The Cyclist Disposition

Old July 14th 09, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Papa Tom[_3_]

Default The Cyclist Disposition

Can somebody explain to me why so many bicyclists are so angry? I
used to think it was ME and I used to take it personally when people
on these groups responded to my posts with sarcasm, bitterness, and
just plain rudeness. Then I realized that, no matter what I post,
there are always scores of cyclists out there waiting to twist words
around, misinterpret intentions, and blast back with a barrage of
really nasty stuff.

It is known that certain types of personalities are drawn to certain
types of activities. For me, bicycling has always been a social
thing, so I really enjoy sharing the experience with people, either in
person or on these groups. But it seems there are many, many cyclists
of the variety that prefers to ride alone, yell at children who get in
their way on a bike path, and make crap out of anyone who posts
anything on a cycling news group.

Has anyone ever done or seen a study about the Bicycling Personality;
i.e. what makes certain types of people get into bicycling?
Old July 14th 09, 06:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
raamman

On Jul 14, 12:51*pm, Papa Tom wrote:
[...]

I think the nasty people are really angry with themselves and the way
their life has turned out- you can walk away and ignore those people,
as rest assured, the misery they seek to unload is better borne by
themselves. Cycling is a synthesis of physical, spiritual and mental
volition: freedom - as such it only follows that someone who is
painfully constrained in that would seek to bind another fellow to
their miserable wind.
Old July 14th 09, 06:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman[_2_]

"Papa Tom" wrote:
Can somebody explain to me why so many bicyclists are so angry?(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What gives you the right to ask a question like that?

Seriously, I don't think it's bicyclists per se. I think it's newsgroups in
general that seem to collect personalities that get their jollies by acting
superior, putting people down, finding fault, and feeding their egos by in
this way. This is not a majority of the people who post. It's a
disproportionate number, though, and they feed on each other, making matters
worse.

There is also a greater urge to respond when you disagree than when you
agree, adding to the negativity of the mix.

And if you don't like it, you know what you can do with it. ;-)

Old July 14th 09, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Papa Tom wrote:
Can somebody explain to me why so many bicyclists are so angry?

They don't ride enough. Endorphine withdrawal.

Bill

__o |
_`\(,_ | Burn fat, not oil.
(_)/ (_) |
Old July 14th 09, 11:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill

They get angry when they run out of pot. Tetrahydrocannabinal
withdrawal.
Old July 15th 09, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Papa Tom writes:
Can somebody explain to me why so many bicyclists are so angry? I
used to think it was ME and I used to take it personally when people
on these groups responded to my posts with sarcasm, bitterness, and
just plain rudeness. Then I realized that, no matter what I post,
there are always scores of cyclists out there waiting to twist words
around, misinterpret intentions, and blast back with a barrage of
really nasty stuff.

That's not anger, that's just arrogance. Or perhaps more
often: feigned arrogance. Trouble is, written media such
as UseNet aren't conducive to expressing subtle nuance.

We have those clumsy emoticon things, but I suspect too
many really passive-aggressive people drop their Arrogance
Bombs, and then hide behind a handy-dandy smiley-face, as
if to say: "I didn't really mean it (but I really did.)"
CommandanteBanana hides behind emoticons a lot in such
manner when he responds to being called on his razmatazz.

And then there are hot button issues, which attract some
passionate debate. I like to think awareness of one's
fellow (contrary) participants' passions in such discussions
prevails, and strongly-worded points are raised -- as long
as they don't descend into downright mean, ad hominum attacks.

Sometimes a strongly-raised point draws a strongly-raised
counter-point. Those are always worth considering, even
if you don't initially (or ultimately) agree with them.
Doesn't make the person with whom you disagree a "bad" person.

But such discussions can become lively, and observers look for
winners & losers like in a boxing match, instead of considering
and adopting the resulting useful stuff which usually lies
somewhere between both diametric points of the argument.

It is known that certain types of personalities are drawn to certain
types of activities.

I like ten-pin bowling with women.
The view is often magnificent.
The gals are sweeter than a cherry Dr Pepper
or a DQ banana cream pie Blizzard.
I love 'em all.

Married men should take their wives out bowling
and then stop at the DQ more often (if you can
get away from the offsprings for a couple of hours.)
Share one of those lemon slushies that are so
refreshing on a sultry summer night ... two straws.

And that's what cyclists are Really all about.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

Old July 15th 09, 05:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob

On Jul 14, 11:51*am, Papa Tom wrote:
[...]

You can find the exact same type of posts in just about any newsgroup
regardless of the subject. It's a byproduct of the relative anonymity
of the Internet. As for any "Bicycling Personality", I don't believe
there is one. The regulars here are a very diverse group with widely
differing attitudes and opinions about a multitude of subjects. I'd
venture a guess that we all agree on just three things. First, that
bicycles are cool. Second, we are tired of spam postings. Third,
Commandante Banana is a pain. (But I repeat myself with the latter
two.)

Regards,
Bob Hunt
Old July 15th 09, 08:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
robertsrg

"raamman" wrote in message
[...]

Their degree of anger is directly related to their quality of life and
financial well being.
They're just ****ed cause they have to ride a stolen $135.oo job from
walmart.

Old July 15th 09, 08:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
robertsrg

You can find the exact same type of posts in just about any newsgroup
regardless of the subject. It's a byproduct of the relative anonymity
of the Internet. As for any "Bicycling Personality", I don't believe
there is one. The regulars here are a very diverse group with widely
differing attitudes and opinions about a multitude of subjects. I'd
venture a guess that we all agree on just three things. First, that
bicycles are cool. Second, we are tired of spam postings. Third,
Commandante Banana is a pain. (But I repeat myself with the latter
two.)

Regards,
Bob Hunt
You think it's bad here..... check out alt.comp.freeware. There's a bloody
war going on and none of it's about software. It's real personal.

Old July 15th 09, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Sornson[_5_]

robertsrg wrote:
You can find the exact same type of posts in just about any newsgroup
regardless of the subject. It's a byproduct of the relative anonymity
of the Internet. As for any "Bicycling Personality", I don't believe
there is one. The regulars here are a very diverse group with widely
differing attitudes and opinions about a multitude of subjects. I'd
venture a guess that we all agree on just three things. First, that
bicycles are cool. Second, we are tired of spam postings. Third,
Commandante Banana is a pain. (But I repeat myself with the latter
two.)

Regards,
Bob Hunt
You think it's bad here..... check out alt.comp.freeware. There's a
bloody war going on and none of it's about software. It's real
personal.

Would they flame you for not attributing Bob's material (or even showing
it's quoted)?

We're much nicer here eg

BS (a bit)