popeye's elbow

Old May 23rd 08, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
leebossa

Default popeye's elbow

or olecranon bursitis...anyone ever have it?

it seems to have come up following an accident last month, requiring
three stitches in right elbow, infection, antibiotics- the whole shmear.

I noticed it and am going to get it checked out. Apparenlty they
sometimes have to drain it...how disabling is that? i've never had that
kind of thing done...

it's not that painful, just kind of stiff. How does it affect riding
after treatment?

share your stories!!! i'd love to know...
Old May 23rd 08, 06:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Lee Bossa wrote:

it seems to have come up following an accident last month, requiring
three stitches in right elbow, infection, antibiotics- the whole
shmear.

I noticed it and am going to get it checked out. Apparently they
sometimes have to drain it... how disabling is that? I've never had
that kind of thing done...

It's not that painful, just kind of stiff. How does it affect
riding after treatment?

But was he wearing a helmet? I find amazing how people can ask that
question when crash injuries to limbs are described.

Jobst Brandt
Old May 23rd 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Kane

On May 23, 1:23*am, wrote:
Lee Bossa wrote:
it seems to have come up following an accident last month, requiring
three stitches in right elbow, infection, antibiotics- the whole
shmear.
I noticed it and am going to get it checked out. *Apparently they
sometimes have to drain it... how disabling is that? *I've never had
that kind of thing done...
It's not that painful, just kind of stiff. *How does it affect
riding after treatment?

But was he wearing a helmet? *I find amazing how people can ask that
question when crash injuries to limbs are described.

Jobst Brandt

One strapped to each knee hence the elbow injury.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada
Old May 23rd 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
leebossa

duhh...what do you think? trust me if i hadn't worn a helmet i'd be
asking about a lot more than my elbow....and i'm a SHE by the way...just
for future reference.

Old May 23rd 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Helmet saved your life-- Pray to the helmet gods!!!

John Kane wrote:
On May 23, 1:23 am, wrote:
Lee Bossa wrote:
it seems to have come up following an accident last month, requiring
three stitches in right elbow, infection, antibiotics- the whole
shmear.
I noticed it and am going to get it checked out. *Apparently they
sometimes have to drain it... how disabling is that? *I've never had
that kind of thing done...
It's not that painful, just kind of stiff. *How does it affect
riding after treatment?
But was he wearing a helmet? *I find amazing how people can ask that
question when crash injuries to limbs are described.

Jobst Brandt

One strapped to each knee hence the elbow injury.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada- Hide quoted text -

Old May 24th 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

read you idiot. "if i hadnt had a helmet i'd be asking about more than
my elbow"

On May 23, 5:36*pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
wrote {INSIPID TOP-POSTING FIXED}:

John Kane wrote:
On May 23, 1:23 am, wrote (for no
discernable reason):
Lee Bossa wrote:
it seems to have come up following an accident last month,
requiring three stitches in right elbow, infection, antibiotics-
the whole shmear.
I noticed it and am going to get it checked out. Apparently they
sometimes have to drain it... how disabling is that? I've never
had that kind of thing done...
It's not that painful, just kind of stiff. How does it affect
riding after treatment?
But was he wearing a helmet? I find amazing how people can ask that
question when crash injuries to limbs are described.

Jobst Brandt
One strapped to each knee hence the elbow injury.

{OP's top-posted reply}

On May 23, 1:28 pm, leebossa wrote:
duhh...what do you think? trust me if i hadn't worn a helmet i'd be
asking about a lot more than my elbow....and i'm a SHE by the
way...just for future reference.

{Butt-packer chimes in}

Helmet saved your life-- Pray to the helmet gods!!!

God, you're a moron. *Besides your clueless, ceaseless top-posting, YOU
CAN'T READ. *(Hint: *where does she say anything remotely like the lid saved
her life?)

It's just all so typical of AHZs and people like {insert obvious political
persuasion here} Jobst.

BS (piling up)- Hide quoted text -

Old May 24th 08, 05:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Hank

On May 22, 8:03 pm, leebossa wrote:
or olecranon bursitis...anyone ever have it?

it seems to have come up following an accident last month, requiring
three stitches in right elbow, infection, antibiotics- the whole shmear.

I noticed it and am going to get it checked out. Apparenlty they
sometimes have to drain it...how disabling is that? i've never had that
kind of thing done...

it's not that painful, just kind of stiff. How does it affect riding
after treatment?

share your stories!!! i'd love to know...

I had it after a crash two years ago. The elbow swelled up like a
grapefruit, and I iced it. After 4 days, I still had a squishy sac on
the end of my elbow, like you say, just like Popeye's, so I got it
checked out. They gave me Diclofenac, an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-
inflammatory drug) that unlike other NSAIDs like Aspirin, Ibuprofen,
or Naproxen, is not a blood-thinner. This allowed the bursa to drain
without it just refilling again. The doctor said if it didn't go down
in 2 weeks, that he'd drain it with a needle, but it went down after
about a week and a half on the Diclofenac.

During the whole ordeal, I never quit riding. I crashed 7 miles into
my 17-mile commute, but got back on and rode the rest of the way in.
I stayed at work the whole day (icing my elbow at my desk - it was
July 3rd and we were short-staffed, and I'm the team lead, so I
toughed it out) and rode the 17 miles home. I felt manly.
Old May 24th 08, 10:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

I'd say youre the idiot- criticizing others when YOU couldnt read and
comprehend.

On May 23, 10:47*pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
top-posted yet again:

read you idiot. "if i hadnt had a helmet i'd be asking about more than
my elbow"

To which you replied, "Helmet saved your life-- Pray to the helmet gods!!!"

You're just a complete idiot.

*PLONK*

On May 23, 5:36 pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
wrote {INSIPID TOP-POSTING FIXED}:

John Kane wrote:
On May 23, 1:23 am, wrote (for no
discernable reason):

Old May 24th 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
leebossa

thanks for the grisly details....
i had an x ray yesterday and the popeye's elbow seems to be caused by a
chip...i chipped the elbow bone in my fall. eewwww....the doctor said
there's really nothing you can do unless they remove the bone chip.
It's like the bone chips baseball players get...but they seem to pitch
or hit entire seasons with bone chips floating around in there.

Mine isn't the size of a grapefruit...it's just sore when i bump it or
put it on the table or something. My main problem with riding is that
ever since that crash i've had the willies...it shook my confidence a
bit which is entirely unlike me!but your horrible story cheered me up LOL...

Hank wrote:
[...]

say hi ... ... to my elbow monsterman Australia 36 October 16th 06 03:09 AM
best trials elbow pad? Seager Unicycling 5 November 6th 05 01:05 PM
I smashed my elbow dogbowl Unicycling 32 August 14th 05 05:09 PM
elbow ARMOR ColDawG Unicycling 16 March 31st 05 04:55 AM
what elbow guards? nickjb Unicycling 10 April 7th 04 10:35 PM