Twain

Carl will be along in a few minutes to provide examples--but they were
built both ways. ...Some had the little wheel behind, some had it in front.

Old June 27th 09, 07:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
[email protected][_2_]

On Jun 25, 9:27*pm, wrote:
* *Wow, did I see one today. *In the area between downtown Salt Lake
City and the University of Utah, there it was, unfortunately going the
other way on a busy street. *I only got a glimpse, but what a glimpse. *
My very first, gen-yoo-wine highwheeler. *An actual penny-farthing. *
That's not so weird, you say? *Add this to the mix. *It was being ridden
backwards. *Yup, farthing first. *I'll remember this ride for a while..

Bill (Frumious)

* *__o * | Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live.
*_`\(,_ *|
(_)/ (_) | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -- Mark Twain

Dear Bill,

An email asked me about your small front wheel highwheeler.

You may have seen a replica of an Eagle safety highwheeler. (There may
also be replica Stars, but I don't know of any offhand.) Or you may
have seen an original with a happy owner.

As other posters already pointed out, there were several popular small
front wheel versions, which were one kind of safety highwheeler.

Another kind of safety highwheeler still had the large wheel in front,
but it was downsized and used gearing and chains or complicated
treadles to get enough gearing to be useful (sometimes called a dwarf
highwheeler). They included the Kangaroo, Facile, Xtraordinary, King,
Columbia, American G&J, and others.

Yet a third kind of safety highwheeler used the normal large front
wheel, but powered it with two rearward facing treadles, which let the
rider sit further back--the Springfield Roadster.

***

Probably the most famous photo of a small-front-wheel highwheeler, a
treadle Star descending the steps of the Capitol:

http://i11.tinypic.com/8ak80wj.jpg

(Despite the caption, the shadows show that the photo was taken in
broad daylight.)

Small-front-wheel highwheeler's front suspension visible:

http://www.pepcak.webzdarma.cz/vyspan175.jpg

***

Dwarf highwheelers next to their big brothers:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deqaden...13533/sizes/o/
http://www.pepcak.webzdarma.cz/vyspan085.jpg

An ad for the Kangaroo dwarf highwheeler with gears and chains:

http://books.google.com/books?id=vVN...#PRA1-PA117,M1

The Kangaroo, Facile and Xtraordinary dwarf highwheelers are shown in
Sharp, as well as the Star small-front wheel:

http://books.google.com/books?id=gFMN3-srupsC&pg=PA151
http://books.google.com/books?id=gFMN3-srupsC&pg=PA189

A large-front-wheel Springfield roadster with two rear-facing
treadles:

http://www.pepcak.webzdarma.cz/vyspan144.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old June 27th 09, 10:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
" writes:
On Jun 25, 9:27*pm, wrote:
[...]

Y'know, a plain ol' Ordinary bicycle ~could~ be
ridden backward by a skilled rider.

I guess riding a forwards bike backwards would
be akin to playing a right-handed guitar
left-handedly.

I wouldn't be surprised if a left-handedly-strung
violin facilitated the playing of Paganini's caprices.
Maybe plus some certain modal, diatonic tunings.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old June 27th 09, 08:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
[email protected][_2_]

On Jun 27, 3:10*am, (Tom Keats) wrote:

*http://books.google.com/books?id=vVN...titlepage#PRA1...
[...]

Dear Tom,

Heck, skilled trick and fancy riders rode ordinaries with the rear
wheel _removed_.

Here's an ad for Kaufmann riding his highwheeler with the backbone,
seat, and rear wheel removed, up and down some steps, like a giant
unicycle with a handlebar:

http://www.designasign.eu/images/upl...elShow1886.jpg

Here are more tricks illustrated, some with the back of the
highwheeler removed, in a Scientific American article about a Leipzig
trick and fancy contest in which Kaufmann whomped his rival, 284 to
228 style points:

http://i17.tinypic.com/8eufoqs.jpg

But no, it's not likely that anyone was riding a normal highwheeler
backwards down a modern street. Most likely, it was a replica safety
highwheeler (rare but intended for riding) or an original (rare and
rarely ridden).

As for Paganini's caprices, the odds are overwhelming that any
recording uses a normal violin:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...h_type =&aq=f

Occam's razor works pretty well.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old June 30th 09, 02:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jym Dyer

=v= Sounds as if you saw Martin Krieg:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jym/3455085048/

Oh wait, that's his "ordinary" bike. Here he is on
his not-so-ordinary:

http://www.bikeroute.com/

_Jym_