Time spent to travel

Old May 16th 04, 02:37 AM
Gawnsoft

Default Time spent to travel

On Sun, 16 May 2004 00:31:27 +0100, "DavidR"
wrote (more or less):
Anyway petrol is cheap. It takes roughly 40 minutes of work now to buy the
same amount of petrol that an hour of work took 25 years ago. Add in vehicle
economy, 34 minutes of work buys the same mileage.

I recently read of a US study.

Tally up the time spent travelling by private car.

Add the time taken to earn the money to pay for the car.

And the time taken to earn the money to pay for fuel.

And the time taken to earn the money to pay for insurance.

And the time taken to earn the money to pay for maintenance and
repairs.

Add the time taken to arrange and purchase all the above.

Divide the distance travelled
by ( the time taken to travel
plus the time taken to earn all that money
plus the time taken to look after the car)

Americans travelled at an average of 5mph!

Of course, cars and fuel are a lot cheaper ther than here, so it would
be surprising if our cars are that fast.

(If folk are interested I'll hunt about for the actual study).

--
Cheers,
Euan
Old May 16th 04, 04:49 AM
VeloBlogger

WOULD LOVE TO SEE THAT STUDY!
LOVE THE IDEA OF IT...

VELOBLOGGER
WWW.VELOBLOG.COM

Old May 16th 04, 11:41 AM
Purditer

Then they should get company cars.

"Gawnsoft" wrote in
message ...
wrote (more or less):
[...]

Smalltalk links (harvested from comp.lang.smalltalk)

http://html.dnsalias.net/gawnsoft/smalltalk

Old May 16th 04, 01:46 PM
Nathaniel Porter

How about this for an idea...

I drive because I enjoy driving. Life is too short to worry about money and
silly statistics.

:-)

Old May 16th 04, 02:35 PM
Tony Raven

Gawnsoft wrote:

I recently read of a US study.

Tally up the time spent travelling by private car.

Add the time taken to earn the money to pay for the car.

And the time taken to earn the money to pay for fuel.

And the time taken to earn the money to pay for insurance.

And the time taken to earn the money to pay for maintenance and
repairs.

Add the time taken to arrange and purchase all the above.

Divide the distance travelled
by ( the time taken to travel
plus the time taken to earn all that money
plus the time taken to look after the car)

Americans travelled at an average of 5mph!

Of course, cars and fuel are a lot cheaper ther than here, so it would
be surprising if our cars are that fast.

On that basis I spend a fortune cycling each week just on the time element
alone.

Tony

(If folk are interested I'll hunt about for the actual study).

Old May 16th 04, 02:49 PM
JNugent

Gawnsoft wrote:

I recently read of a US study.
Tally up the time spent travelling by private car.
Add the time taken to earn the money to pay for the car.
And the time taken to earn the money to pay for fuel.
And the time taken to earn the money to pay for insurance.
And the time taken to earn the money to pay for maintenance and
repairs.
Add the time taken to arrange and purchase all the above.
Divide the distance travelled
by ( the time taken to travel
plus the time taken to earn all that money
plus the time taken to look after the car)
Americans travelled at an average of 5mph!
Of course, cars and fuel are a lot cheaper ther than here, so it would
be surprising if our cars are that fast.
(If folk are interested I'll hunt about for the actual study).

I'd prefer to hear the result if the same approach were taken to railway
travel in the UK (using the full economic costs of course, including the
hours worked by those who are forced to pay substantial parts of the fares
of the rail-traveller, even though they may themselves rarely or never
travel by that C19 mode).

---

Old May 16th 04, 02:50 PM
PeterE

"Gawnsoft" wrote
in message ...

I recently read of a US study.

Tally up the time spent travelling by private car.

Add the time taken to earn the money to pay for the car.

And the time taken to earn the money to pay for fuel.

And the time taken to earn the money to pay for insurance.

And the time taken to earn the money to pay for maintenance and
repairs.

Add the time taken to arrange and purchase all the above.

Divide the distance travelled
by ( the time taken to travel
plus the time taken to earn all that money
plus the time taken to look after the car)

Americans travelled at an average of 5mph!

Of course, cars and fuel are a lot cheaper ther than here, so it
would be surprising if our cars are that fast.

But surely this is an argument against travel per se, rather than cars.

And much the same could be said of all other human activities. Ultimately
life is pointless, a time spent running furiously just to stand still. Maybe
we should all top ourselves.

--
http://www.speedlimit.org.uk
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." (William Pitt,

Old May 16th 04, 02:59 PM
Nick Finnigan

"Dave J" wrote in message

wrote (more or less):
Anyway petrol is cheap. It takes roughly 40 minutes of work now to buy the
same amount of petrol that an hour of work took 25 years ago. Add in vehicle
economy, 34 minutes of work buys the same mileage.

I recently read of a US study.

Tally up the time spent travelling by private car.

[..]

Of course, cars and fuel are a lot cheaper ther than here, so it would
be surprising if our cars are that fast.

(If folk are interested I'll hunt about for the actual study).

I'd be interested.

I'd be especially interested if you can point me to (just) figures
*here* for average hours per week spent driving and average distance
travelled.

The National Travel Survey claims 149 hours a year driving,
covering 3,411 miles so 23mph on average

Old May 16th 04, 04:17 PM
Gawnsoft

On Sun, 16 May 2004 14:50:01 +0100, "PeterE"
wrote (more or less):

"Gawnsoft" wrote
in message ...

I recently read of a US study.

Tally up the time spent travelling by private car.

Add the time taken to earn the money to pay for the car.

And the time taken to earn the money to pay for fuel.

And the time taken to earn the money to pay for insurance.

And the time taken to earn the money to pay for maintenance and
repairs.

Add the time taken to arrange and purchase all the above.

Divide the distance travelled
by ( the time taken to travel
plus the time taken to earn all that money
plus the time taken to look after the car)

Americans travelled at an average of 5mph!

Of course, cars and fuel are a lot cheaper ther than here, so it
would be surprising if our cars are that fast.

But surely this is an argument against travel per se, rather than cars.

Only if the results are the same across transport modes.

And much the same could be said of all other human activities. Ultimately
life is pointless, a time spent running furiously just to stand still. Maybe
we should all top ourselves.

Unless you find travelling from A to B an end in itself, I'm not sure
this is true.

Normally I go from A to B so that I can then carry out my human
activity there.

Driving nose to tail along the M4 isn't my idea of the purpose of
life. :-)

Old May 16th 04, 04:22 PM
Gawnsoft

On Sun, 16 May 2004 14:35:45 +0100, "Tony Raven"
wrote (more or less):

Gawnsoft wrote:

I recently read of a US study.

Tally up the time spent travelling by private car.

Add the time taken to earn the money to pay for the car.

And the time taken to earn the money to pay for fuel.

And the time taken to earn the money to pay for insurance.

And the time taken to earn the money to pay for maintenance and
repairs.

Add the time taken to arrange and purchase all the above.

Divide the distance travelled
by ( the time taken to travel
plus the time taken to earn all that money
plus the time taken to look after the car)

Americans travelled at an average of 5mph!

Of course, cars and fuel are a lot cheaper ther than here, so it would
be surprising if our cars are that fast.

On that basis I spend a fortune cycling each week just on the time element
alone.

Then again, maybe your 'all up' m.p.h. is higher than a cars each
week?

Unless of course, your bike was made out of unobtanium, in which case
all bets are off! :-)

--
Cheers,
Euan
Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr

TTT rules silliness Dan Connelly Racing 15 July 8th 04 12:08 AM
Saiz On Armstrong B. Lafferty Racing 25 July 4th 04 07:00 PM
Seeing the TDF in person Mike Jacoubowsky Racing 0 July 4th 04 05:34 AM
Where do I buy some time? Marty Mountain Biking 2 December 28th 03 12:09 PM
TDF: Nantes Time Trial Viewing tebo13 Racing 1 July 24th 03 02:24 AM