Favorite music while bicycling

Old March 30th 08, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - 'Roid Rage Edition ®

Default Favorite music while bicycling

"JCrowe" wrote in message
t...
Hi Folks,

So, what music do people listen to while cycling? I was
just listening to four Rossini overtures yesterday, William Tell,
The Silken Ladder, The Thieving Magpie and The Barber of Seville
and I thought I'd start this thread. I also like the last Dylan
album and JJ Cale/Eric Clapton latest as well. Anybody else?

None. It's dangerous to be grooving to ipod while riding. It's against the
law in some cities.

Old March 30th 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides

I don't use headphones or carry a receiver so my music comes from
within and rises to a crescendo when I reach summits of great climbs.
I hear "Joe Green" (Giuseppe Verde) Va Pensiero from Nabucco:

http://ddata.over-blog.com/xxxyyy/0/...-pensiero.html

http://www.paloaltobicycles.com/alps_photos/f51.html

Jobst Brandt
Old March 30th 08, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tim McNamara

In article ,
JCrowe wrote:

Hi Folks,

So, what music do people listen to while cycling? I was
just listening to four Rossini overtures yesterday, William Tell, The
Silken Ladder, The Thieving Magpie and The Barber of Seville and I
thought I'd start this thread. I also like the last Dylan album and
JJ Cale/Eric Clapton latest as well. Anybody else?

IMHO it's unsafe to be riding with headphones or earbuds, so I don't do
it. (In my state it is legal for cyclists to ride with only one earbud
or earphone, but not two). I also find that it disconnects me from the
world around me and that's not why I am riding a bike.

I "listen" to music internally. I have good auditory recall and can
"play" entire records from memory while I am riding. "In Memory of
Elizabeth Reed" (original mix) from the Fillmore East" album has always
been a favorite when riding. Another one- today's selection, in fact-
is "Help on the Way/Slipknot!/Franklin's Tower" as well as a few jazz
tunes. Richard Thompson's "Celtschmerz" CD is also good for cycling.
Old March 30th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides
Papa Tom

i'm not sure if this is the same thread from a few years ago, so forgive me
if I'm double-dipping.

Two years ago, I rigged up an mp3 player with a speaker that sits on my
handlebars. My biking mix is about 1000 classic pop and rock songs from the
1920s through the 2000s. Essentially, it's every great singalong song that
was ever recorded. Because most of these songs were popular during my
childhood (60s and 70s) they always bring back the joy I felt when I rode my
bike everywhere as a kid.

For those of you who prefer to hear the music in your head, I understand
that sentiment, too. I own hundreds of CDs and my house is wired for sound
upstairs and down. However, I find that I rarely need to turn on my home
sound system - because all the music from my lifetime is playing in my head
all the time.

Old March 31st 08, 12:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Mar 25, 11:15 pm, JCrowe wrote:
Hi Folks,

So, what music do people listen to while cycling? I was
just listening to four Rossini overtures yesterday, William Tell,
The Silken Ladder, The Thieving Magpie and The Barber of Seville
and I thought I'd start this thread. I also like the last Dylan
album and JJ Cale/Eric Clapton latest as well. Anybody else?

Mostly Irish trad dance tunes or other Celtic tunes. Or Appalachian
fiddle tunes. Occasionally, Breton dance tunes. Some early music
(pre-1500). All generated internally, unless I'm whistling while I
ride.

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 31st 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Mar 26, 1:53 am, (Dennis P. Harris)
wrote:
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 03:15:40 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, JCrowe

wrote:
what music do people listen to while cycling

I don't. I'd rather stay alive, thank you. I want to hear the
cagers approaching from the rear, the birds, the dog that's going
to run out and start chasing me, the surf, the beavers splashing
in the pond as they try to dam the culvert and flood the road...
Anyone cycling with headphones on is asking for trouble.

I haven't tried headphones - that is, the over-the-ear things - while
cycling. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen it done. But I've
ridden a little on long tours while using earbuds, with no problems at
all. I could certainly hear cars approaching from the rear, and I
could carry on conversations with my riding partners.

So I'd say it depends on your environment (deserted road or high-
traffic city?) and the volume setting.

We argue about this at least once per year, and IIRC nobody has yet
explained what's wrong with this man's reasoning:
http://www.bikexprt.com/bicycle/hearing.htm

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 31st 08, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
recycled[_2_]

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message
In article ,
JCrowe wrote:

Hi Folks,

So, what music do people listen to while cycling? I was
just listening to four Rossini overtures yesterday, William Tell, The
Silken Ladder, The Thieving Magpie and The Barber of Seville and I
thought I'd start this thread. I also like the last Dylan album and
JJ Cale/Eric Clapton latest as well. Anybody else?

IMHO it's unsafe to be riding with headphones or earbuds, so I don't do
it. (In my state it is legal for cyclists to ride with only one earbud
or earphone, but not two). I also find that it disconnects me from the
world around me and that's not why I am riding a bike.

I "listen" to music internally. I have good auditory recall and can
"play" entire records from memory while I am riding.

And you don't think this is less unsafe nor disconnects you from the world
around you any less?

I'm not trying to start a pro/anti ipod while cycling debate. It just seems
to me that the difference between the two would at most be one of very small
degree.

Old March 31st 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides
Papa Tom

Oh, and what I forgot to say is that, regardless of my habits at home, I
still prefer bicycling with music playing. When I first got back into
cycling in 1996, I thought it was going to be a great social thing; but I
soon found that cyclists don't strike up conversations very easily. Thus,
my little music rig serves two purposes: 1. It's a conversation piece that
often results in a nightly nod on the trail or road from other cyclists, and
2. It keeps me company when people aren't being friendly and I want to
appear like someone who doesn't care that much!

Actually, it has also made riding with my wife a lot more fun. As much as
we enjoy each other's company, when it's quiet around us, we end up filling
in the silence with nonsense chatter. That gets old and annoying after a
couple of hours of riding. Now, when I crank up the singalong tunes and
turn on the auxilary speaker I've added to the BACK of my bike, we can sing
along and just have a great time without having to work so hard.

Old March 31st 08, 12:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Doc O'Leary[_5_]

In article ,
"recycled" wrote:

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message

I "listen" to music internally. I have good auditory recall and can
"play" entire records from memory while I am riding.

And you don't think this is less unsafe nor disconnects you from the world
around you any less?

I'm not trying to start a pro/anti ipod while cycling debate. It just seems
to me that the difference between the two would at most be one of very small
degree.

And you might also think that the difference between driving while
talking on a cell phone would be a very small degree of change compared
to talking with a passenger, but it seems to be significant.

While I won't pretend to have any exceptional music recall, when I do
play a song in my head it requires *concentration*. That is, it stops
when I need to mentally focus on something else, while an MP3 player
would keep playing on as a physical distraction.

--
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, 4ax.com, buzzardnews.com, googlegroups.com,
heapnode.com, localhost, ntli.net, teranews.com, vif.com, x-privat.org
Old March 31st 08, 01:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
recycled[_2_]

"Doc O'Leary" wrote in message
In article ,
"recycled" wrote:

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message

I "listen" to music internally. I have good auditory recall and can
"play" entire records from memory while I am riding.

And you don't think this is less unsafe nor disconnects you from the
world
around you any less?

I'm not trying to start a pro/anti ipod while cycling debate. It just
seems
to me that the difference between the two would at most be one of very
small
degree.

And you might also think that the difference between driving while
talking on a cell phone would be a very small degree of change compared
to talking with a passenger, but it seems to be significant.

I wonder. It does seem apparent that it isn't a matter of hands-free versus
not that makes cell phone use a distraction but the interactivity of
talking. I would suspect that similarly it wouldn't be the affect on hearing
ambient noise that would be the safety issue with headphones but how much it
distracts you - which I would put on a par with listening to music in an
automobile rather than conversing with someone -either a passenger or via
cell.

While I won't pretend to have any exceptional music recall, when I do
play a song in my head it requires *concentration*. That is, it stops
when I need to mentally focus on something else, while an MP3 player
would keep playing on as a physical distraction.

I've listened to mp3's while riding mountain bike trails and I found that
in a particularly challenging section I tune out the mp3. Afterwards I
realize I have no recall of what was playing.