Touring advice, one bike or two?

Old May 28th 08, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Default Touring advice, one bike or two?

Hank wrote:

And when it comes to touring triples, by far the best choice is the
Sugino XD600. The 110/74BCD is the most sensible format for touring,
allowing lows down to 24t and highs up into the 50s. MTB cranks are
geared too low for most folks' tastes, and the rings are too small to
work with STI-compatible FDs.

I love the XD600. It's *so* cheap and it also makes a ducky compact
double replacement if you use a shorter BB with it. The 110/74 gives
you a really nice selection of chainrings (unlike 130/96 or some of the
others).

--
Dane Buson -
"Besides, I think [Slackware] sounds better than 'Microsoft,' don't you?"
Old May 29th 08, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Luke

In article
,
Maury Markowitz wrote:

Ok, the picture is getting much clearer now.

I visited Urbane and they have a Jamis set up for touring. Low-end
grouppo, but pretty much everything I'm looking for -- drop handles
with STI, standard sized steel tubing that could be cut for break-
down, and a nice head-up geometry. I'll live with the calipers for
now, although I've never been a fan of them. The only real concern was
the front crankset, which was 53-something-30ish. I'd definitely want
to take that down a step, perhaps with the Sugino crank. All this for
$1100, which seems like a steal.

The other option they had was a Richey frameset with built-in
breakdown points. It came with a carbon disk-read front fork, and a
little less wheelbase (which I like). The frame was $1000 though, so
it would likely run me 2k for the full buildout. I'll be trolling
craigs and e-bay and see if anything turns up though.

They also had a couple of the Huffy frames, but he said it would
basically be identical to the Jamis, and only recommended that I go
that way if I wanted to do a complete build-up. Of course at that
point I'd just go with the Richey for a few more bucks, but already
with the breakdown points.

Maury

Just checking into this thread after a few days absence...

Possibly a few points of interest to you Maury:

I've a 2001(?) Jamis Nova. I've toured extensively and commute daily
on it, all in all an excellent all rounder. My only complaint, which is
a minor, is that I'd prefer a setup with slightly longer chainstays and
greater wheelbase for touring.

Up-thread you expressed in interest in "breakable" bikes, that is,
frames with S&S BTCs installed. [ http://www.sandsmachine.com/ ]. I've
two bikes so equipped and both a hard and soft case for their
transport. You're welcome to come on and inspect the equipment.

The couplers DO NOT compromise the integrity of the frame nor adversely
affect the handling of the bike at all.

Jody Lee of Jester Cycles [ http://www.sandsmachine.com/bp_jst.htm ]
out of Welland retrofitted the BTCs to my frame (I bought the other
with them already installed).
Old May 29th 08, 06:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Hank

On May 28, 10:43 am, SMS wrote:
Maury Markowitz wrote:
[...]

Two other options.

The Dahon Tournado uses the Ritchey frame. It's $2000, but think about
how much it'll cost for S&S couplers on a standard steel frame touring
frame (I expect that it's at least $350). See
"http://www.dahon.com/us/tournado.htm".

The Panasonic touring frame breaks down, and is available for $795. See
"http://www.yellowjersey.org/posd7.html" Beautiful lugged frame, and
threaded headset.

That Panasonic looks gorgeous, and with the racks, headset and fenders
included, it's a steal - IF you're a man under, say, 5'7". Biggest
one they make is a 53, with a 54.5cm top tube They wouldn't even be
particularly good for many women, since the TTs are so long,
considerably longer than the seat tubes. If you're vaguely shaped like
a typical Japanese man, though....wow, great bike!

Another option is the Surly Traveler's Check, which is their Cross-
Check frame with S&S couplers installed at the factory. And the
"Blurple" color is gorgeous. Almost as nice as the Karate Monkey's
"Hüsker Blü."